Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My whimsical blue bottle garden

Sometime back on our travels I noticed somewhere in Arkansas or Louisiana several bottles in a yard on sticks and in the ground as garden art. I think there was a sign "Grandma's bottle garden." I thought it looked cool and always planned to do that someday. I had been saving blue wine bottles for this purpose. But most of the wines I prefer Chardonnay, Pinot noir, merlot, pinot grizio do not come in blue bottles, so progress was slow. And then like many of my ideas, I forgot about it. But I did have these five bottles setting awaiting their spot outside. Jerry thought this was another dumb idea and ignored it as he can do so easily when he is uninterested in my antics.

This week on my pedaling around town voila, someone had beat me to it and had  a display of  arrays of wine bottles of all colors in groupings on their front flower border and near the street on the mowing strip. I pedaled over and got off my bike to take a look recalling, this is something I intended to do and had not gotten around to. Whoever lives there on Main St. right off Maple in town is selling these wine bottle arrangements with dowels for $20 for six and on up, $40 for six blue bottles. Something is wrong here, that is an empty wine bottle!  Who would have thought anyone would buy that? 

Now, I am way ahead of this, I do not need to buy wine bottles, because that is my almost daily beverage of choice and I can empty those easily while enjoying its medicinal effects. I was curious about how they mounted the bottles and if they had soldered them to the dowel. Closer exam showed they only stuck the bottle atop the stick. And I was fixated on how to anchor the bottles onto something so they would not shatter in the winds. There was one quite lovely potted arrangement with white rocks over the top of the pot for $40 as well. No one was home because their little sign by the bottles said, to leave money in the mailbox to purchase them. See here in “Mayberry” we do such things and expect people to be honest. It’s a good place to live. I would have liked to talk to whoever was doing this and offer a supply of future bottles to them, but no one around. I thought they looked way cool and put that on my to do list for this week. So today I sent Jerry scrounging to the garage below and he found 4 fiberglass dowels, one short of my need. But I found an old wooden spoon I'd saved fpr dirt work, burying the spoon into the dirt gave me another dowel.

In a spot outside the bedroom closet window along the front my blue bottle garden is now in bloom. Jerry is still shaking his head, but I feel I accomplished something unique. And what a good way for me to contribute to Earth Week, recycling my own wine bottles. Well I do separate and set them into recycle anyway, but this use is right up my alley. I now will begin to save my other green and tan wine bottles for a bottle garden out back! Just what I needed another reason to open a bottle of wine! And think of it, drought tolerant and never need to fertilize.  A winning arrangement for sure!

4 comments:

  1. Great minds!!!! I have begun the gathering process too. I am not certain what I'll put them on or how I'll do it but I can't wait to have a beautiful bottle tree this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful having all blue bottles. It will look nice as a sculpture among the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it finally happened! You and Bob have damn near crossed over. He had me order him a bottle cutting kit. I protested as it was expensive (by my standards). He insisted and I did it. Then one day when we went over to my brother Doug's in Marysville ( his bar is the Field and Stream) and lo and behold there is a huge sack of blue Sky Vodka bottles waiting for him!!! Grrrrr! He wanted to cut the bottom out of the bottles and mount it in a wall or picture frame that was lit. He wanted the light to shine through. I just knew he would cut a hole in my beautiful dining room exterior wall so he could see the filtered light. The next request was that I should start drinking Sky Vodka!! I drew the line on that one. I told him unless he got a job and bought it for me Hell would freeze over before I paid that price for a comfort drink for a blue bottle wall that I DIDN'T want. He clearly understood if he intended to pursue this project he had better keep his deal with my brother.

    Bottles are now gone and Danny asked for the bottle cutting kit... do you know what dollar bills look like when mounted as wings on a craft kit? They sound like a fluttering of the heart. Where's the cardiologist??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I simply say what a comfort to find a person that actually understands what they are discussing on
    the net. You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More and more people ought to check this out and understand this side of the story.

    I can't believe you are not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.
    Feel free to visit my blog animals being abused

    ReplyDelete