Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Stupenabulous!

That’s the word I made up to describe Andy Williams' show! He deserves his own word because regular words cannot describe his performance. No intermission, two hours of show primarily all Andy. A full theater which must seat nearly 3000 was enthralled the entire time. One routine was his new song, at least new to me, "Words" done to Ode to Joy, Beethoven's 9th I believe. One phrase there is, .."We have one life to live but words will last forever...” You know how I love words, reading and writing so this song really struck home with me. I'll look for that on the internet after we return home. Now that lovely melody is running in my mind.

We were surprised that Andy is such a small man, but as Jerry said, "we are not all basketball players." Andy is shorter than Jerry, maybe 5' 5", white hair which reminded both of us of Rick Bruni the first time he walked on stage. But as far as I know, Rick does not sing, maybe they have golf in common though. Andy is 82, having just celebrated his birthday. He is quite agile and not humped or slumped or slow and stands the entire time. I could see that his hands are wrinkled like someone in their 80's but otherwise who would know?

I purchased an autographed copy of his new memoir which was just released in October. He discussed that it took him over a year to write it and his efforts at sitting down to write. I appreciated that because sometimes these words come and sometimes blank. These books were available throughout the theater. The gift shop was so full that I did not spend much time there. Wish there had been a booklet about the complex which is the finest we have seen anywhere! Classy place with antique Navaho rugs hanging along a wall into one door of the seating. Japanese silk kimonos are encased along the back of the theater .Photos of Andy through his life and with ever so many entertainers are displayed everywhere in the lobby.

Other performers included his full accompaniment band on stage in a gorgeous white snowy setting, dressed in white; Andy is a contrast in his black tux; the Warlock sisters who are a quartet of young women singers and part of his vocal back up, whom Andy introduces as his new Osmond brothers; a couple who were Russian Bolshoi ballet dancers, the woman changed costumes so many times on stage with the wave of feathers and silk right before our eyes leaving us all gasping in wonder at how she changed instantly in front of us, we lost count of the costume changes; and an outstanding male vocalist whose name I don't recall but who sang along with Andy in one number where Andy reminisced whom he'd select if he were to do an album of duets. This man sang perfect imitations of all the other singers, Dean Martin, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, and even Andy himself! Hearing Andy in a duet with Andy was beyond.

I am so thoroughly pleased with myself for the array of venues I chose and for getting us tickets to Andy who can't be topped so it is just as well that we leave today. Oh my hand is now tired from patting myself on my back. Earlier this week when we went to get tickets to Andy, the box office said there were 475 seats left. There was not an empty seat last night in the beautiful Moon River Theater with the exquisite sound system. One regret is I did not take my camera. Every show cautions people to not take photos nor to record and to turn off cell phones. So I did not see any reason to take the camera. We were the third row and could have reached out to touch his hand when he walked along People were snapping photos all over. We were appalled but it seemed to be permissible. Drats! We have to rely on our memories.

We did not notice as many busloads herded to this performance. Perhaps because the tickets are among the most expensive in Branson. Our seats were $46 each. Arriving inside requires walking through acres of hundreds of trees all strung with white lights. It's quite a hike so there were not as many feeble folks at the performance, though we did notice a wheel chair or two. Busses cannot drive up to the doors of Moon River. Andy's Moon River restaurant looks quite the place too and is adjacent to the theater. He says this place is his pride and joy and we can fully understand that. For a boy from Iowa farmland, Andy Williams has triumphed.

When he sang Ave Maria with angelic ballet dancers down the aisles in white filmy apparel the entire theater hushed with awe. I kept my eyes on him nearly the entire time in wonder at where that magnificent voice came from, such a small man in stature with the most magnificent voice! Have always been a fan of Mr. Moon River, but seeing him in person is almost indescribable. We have seen shows all over the country, Tahoe, La Vegas, even Broadway, but this performance has to be the top or right among top three. For the entire time, no intermission, Andy entertained and sang. His only breaks were when the sisters performed a micro selection from Sound of Music, tho' he vocalized "Do, a Deer" with them then stepped aside, and when the Russian clothes change artistic dancers performed. Stamina personified in the Voice! Moon River was nearly his last number and that brought the audience to our feet!

We are preparing to leave Branson now, so I cannot continue to write more about Andy Williams. Anyone who gets the chance to see him should do it immediately. He is someone we would see again. I still cannot figure out how that voice comes from that small man! Such are the miracles of life!

A fine way to wrap up our visit and entertainment of the week! I have seen nearly every Andy Williams TV Christmas show, but this tops that. I am thankful for the experience and better for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment