|45 year old woven wheat magnet|
made in PA by elderly Polish lady
But a couple weeks ago, I came down with the sorest mouth I have ever had, when it started I thought I had burned the roof of my mouth. By the next day, I was beginning to hurt more but could not see any swelling along the upper right gum, etc, so I figured it would just wear away. Googling indicated that a burned mouth could take a few days to heal and I was still thinking that's what I had done.
That night my upper right throbbed, the pain was unlike anything I have ever experienced. Actually I have never had a tooth ache in 73 years so I am pretty darn fortunate. But that Thursday evening I could not sleep and I figured this was going to mean a dentist visit. I got through the night by taking an Advil every hour to little relief. Fridays my dentist is closed but she takes calls at home. When I told her what was going on, she correctly diagnosed an infection and called in heavy penicillin and told me to follow dosage and to take 4 advil at a time. Call her if not better. Well, yes much relief and I was seeing some slight swelling on the outer gum line, but still no indication, no abscess, nothing definitive. My right cheek was getting puffy too. But I could sleep that night and I could identify the sore tooth, #4 inside upper right, a premolar. It was sensitive to biting on it. But the unbearable pain was gone and I knew I would live: during the pain siege I was sure I would have to get better to die.
Monday the dentist xrayed and sure enough a sign of infection above that tooth. Worse the tooth had an old root canal likely done sometime before 2004 in CA. I was not sure when. I learned that a root canal can wear out and in this case infection had proven that. So we can keep learning at any age. My dentist said she would send me to an endodontic specialist because she would not retreat the root canal and she was sure that was what was needed. Well, but it is holiday times, and closing in on end of year when those with dental insurance want to use their benefits before year end. Despite her calls and my pleading the specialist had no openings until January 31. But we had planned to be gone. What to do? What are the odds of my going on our merry way south and nothing happening? My dentist could not predict. It might never happen again or it might return. She could try to arrange treatment for me in Florida and could call in another antibiotic prescription if the infection returned. She knew I wanted to get down south. But no guarantees, no odds, it either will or won't. I guess one might call that 50/50.
Friends were of mixed opinion, go on your way and risk it, might never happen, get it treated when you return in spring. But I am not a gambler and the older I get the fewer risks I am comfortable taking. Jerry said I could decide and either way it would be ok. There were two more days during which we could cancel all our reservations in FL without paying a penalty. The penalties would have been nearly $600-up to $1000. Jerry said ignore the $$. But not me, I am too cheap! Look at what else I could do with that $$.
So I canceled and said, "we will stay north." Fortunately we do not have to go out in inclement weather if we do not need to. We have little snow, a smattering on the ground, but it is brutally cold. This cold is expected to hang around for another week. Hunker in. Then I called the specialist and the January 31st opening was gone, now I cannot get in until February 13th. I figure the worst that will happen is he will do another scan and evaluation and say, all it well. No need to retreat the root canal. And then we could go south later than planned. We will have missed out on the RV rallies though. As another local friend said, "you can be sure now that you will stay home that not a thing will happen, but if you had gone...."
So here we are. All is not lost, I have unlimited projects to keep me occupied at home. And there are far worse things can happen to a person. And perhaps we can get some southern migration in later. It is our intent to look for a permanent wintering RV spot in Florida and that will take some consideration and exploration. Meantime, that's my little tale of woe for the Christmas season, kind of like a lump of coal in the stocking for anyone who remembers coal as I do.