Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, November 30, 2012

Pesky spammers at it again

My messy desktop computer area
We bloggers enjoy our online friends  and often make contacts we otherwise would not have had were it not for our readers and followers.  I removed word verification for current comments at the suggestion of fellow bloggers particularly those on Sepia Saturday but lately I am considering reinstalling that feature because, I am being pestered beyond my tolerance by spammers.  These clowns appear to be  from Turkey, Korea, Russia and God knows where; fortunately because they are focusing on long ago previously published posts on which publication of their solicitous comments requires my approval,  I simply mark them as spam and flush them into the delete land.   They always post anonymously inviting me to  link back,  yeah  that is not gonna' happen. I picture  them hacking away with their laptops or smart phones in some tacky Internet cafe.  There is even a Facebook site, something like Third World Internet Cafe, I saw when I began to think more about this annoyance.  How they happened here I do not know. 

A Google internet site somewhere in ??
Here is an example of  one of the comments from my spam filter today..."Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Favorite Stanley Kunitz Poem The Layers":      Terrific work! That is the type of information that should be shared round the net. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this blish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thank you =)"   Usually they are comically misspelled.  Thankfully I am not craving attention and know to ignore these.  Those who may be drawn in are bound to experience problems with virus' and who knows what else. 

Consequently  I have resorted to setting aside some of my older posts as drafts to retitle and republish  later.  One or two seemed to be favored by spammers promoting or pushing cigarettes.  What a weird world, I detest smoking so it is ironic they would  try to link with me.  I wish that Blogger had the block feature or a blacklist as in email,  but it does not. 

I transferred one former book review written  in 2010 to my other blog, which has avoided  spammers.  Trouble is that book blog is avoiding followers too. Two sides to everything, attract followers  and tolerate spammers?

As with everything, there is some good  coming from this prompting me to get to the clean up work on previous posts.  It is revealing how I have progressed in my  blogging over the years, and in my opinion I have improved with inclusion of photos and labels.  Maturing at the keyboard is a good thing, it means I continue to learn.  I suppose I could  let this blog lie dormant and create another, but really prefer not to do so,  two are more than enough for me. Well besides online clean up I have  some physical tidying tasks awaiting me right here in this corner,  later of course. 

I find less time to sit at the keyboard, because while our weather continues to shine, I must be outside getting my laps around the track.  My chiropractic visit this week confirmed that it is not good to be sitting for long periods, giving thumbs up to  my fidgeting.  The chiropractor said, not good to sit for more than an hour, kind of like a church service, here is where the Catholics have it in spades, they are up and down and kneeling and standing, movement the life force is the way to be. 

 Is anyone else out there experiencing this plague of solicitous spammers and if so what  else to do? 

7 comments:

  1. I too have noticed the past few weeks of junk showing up on my comments area. Some make little sense and others make me mad. I haven't done the word verification set up yet but I may have to as I am tired of spamming them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, you can change who can comment by removing permission for Anonymous comments and activating comment moderation without the word verification. This has worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know what you mean. Most of those spammers have been caught in my spam and I have to go and delete them, but they never before were on my posts. But lately, I've been seeing some of them slip through. You are totally right about not clicking back on to any of their links. I don't like the verification either, but if someone feels they need to use it, I think you should. If someone really doesn't like it, they can decide to not read your post. So you just have to do what fits best for you. Alan mentioned a great deal of spam came in this week to Sepia Saturday- are they working hard for the end of the year? Who knows, we just have to be careful! I really liked this post- and the photo with google over the doorway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I am not alone, the old misery and company adage....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems there are evil creeps every where!!!! I won't open anything I don't recognize and sent to spam and delete. Don't know what else to do. You are far more savey in this area than me!!! Is there a Saint for folks that need a computer protector???? Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy now there's something for me to ask at the Cathedral....email techniques do not apply with blogs

      Delete
  6. Pat, I can understand your frustration at spam comments. We have received a few in the past on our F&P blog, but recently have not had to delete any. We do not participate in any other online postings and I wonder if that does help a bit. I believe we also have our blog set to NOT saccept anonymous comments as Bob suggested in an earlier commnet. Word verification seems too frustrating for many people, including myself so I doubt whether we will ever use it. And, like Sandy commented I never open any emails that have been forwarded even if from friends, and I let all of them know that their emails will be immediately deleted. Too bad, some folks have to spoil the joy of others by their annoying comments.

    ReplyDelete