Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Seriously cassette tapes

An old collection cassette tapes
Found a box filled with Christmas cassette tapes in the Christmas closet.  Have not played such things in years, and actually  very rarely play CD's.  Today the music I play is by Alexa who has the wealth and breadth online, somewhere out there, in the cloud.  I shared this on FB and one of my friends wrote about our chronolgy of sounds, how we progressed just in our life times from 45''s, and I still remember the thrill of having my very own little cd record player, it resembled a small suitcase and I could play my Elvis records anywhere that I could plug in.  Now the box of these tapes is a reminder of how audio  technology and home entertainment  has changed.  I have discovered, remembered that we could play these on an old cassette player, a vintage looking Crosley player that we purchased here several years ago to play our LP's.  Well so back onto the shelf went the box. 

 But later that same day I had talked to me enough, conversation with self went something like this:

??? When was the last time you played these?  
 Response Don't know but look there is a Statler Brothers tape, an Otmar Lieber tape, 
???  And though you were supposed to be clearing out junl?
 Response from my heart  But really cannot be junk, so enjoyed these for so many years
???  And repeat when was the last time
 Response  OK well probably in CA because I have an extensive collection of CD's too.
???  And there is something else, you never play CD's either.  Geet a grip it is not like this closet is still not brimming with things.  Someday you will croak and imagine these will go immediately into the trash, so better do it now.  At least save someone from one head shaking moment when they toss and comment, "what the hell was she thinking saving this crap?"  

So I carted the box out, put it upstairs and it will go to either Goodwill or the church rummage sale.  And there someone else can make the decision without agonizing, toss or sell?  By the way not one response on FB to say, "hey send them to me...."  of course not, who plays cassettes?  No one.

Now back to maybe clearing out more stuff, sure there is plenty of room in that storage closet, but get a grip, get rid of it.   

Our downstairs Christmas/Easter/ etc storage closet



No comments:

Post a Comment