Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, November 2, 2012

Sepia Saturday 150 Carl and the Art Institute


To match the Sepia prompt of hurling men, this week, I scanned the photo of artists in the graduating class of February 25, 1950 from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh where my late Uncle Carl attended using his World War II GI benefits. I have shared many previous photos and stories about Carl here and on my blog.   I found his diploma with the group photo below, none of the folks are identified but I spotted him, standing in the back row, which sort of weaves, he is the 5th man from the left, between the man in overcoat with hat and black man with overcoat.  This is quite a large class for this specialty type of study, a nice mixture of women and men, though fewer women for 1950.  The sidewalk in front of them is crackling and the building behind is the multi level facility of the institute. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

1950 February 25  Graduates of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh

AIP  July 2008
The Art Institute founded in 1921, still exists with modern state of the art curriculum. Known as AIP it is the oldest of all The Art Institutes in North America. It occupies nine floors and maintains academic oversight of The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online. It has had a history of producing all types of art and artists (such as watercolorist Frank Webb and the late science fiction illustrator Frank Kelly Freas), but specializing primarily in design disciplines, including graphic design, industrial design, advertising and game art and design. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh is the flagship school of the Art Institute System, and was the original model upon which the others were based. The Art Institutes comprise the largest collegiate art and design education system in the world."  

Carl  would have relished the graphic design capabilities of today with all the  computers facilitating the process.  While he never achieved his dream of full time artistic or illustration work, up until his late 80's he continued to engage in commercial artwork producing precisely lettered signs for politicians or businesses in his area, he was particularly interested in advertising and illustration and drafting, having a very sharp hand and eye for extreme detail. Some of the signs he painted are still in use today in the area.

This is one of his early sketches, her
slippered feet did not scan in this
but I show it here as evidence of
 the precise  attention he paid to detail,
 AIP,  known as the College for Creative Minds, has as its symbol the T-Rex dinosaur, which seems odd to me but perhaps it links antiquity of the ages to art..  "The main campus of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, located in downtown Pittsburgh has grown and relocated six times, expanding each time into larger facilities with a broader curriculum, resulting in one of the largest arts colleges in the United States. In 2000 the school's moved again from its previous facilities on Penn Avenue to the historic landmark building at 420 Boulevard of the Allies, the former Equitable Gas Company building. I find this interesting because Uncle Carl retired from Equitable Gas Company.  The school has some of the most extensive arts-oriented technology facilities of any school in the United States, including over one thousand computers equipping numerous general and specialized computer teaching laboratories. Among the specialized shops and laboratories are a 3D rapid prototyping laboratory, sound, video and digital film editing studios, theatrical makeup, wood, metal and ceramic shops, culinary kitchens, and television studios.  
 I kept many of his sketches, some are from his student days, some were too large to scan completely, most all are pen and ink or charcoal..They are so good that they look like photographs, but they are original works.  I am  still sorting to determine which to frame.  .
Chair by Carl
Dining in Style  by Carl
The man at the table has no face, so this was likely not complete



Lady in Plaid by Carl
Dated 1947 on  the back

This sketch of a family enjoying  the TV is iconic,  the miniature size of the old black and whites when TV's first became an important part of home entertainment.  Today we have massive flat screens. 
This is one of my favorites, a postcard size sketch
Everyone who sees it thinks it is a photograph

TV Watching by Carl


This is my contribution to this week's Sepia,  click on the link to the Sepia Saturday site and enjoy postings from others in the world wide community 
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2012/10/sepia-saturday-150-3-november-2012.html

25 comments:

  1. There is no doubt about it, this was a very talented man!
    In a way you should be glad he has been completely unaware of the graphic design capabilities of today. We may never have seen his very detailed drawings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Uncle Carl was really good -- love the details in his drawings...how can you possibly decide which ones to frame?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I have many more and it is a difficult choice. After he passed on May 2011 and we cleared his home there were so many of these that I could not keep all of them. Some neighbors of his wanted a few and the rest were sold at the estate sale for pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been envious of people who can sketch. Carl's sketches are very good and I see what you mean about thewatch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the watch, it seems a fine candidate to be framed.

    Having your daughter switching the tv for you seems a bit harsh, and the faceless man chatting up the woman could use one of Carl's chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not harsh, very common in the era of 40's and 50"s, kids did as their parents asked...seemed typical to me

      Delete
  6. What treasures! Carl was truly talented! I'm glad you shared these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is the TV watching. It seems like the father stereotype back then usually had a pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was fabulous! We women are just so darn stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous sketches. I wonder if the faceless man is a sort of metaphor for possibility. The single woman filling in the blanks from her imagination. I love, love the watch sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good metaphor, I am going to look at his other sketches and see if he filled in the men's faces, I think so.

      Delete
  10. The watch reminds me of Salvador Dali's work. The picture of the child changing tv channels reminds me of how I HATE when I can't find the channel changer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I at first thought that the school was history but am glad the Institute is still going strong. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your Uncle Carl was quite an artist! My father was an artist too. He could paint and draw. I, unfortunately, didn't take after my dad in his artistic abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for showing us these glimpses of Carl's talent. The pictures definitely seem to be of the era but what treasures to have in the family and how wonderful that some of his signs are still in use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice you kept his work. I'm sure it would make him happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your uncle was a real talent, Pat! It's wonderful that you can pay tribute to him in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your uncle was a very talented man - how wonderful you have these sketches. Thank you for sharing with us. I liked them all particularly the woman in the plaid skirt, don't know why something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carl certainly had a flair for detail.
    Thanx 4 sharing!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember sketches in books back in the fiftees, but your Uncle Carl's are better. The chair is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pat, I have enjoyed previous posts about your Uncle Carl and enjoyed seeing more examples of his artistic talents. The watch is my favorite here again as I remembered seeing it before. Framing some of his works is a wonderful way to keep his memory close at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Finally today I took the watch to be professionally framed and matted at Michaels--I had a 75% off coupon...the young man working there was an art major and is an aspiring artist...he marveled at the work, thought it was a photo and then could not believe it as he examined it closely...he asked me to bring in some of the other prints when he is working because he wants to see them...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pat,
    I just came across this page after searching google for Art Institute of Pittsburgh 1950. I found out that my late mother who passed away when I was in my 20s (nearly 30 years ago) attended the AI in 1950. The lady in your photo in the back row (middle of photo) looks like she could be my mom though because the photo is small, I can't tell very well. By any chance would you be willing to send me a scan of the photo that I could enlarge to see if this is my mom? I found some of her drawings and they have 1950 Art Institute of Pittsburgh but I don't know if she ever graduated. If you didn't mind me getting your e-mail address or telling me how to contact you, I would so much appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to scan it and email to you if you will email your address to me...it is a larger photo...my email is pmorrison44@gmail.com

      Delete