Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Everything has a back story

My trusty Kenmore Jerry bought for
me in 1968, my birthday present,

 Posted on FB (see excerpt below) about my sewing machines and got to thinking about all the stories of my life that are attached to almost everything I have.  I like to share these on FB because I get a lot of feedback ad comments from friends all over the country.  Sometimes it really stirs up memories for some people.  And sometimes it is amazing how alike so many of my friends from PA days and I remain with skills like sewing.   Now I have no one to share those stories with...so this blog has to do.  

The other day I bought a new pair of khaki denim jeans at the Rootin'Crown Botique in LaCrosse,  for only $6.  Brand new, designers, original tags still on.  At that price, I grabbed a pair, besides they are petite sized 4 and fit, except too long, would have to be hemmed.  I can do that easily but was feeling lazy and thinking I could help support another local business by taking them to the Dry cleaners that does alterations.  It wouldn't cost too much so I decided to do that.  All the while my inside voice kept hounding me that  I was wasting money, I could do this myself readily, I have hemmed hundreds of jeans, slacks, etc...But when I tried to take them to the place the snarky slobby clerk announced that they were not "doing any alterations now"  WTH?   So I left immediately, brought my jeans home and took them down stairs to hem,  And my inside voice rejoiced!  So I trimmed, pressed and hemmed my new jeans at home in about 30 minutes altogether on my trusty very old Kenmore Sewing machine. 

My downstairs sewing closet

 

From my FB page: "Just hemmed a pair of bargain jeans on my old trusty Kenmore sewing machine that Jerry bought for my birthday in 1968. When we moved from CA I as going to pitch it but my late friend Sandy who was a quilter & sewer told me to keep it,that it as very well made, no plastic parts and mechanically good. So it came along and we found an old cabinet at an estate sale for it. Had it serviced/tuned up years ago here by a local gentleman who repaired/adjusted sewing machines. He and his wife who was a seamstress both told me if I ever didn't want it to call them, that it was an outstanding machine one of the best Kenmore made.... So I kept it & never did buy a new fancier digital one. It has sewed everything over the years and latest masks...has been my go to sewing machine..one of 3 I have. My late aunt gave me a portable Montgomery Wards when we first bought this home because she said "you cannot be without a sewing machine. " That was as essential to her as a stove but she kept her old time singer and used it forever too. I bought a small cabinet for the portable but kept it's antique mini Gold Leaf machine inside it. That's my tale of 3 sewing machines. They do not make'em like that anymore. And then too many just toss and replace for newer, faster, etc "

Motgomery Wards portable sewing
machine
Back to Rootin'Crown, a different unique local  thrift store that specializes in being clean, displaying items nicely, not having junk or cheap stuff, and above all does not smell. It is staffed totally by volunteers from different organizations in the area.   Donors and purchasers can designate a local charity to receive part of the proceeds.  I just donate to my friend's parish because that is easy for me.  I had forgotten about the place but on the news one evening there was a brief story about them.  Wow!  Wished I had thought about them when I was do busily clearing out Jerry's clothes and boots.  So many of the better things I could have donated here but instead took nearly all to the Salvation Army,  ah well, at least they may be put to use by someone else. 

But the gist of this post was to keep my story going, to have it out here on blogland until who knows when.   It serves a purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment