Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Saturday, April 17, 2021

It's easy


 First the good news, I have found a good, decent, reliable handyman to hire do things that I cannot.   That is a relief and although I am learning all the time there is still much that is beyond my capability,  so much that Jerry did always and I cannot.  Often I do not know where to begin but stumble along.  When I am successful I feel very proud of me.  When I am challenged it is frustrating.  

 Lately doors seem to be my challenge.  That old adage, "when one door closes another opens,,,,"  maybe, maybe not.  For me lately I have not found  doors opening so I am waiting.  Mostly it  seems that I stand behind that closed door looking out and wondering, watching, waiting.  

 Months ago  to keep busy during sub zero temps I was polishing all the wooden doors and trims inside the house, a huge effort that I have never done all alone before. 
And being short I had to use the 2Step Stool to reach the tops of the doors and trims.  Kept me busy.  Then I tackled the downstairs where I yanked and pulled a folding dual wooden door off track between the study and TV room.  It began to fold up and come down on me, bigger than me but I got it to the floor.  Trouble was I could not put it back up, Called a friend to the rescue who restored it and had to unbend the bracket I'd twisted.  He and his wife cautioned me that could have been really bad and I was lucky and please be careful.  I try to be,  And yes, what would I have done underneath, wedged into the folding door,on the floor, alone, here?  But  thankfully my tribe of angels guarded me once more.  

Last winter the two end boards at the corner of the deck came loose, the wood had deteriorated.  I patched it  by holding it together with zip ties and shoved it back, wedging it into place to hold through the winter.  It did that. Nothing else came loose and the lattice work 
stayed put too,  I imagined everything would begin to fall apart like a towering jenga stucture  where a balancing piece had been pulled loose, thankfully it turned out to be not so.  So early this year I checked and decided a dose of gorilla glue could work on that wood while I figured out how to get it fixed.  I need to keep it secured and the screen in place to thwart wild life critters, rabbits, squirrels, etc  from taking up residence underneath the deck.  So I couldn't have been happier when Bob , the handyman looked at it and said, "oh that is an easy fix, I'll stop by and get it in no time."  And he did.  It was easy for him.  He replaced the ends with sturdier boards, treated wood that I can paint later when it is warmer or not.  Easy.  

So the back door to the garage is warped and has seen better days. It is original to this house.  Jerry was going to replace it, "one of these days..." and well now here I am.  So I asked Bob who again said, " sure easy.."   He measured it, told me to get a right hand swing, new lock and to go over to Menards and look, pick out what I wanted but advised me to get steel insulated, Mastercraft brand.  In another month or so because he is booked busy for a few weeks.  Well I won't be doing this until after Jerry's committal service May 7 anyway, so that works for me.  

Out of curiosity I looked on line today at Menards and wow!  Who knew a door could be so complicated, sure the dimensions are easy but so many other things, options, so I will need another quick consult before deciding.  These things that are so easy for a man who knows what to do are as challenging as a door closing in my face to me.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment