Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, April 9, 2010

Sepia Saturday Week 18 Ostrowski Sisters (Click here to view others' posts)

Today I share the oldest photo I have of my beloved maternal Grandma, Rose Ostrowski Kochanowski (1895-1970) with her sisters and brothers, some of Frank Ostrowski’s children. I found this torn and ragged at the bottom of an old suitcase when I cleared my mother’s house in 2004; Mom had written the names on the photo who knows when. I was amazed to discover this and so wish I could have known about it when my grandmother was alive to tell where and when, etc.


This was the wedding of Rose’s brother Joseph to Catherine Buhl (Buehl) in New York. Date unknown. Joseph (1878-1957) is the oldest of Frank’s children from the first wife and appears to have migrated from Poland with his parents. I have not been able to identify the three young girls seated in front. The others are, seated left to right, my Grandma Rose, brother and the groom Joseph Ostrowski, the bride Catherine Buhl (sp?) and brother Ben Ostrowski (1883-1959). Standing are her sister Veronica (Vernie 1892-1961) who married Alex Roginski, brother Walter F known as Bill (1889-1956)who changed his name to Austin, and sister Mary (1891-1964) who married Thomas Janosky.

Rose, Mary, Veronica and Bill were Frank Ostrowski’s children from his second wife, Frances Swartz who was from either Germany or a German occupied part of Poland (1869- 1902). My grandma never distinguished half brothers or sisters; they were all family, all Ostrowskis and that was all that mattered.  By the way my line of Ostrowski's spelled their names with or without the "w" and several other variations... The sisters remained very close throughout their lives. Rose outlived them all except for the baby, Francie whom we saw on previous Sepia. Many Sundays I accompanied my grandma on the bus ride across the river so she could see her sisters Mary and Vernie. Sometimes they made the journey to my grandma’s house, but Aunt Mary’s house was bigger with a formal dining room so most gatherings were there. But my grandma would haul pastries and pies along that she had carefully made the day before. All the sisters could cook, but Rose was the best baker and so these treats were often  her  contribution to most gatherings.

Here are the sisters and their husbands in 1945 during one of Francie Mroz’s visits.

Seated left to right, Mary, Rose, Francie and Vernie; behind them their husbands ( left to right) Tommy Janosky, Teofil Kochanowski, Al Mroz, Alex Roginski.  This is the only photo I have of all the girls and guys together. Notice those old  cars to the side.

I recall little about Great Aunt Vernie except that she became very ill and bedbound at the last; I think she suffered stokes. Aunt Mary remains very vivid in my memories; she was always in a good mood and always smiling. Somehow she found the good and the humorous in everything. Whenever I would act silly or burst out into uncontrollable laughter as a child my grandma would say, “you are just like Mary she thinks everything is funny too!”

Actually whenever I would act out or up as in this photo of me with a purple costume wig and my Grandma Rose in 1961 after Granpap died, she would say, "just like my sister Mary!"  I had decided that we had enough of being sad and that  Granpap would not want us sitting and mourning.  My poor Grandma didn't find a lot to laugh about at the time, so I tried to cheer her up being silly. 

Aunt Mary’s laughter was so contagious that people caught it quickly just being around her. I remember Mary and my grandma washing dishes after a big family dinner and holding their sides doubling over with laughter at the sink. Rose threw her wet dish rag at Mary telling her to “stop making me laugh I am going to wet myself!” That only brought more laughter and my grandma’s mad dash to the bathroom. Today when I get an attack of the giggles I think of my great aunt Mary.

 I don't know how she kept a straight face for this snapshot of their 60th something wedding anniversary, Mary and Tommy Janosky. But he looks like he is about to laugh, maybe expecting something from Mary soon.   Rose kept this photo which featured the cake she had made for them and all the  pink roses.  



In that same suitcase was this old photo of a mystery girl, whom I believe is posed for Communion and who must be one of the Ostrowski's though no one could identify her.  She is certainly serious.   


As a result of these Sepia Saturday posts I have been contacted by some previously unknown relatives in PA, FL and OK; all part of the Ostrowski lineage. They were Googling and found me here. I hope that the same good luck continues so I can resolve more of this puzzle of my family.

17 comments:

  1. I love that last picture! And how wonderful that you're hearing from other Ostrowskis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure of family photographs. Every family should have a Mary, to cheer things up. I do hope more of your relatives get in contact with some of the missing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating story and I love your little mystery girl at the end. She certainly was serious.

    It would be nice if someone with a knowledge of her identity were to find you. But, on the other hand, a little mystery is also nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure to find that first photo in the bottom of a suitcase! It is so wonderful! I love to see the family pics when they were young and then the same people decades later...all grown and married. Your Aunt Mary sounds like such a delight, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting family history--it's wonderful how laughter can call these women relatives back to your mind--they certainly live on with you in that way & I'm sure in many others. Loved all the photos, & was intrigued to see that Sepia Saturday has help you to connect with some relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that, being contacted by family members because of Sepia Saturday!
    I love the Communion photo.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mystery girl looks a lot like Aunt Mary in her anniversary picture. I'm intrigued by the look on Ben's face in the wedding photo. He looks like he might have a sense of humor, too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought about it might be Mary too, but since it was not identified unless someone comes forth who knows...a puzzle to me is she is standing there and her feet look large. None of the sisters had big feet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treasure to find at the bottom of an old suitcase! I love the serendipity of events like that. I love the 'silly' laughter-inducing poses that are sometimes rejected for the photo album. These, along with the more serious ones, make a balanced whole. Like other have commented, the communion picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some Lovely Photos Pat.And! Hey! A Very Seriously Cool Wig!Thank You for sharing here.Best Wishes,Tony Zimnoch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so nice that you have family getting a hold of you. I want that to happen. I have a table in my living room right now that looks just like the one in your last photo. Your oldest photo is such a treasure in time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are we a privileged generation? We seem to be able to command such a span of time and lifestyles. The picture of your grandmother seems to reach back so far and yet we provide a connection between these far off times and the modern world. That is what I always find so fascinating about these Sepia Saturday posts of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just stumbled on this page searching for clues about my great-grandpa, Felix Ostrowski (I think born in Rosholt, Wisconsin.) Nothing is really known about him except that he had 5 boys and remarried. First wife was Florence (she later remarried, and last name became Burnick- maiden name is a mystery.) It's such a puzzle, because the baby boomers never took much of an interest in their parents' history, so I'm left with many unanswered questions. Well, anyway, just thought I would say hi You never know, we might be long lost cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rebecca I could not reply to you, there was not email link....I do not know of a Felix in the Ostrowski line...but my family of Ostrowski's spelled their names all kinds of ways-- with and without the "w" and then census workiers would change it too. I do know that the Frank Ostrowski, my grandmother's father came from a large family, they spread out all over the north east...who knows but that we may have a link..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again Pat. After some more internet research, I was able to link my Grandpa's history as far back as 1711! Here is a direct link: http://genealogy.beakerboy.com/individual.php?pid=I152&ged=Nowaczyk-Belanger

    My Great Grandpa is Felix and it looks like he had a brother named Frank Chester, but the date wouldn't coincide with your sepia photograph. Still, it was such a delight to come across your website.

    My Grandpa is having some health issues, and this "family search" has brought some happiness to him. Thanks again!

    olsen_rebecca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. enjoyed your page and hope my info will help, I am tracing the Ostroski family for my grandson, and just in two weeks have buildt a large tree. It seems they all started from Putzig Germany/Prussia or there abt. this line immigrated to USA abt 1830-50 Detroit Wayne Mich. some went to Mass, Penn, NY, Okla, and other US states. this line starts with Casimir Ostrowski, (note the W), b 1793 md Marianna Herter 1821 Putzig Germany, I found several children but not yet verified : Anton, Martin, Joseph, Marianna, Johann, Frank, are just a few. Anthony (Anton) 1834 md Josephine Kuttni (Kutny) Prussia 1859, children John anton, Louise, marianna, not verified. John b 1861 and img Detroit d there 1926 md Elizabeth lachovsky 1898, issued Anthony, Marie, John, Lillian, George, the next gen, Anthony S. 1889 md Emma Ruhlman 1913, he d 1930 Emma d 1936 there children lived with oldest sister Antonitte who md William Sims, The Ostroske then spelled was George 1916, his grave marker calls him Von Braun, Lucile 1912, Anthony James 1922, the line I am researching, Rose Mary 1924, Deloris 1927. are any of these your Ostroski/ske/sky/strowske's would love to hear from any of you looking for this line. skardux@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandra, I am sure somewhere on that line there is a link, I have other Ostrowski, ske, skie, etc. spellings on this blog including Frank who was my maternal great grandfather....yes the Poland Prussia link is the same for me. I am unable to reply to you on the blog, please send me a directi email at pmorrison44@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete