Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Monday, April 12, 2010

Magpie Tales Week 9 (Click here to visit others through the portal)

The women said, “Slap on a little lipstick and you’ll feel better!” All the movie stars had red lips. All the beautiful women in the movies and in those magazines we looked at over the counter at the Sun Drug or at JCMurphy Five and Dime.  Betty Ann was a lucky one; her older sisters, Arlene and  Delores bought those magazines and she could see them at home.  Never mind TV it was black and white back in those days, lips didn't matter.

I could not wait to get my first lipstick; I remember it today so many years ago, fifty or so. It was Tangee Natural and gave a slight tint to the lips. Not so much as a real color to say, “Read my lips.” Tangee was our initial step to the world of makeup and glamour that surely awaited us beyond our early teen years. It was the only selection all our mothers allowed, the tube of preference. Did every mother own stock in that company? Tangee was not much more than a slightly tinted Chapstick, but we wore it with pride.

The Ridge Avenue drugstore up the hill from our junior high school displayed delicious devilish Revlon lipsticks. We girls of the 50’s looked longingly at the tubes on display. We busied ourselves and saved our dollars from babysitting until we could buy our first very own tube of something scrumptious, a vibrant red “Cherries in the Snow.” We stashed those cherished tubes in our lockers at school, slathering our lips as soon as we arrived at school. Blowing kisses to each other and to the occasional boy with our garnished lips. By the time we headed home our lips were back to Tangee Natural and all was well. Ahh we were on our road to glamour.

Until, the parent teacher conference when Mrs. Terwilligear said, “Why does Patty slather her lips with that atrocious red paint? Why don’t you get her a tube of Tangee Natural? It would be so much more becoming than that painted mouth”

None of us, least of all yours truly ever imagined we’d be outed by our Eighth Grade English teacher. We lived in our fantasy world of “what happens at school stays at school", years before Las Vegas adopted the phrase as its motto. My mother was shocked or maybe not; but she was never one to beat around the bush, she confronted me as soon as she returned home “So where were you getting that red lipstick you’ve been wearing at school?” Busted and too sheepish to deny it. Denial would have meant a story and I never could react fast enough to Mom to make something up. End of my ruby reds; didn’t matter that it was my own babysitting money earned for such a purchase as this; down with the tube! Afraid to test my independence further, I surrendered my tube of Cherries in the Snow to Mom the next day after school as ordered. My friends and I were up the same creek in the same boat and so we regressed to Tangee and secretly savored that day when we might be able to have those red lips again! That walk home from school the next day was a sad one for all three of us, “What do you think your mom will do with the lipstick?” " I don't know and I'm not going to ask, the sooner she gets over it the better for me." 

Today I smile recalling my early episode of the lips. I have an array of lipsticks, few of which I ever remember to smooth on. When I do treat my lips to something like this, my new favorite Black Honey, which is lighter, more neutral on my lips than in the tube, the lipstick is soon gone with the first cup of coffee or bite of toast. I seldom keep lipstick on. Actually I use a gloss or a lip balm for the moisture; where is that Tangee natural when I would like to use it! We have come so far that the circle is complete and I would be willing to close the loop back at the beginning.

This has been my girly tale  based on actual life events; I was there and lived to tell about  it!  This is week 9 of our Magpie  endeavor,  created by Willow and enjoyed by many of us out here in the blogosphere.  To see how others used this week's photo prompt, click above on the title and  then click on any of the other Magpie participants.     I', loving this new Magpie Stamp...though it  looks more like a crow or raven to me :)

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love this story -- like a walk down memory lane -- although it was the 60's for me -- close enough and my best friend's mother sold Avon -- we had access to all the free samples.. now I wear a light neutral shade for day time -- and night time slight shade darker, don't experiment any more with all the colors out there. Same problem with keeping the lipstick went to the longer lasting promise of 8 hours -- more like 2 hours,,

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet mom used that lipstick on her own lips! Good story, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the Cherries in the Snow!!! Did you see my post? I use that very same Revlon color in my story about my mother, that was her one and only color throughout her life. What a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane with the 50's Tangee, and saving for cosmetics, and getting caught! Lovely Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the second post that's mentioned Tangee lipstick. Must evoke some memories.
    God, to be outed by your English teacher...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story. When I started painting my lips, the color trend was pale pinks, pearly colors and sort of pinkish-brown neutrals, so my parents didn't complain much. But I remember when my mother figured out that I'd shaved my legs. And like you, I got the lectures on starving children and always offered to wrap up my leftovers for my parents to send it to the Christian missionaries in China for them to distribute. Never happened. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies Home Journal..for sure...submit
    This was wonderful. You really gave us a taste of the times...and they were good
    Great telling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pat: I love the "And You Were There" feel to this 50's story. It is amazing that you were reprimanded by your teacher for wearing and what was considered in the day "the colour of harlots". Personally I like Revlon reds. They do red well. Your teacher (and I had teachers like that) old bitties without a man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/because-she-is-plain-magpie-tale/

    my first ry,
    I appreciate your time reading and giving feedback1
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Chiccoreal, all the teachers would tell on any little thing back then; it was a different place and time--back in the day when a neighbor would correct you if they saw you doing something they thought not right. We'd no more have challenged them or teachers than we would have our parents;today it's all about the kid and their feelings..and teacher's likely never mention a thing let alone lipstick! What a laugh in comparison to what happens today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't resist looking this up for you:

    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Apothecary/Cosmetics/Tangee-Rouge/D/30100/P/1:100:1000:10020/I/f08577?searchid=7LG1SRCH&feedid=googlenonbrand

    That Vermont Country Store has everything!

    Happy to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. everyday Goddess, I sent an email reply but do so here! Thank you. I am familiar with Vermont Country store--have not ordered from them in a long time though... but now I have to do this....I cannot wait to buy Tangee, and I will bet it is way more than Mom ever shelled out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! This all sounds so familiar -- I remember Cherries in the Snow -- Revlon was so iconic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat,
    To tell the truth, I've forgotten whether the girls in school wore bright colored lipstick or not. If they did it wasn't attention getting for me anyways.
    Those first ventures into free-will were monitored closely by both teachers and parents. Not so much today.
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  14. After sneaking into my mother's make-up case and smearing on too much of her lipstick, the day finally came when I could buy my own. I was excited and wore too much too often. Now - so many years later - I have learned to tone it down. It's hard to create that natural look. (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete