Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, October 24, 2008

Fall colors and changing weather




This summer when the kids visited everything was green. What's that song ...",,green green green they say on the far side of the hill, green green I'm going away to where the grass is greener still." Who sang it--now I'll have that ear worm till I remember. And that will probably be in the middle of the night.

Here it is end of October and we've been enjoying the sweep of fall color changes before the trees undress for the winter. I really enjoy living here, watching the seasons change. What I've noticed though is this year we didn't get as many magnificent oranges and reds; maybe it just wasn't cold enough earlier in the fall when we were still enjoying 80 degrees. Just two weeks ago it seemed all trees along the river turned mustard yellow overnight. Likely it didn't happen overnight, but that's how I noticed it. Now, seems we've progressed to brighter hues but the leaves will be falling. Two years ago the colors were more vibrant. Our burgundy red maple out back is still keeping her leaves.

But a cold wind blows now, giving me that fall face tingle and tint. This phenomena would be otherwise known as "chapped cheeks" and reminds me promptly to add moisturizer. It doesn't matter if I'm just trotting to the mail box or off to Curves or doing gardening chores. I need to protect my skin. I've noticed some women who have lived here have very tough looking skin from the winds and perhaps the summer suns. I'd like to keep mine soft and as wrinkle free as it is holding. So I moisturize and sunblock when I venture out to trim perennials and rose branches.

Yesterday I was about that business and picked my last rose bouquet for the year. I've posted a photo alongside my blog. It shows the ruffly open flower of Soaring Spirits alongside Love with tight buds of Betty Boop in the background. Soaring spirits is right outsde our closet window and has put on quite the show all year. Had to cut it back as the canes were too tall to fit into it's box for winter. My favorite Betty Boop bush is still blooming but she will have to stop too. Jerry has built styrofoam houses for Betty and her next door neighbor "Soaring Spirits." Both bushes and others in the rose garden are from my favorite hybridizer, Tom Carruth of Weeks Roses.

In 2005, the first year we were fully here for the fall and winter we had roses blooming until November. I had an arrangement on the Thanksgiving table that made me feel like back in CA. There the roses grew year round and had to be forced into dormancy by December and January pruning. Here rose goring's easier. Jerry mulches with many piles of ground leaves which he accumulates daily from our trees shedding onto the lawns. It's a process but his fall chore. I have only to trim the longest rose branches so they do not break when the winter winds blow. Otherwise, MN rose growing is easier than CA. Nothing to do until after the snow melts in the spring. Then it's take off the mulch and trim and prune. CA was year round work. Here we get the winter off!

The vibrant fall colors attract me. I love the tones. There are some magnificent views I cannot get photo shots of--like along I#90 coming from La Crosse to La Crescent. the bluffs are magnificent in gold, green, red, umber, orange, burgundy, mustard and all similar shades. There's no walkway on that interstate bridge and no way to pull over to just shoot photos. This has been a challenge I face every year. So perhaps tomorrow I'll wander down to the Lock and Dam and shoot some of the hills and bluffs from there again. Still it's not the same. But it will have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment