Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Monday, October 27, 2008

On the Road and a new way to thumb.

We are on the RV road again working our way toward Tucson, AZ via Denver, CO and NM. Will be in Tucson from 11-4 through 11-14 at an AWON conference. Then on through NM, to Oklahoma City then Branson, MO and places along the way. The weather will determine some of our routes. We are flexible with dates this trip except for the Tucson commitment. Meantime as we have Internet connectivity will update right here. Most of my friends know to hold off emails.

To keep my brain twisting yesterday I bit the bullet and "invested" in a Blackberry. Oh woe is me! I'd retired from the state about two months ahead of mandatory manager tethering to blackberries and avoided that pain.

The two year+ old cell phone was falling apart so action was needed. I have learned that is about their life expectancy. And the granddaughter really laughed at the old phone in July. That probably led to it's demise, being laughed at. But while it was working it was fine with me. When the screen fell out and the number keys refused to work, it was time.

Two weeks ago I'd traded up to another cell phone, a cute little pink Motorola Razr, after being blackberry tempted. I didn't want to fuss with all that extra stuff and above all I didn't want to spend that extra $$. But the cute pink did not get good reception and that was right at home. When Jerry used it and it cut out on him he decided it just would not do! We couldn't take that on the road. So yesterday as the cold north wind blew in MN and the first white flakes shed we spent the day at the Alltel stores and back and forth!

The technician explained that no new phone would work like our old Nokia. I recognize this, a way to part us from our $$. When I asked him could I have my old one back dead keys and all he really laughed. I mean why mess with success. He went on to explain that Nokia had made the very best phones, but now with progress and texting, email on the phone, etc, the only way to go was Blackberry. All I really care about is a working long distance phone! That's my main use for the cell. I never use all my minutes. I don't need to text anybody and I don't need to have email access 24/7. But here we were back to the blackberry with guaranteed best reception. So after agonizing, weeping and groaning with my head down on the techie's desk, I bit on the blackberry. Jerry said, "It's up to you. It's only money." that from him, the original tightwad unless he's buying electronics or big motor homes.

So now I'm the proud owner of Pearl--that's her name. Teeny keys! A keyboard like the computer--BUT--no way can I simply type. One must use thumbs. He assures me I'll get used to this! This is torture for someone who types automatically and does not look at the keyboard. Suddenly I must stare at this keyboard and thumb it! I find myself moving my fingers across an imaginary keyboard in my head and then looking at Pearl's keys. I'd never have though it so difficult to stare at a tiny keyboard. I remember my high school typing teacher calling out "asdf jkl;" I know the keyboard! Where in the blazes did the letters go!

I now begin to understand why spelling and writing have become lost arts. This thing offers words when only two or three letters are entered. No thinking about how to spell the word, just read it and roll the cursor to select it. And thumbing has brought the need to shorten the text. It took me quite some time to update a few addresses. Even more time to go through the tutorial entering small words like, "the brown fox." Frustrating to have your screen flash, "incorrect,try again." Well this will keep me very entertained in the passenger's side.

Pearl's reception is very good. I dismantled my email function on her because just between the two Alltel stores, a distance of 4 blocks, I received 10 emails. When emails arrive, Pearl shimmies. I'll not be using all my minutes on that. Although the techie assures me that I have plenty of minutes, I can be on email for hours so I'll not be blackberry mailing. Well maybe a limited few along the road. That is if I can get used to thumbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment