Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wall is done and all's wall

Just a couple buckets and a barrow to take
The great wall of Morrison 2012 is complete
Yesterday was the finale of our 2012 construction with the ruts in the lawn repaired, reseeded,  hay thrown to keep it damp and the wall looks on silently.   We seldom to never use the bottom patio which is off our downstairs TV/rec room, the door you see to the far right in the photo. So I'm thinkin' that maybe next year will  add a big gazebo and a place to sit and enjoy the lower back 40.  I know if I mention this  the more practical side of this household will ask me just when we would sit there since we sit little while we are home and we travel 5 months or so out of the year.  That is more logical and then there are the MN state birds aka mosquitoes which discourage outside sitting, that is why we have that finished 4 season room that you see jutting out from the house above the wall.   

Side of the wall
The crew did a great job, cleaned up after themselves and we are completely satisfied.  It was a good solid week of work for 4 men  and sometimes only 2 for a couple hours.  The entire neighborhood has been coming over to admire the great wall.  I suppose we should host a party there below and let everyone get an eyeful. 

I was surprised that all the river rock which is atop each layer has a whitish cast, but the landscaper assured me that will wash off when the rains come or when the dust settles off.  He said that depending on where they purchase the rock, the shadings are different ranging from this whitish to  reddish to a blue tone.  Oh if he had given me my choice I"d have taken red or maybe blue, just to see the different effect. 
Here they  spread hay over the newly reseeded back
lawn where the bobcat had grooved ruts

This is one project that ran almost exactly as planned once they started, which was a month later than expected.  The other evening I was sitting out back and watching a flock of robins gather in, almost meet and discuss and then trot up and down the  equipment ruts in the lawn.  I have not a clue what mesmerized them but as we watched the flock divided up went all along, both tracks parallel and  one after another side by side, back and forth a couple times,  wished I'd captured that photo.  There is always something amusing to see watching birds.

Scattering hay over new seed at driveway end
  I was very impressed with the clean up the crew did of the driveway  and even the front street.  It reminded me of my Polish grandmother mopping herself out of the kitchen to go to mass on Sunday mornings.  Neighbors commented on how these guys clean up after themselves.  Our next door neighbors are still in upheaval with their move in tasks and mentioned how they envy that our project is done while their entire front lawn is still  a disaster from the digging to hook up to the city water and sewer system.  They have just had their  driveway and sidewalk redone where the concrete had been damaged.  I teased her and said, that we had to have something torn up too so that they did not get all the attention on the cul de sac for construction or destruction.

Shoveling off the dirt and debris from our side
driveway as the crew completed street
cleanup.
Jerry had no complaints about this crew's workmanship which is a big deal.  Usually there is something that does not quite measure up to the way he would do things or not.  This is a local construction company, Beuhler and they have a solid reputation around town.  Yesterday as they were tidying up and loading the last of their debris, I snapped some photos that have Jerry caught in the act of his overseer role.  It almost looks as though he was watching closely with a baseball bat ready to use it if there was something not to his liking.  You can see him posed in the photo below overlooking the end of the project.   The "miniature" lilac bush, Miss Kim took a good whacking out of the  bottom of herself and I will have to get in there soon and  trim her back.  For several years she has needed an adjustment and we never seem to get to her, so this is a good opportunity.  Miss Kim does not know that she is supposed to be a miniature, planted by the previous owners of this place, she thrives and is way overgrown.  She is to the left in the photo below of Jerry at the top of the wall.  

Overseer with big stick

New wall, something to be happy about.  New trellis also below the house.

It's wall over a transformation  Especially when compared
to how it looked just a week ago,  hooray!
This is how it used to be, it had seen better  days. 
  Those solid blocks of Winona stone were all hauled off, which seems a
waste to me who loves to repurpose things, but no one wanted them, least of all us.
And last as  I harvested more apples from the backyard tree, I saw this wonderful bird's nest, sans eggs or occupants.  There is always something going on in or back yard.  Maybe I can catch other critters and see what they think of the new arrangements.   
Birds nest in apple tree. 

5 comments:

  1. The wall looks great and is quite an improvement. River rock can be funny and if you are really lucky it will turn out to be a multi-hued mix. In my opinion that is the most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waal, looks as if all is well with the wall. Quite a project. But, I am wondering about that block in the middle row of the second tier, about 9 or 10 from the corner.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick, I agree, I think after the dust washes off when we get rain it will be the multi colors such as we have off the other side of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GF I know you are happy this is done with....looks great. When is wine night? Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, this new wall does look very nice and especially when comared with the "before" shot. Even if you and Jerry don't plan to be outdoors, it will still be attractive to look at.

    ReplyDelete