Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pumpkin time

My healthy carrot pumpkin muffins
It's pumpkin flavor time of the year.  But, with my participation with great success in the nutrition program at the Y I have become a fat detective investigating all foods.  I am not baking  nor buying some pumpkin treats I most enjoy, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie cake and Culver's pumpkin frozen custard although I am saving room for pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving and will build an allowance for that in my daily consumption tallies. 

 In my search for more pumpkin to fill the void, I remembered a healthy, low fat muffin recipe from several years back that used a can of pumpkin in a chocolate cake mix...but I did not want chocolate, I wanted pumpkin.  Why not  a healthy muffin, cakelike and moist, carrot pumpkin.  I seldom post recipes on this blog, but have been so happy about this modification that satisfied my pumpkin seasonal craving that I share it  today.    It is a very easy thing to put together.  These are good for a breakfast treat as well as a desert or snack.  The fat grams are minimal and since that is what I watch, it's a winner....

Here's my adapted recipe:
  • 1 box butter pecan cake mix       Do not use a brand with pudding in the mix as it adds to the fat.. This is what I had in the cupboard but you could use spice, carrot or plain yellow cake.    The entire box of mix had only 3 grams fat and 170 calories.
  • 2 eggs    The original recipe calls for 3 egg whites, lower fat content, but I do not like to throw away the yolks, so I use  the entire egg.  That adds 9 grams fat and 150 calories.
  • 1 16 oz can of pumpkin     Not pumpkin pie mix, just plain pumpkin.  This adds only 2 grams fat and 160 calories.
  • 1/2+cup very finely diced carrot bits  No fat appx 25 calories
  • 1 teaspoon each  all spice, nutmeg, ginger, mace, pumpkin pie spice,  sugar    No fat  15 calories from the sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon  No fat
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup rum  Can use brandy instead or omit liquor if you prefer and use 1/4 cup more water. No fat in rum but one ounce has 65 calories, so 2 oz is about right for 1/4 cup  adding 130 calories. 
Set carrots aside and beat  everything else together with mixer until completely smooth.  Add diced carrot bits  at last...and blend or stir well.  Fill 2/3 into paper lined cupcake tins.   Makes 20 cupcakes/muffins.   Sprinkle each on top with a dash of sugar, less than 1/8 teaspoon of sugar for each.  

Bake 350 degrees for 32-38 minutes.  My oven took only 32 minutes, but some take longer.    Test with toothpick in center to ensure done, when toothpick comes out clean  muffins are ready.  Cool a bit and serve...enjoy.

Each muffin has about 33 calories  and 1.5 grams fat.  My daily fat gram allowance is 33.  Jerry is not a pumpkin fan so I had plenty muffins to share  and have frozen others.   I can take out one, thaw and or nuke it in the microwave and good to go.   

1 comment: