Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, July 2, 2010

4th of July Sepia Saturday Week 30

It took some rummaging through photos  to find  these 4th of July family celebrations.  Growing up I recall we spent most 4ths on family picnics at the old swimming hole but no one took photos of those events so they exist only in our  memories.  However  way back the family used to take photos whenever they gathered and I found  this collection in my Aunt Virginia's albums.  She passed away last July so it seems  fitting to show her on the  fourth.  She, mom, their sister Francie and all their cousins who were  daughters of their Aunts Mary and Veronica (my grandmother's sisters)  spent most holidays together. My grandmother and her sisters were all daughters of Frank Ostrowski of whom I have shared other sepias.  They took more photos in the summer, good weather, outside as likely they did not have very sophisticated cameras;  I remember seeing some of those old "brownie" cameras and the film that had to be developed, waiting a good week or two for photo results, but I digress.

We start out with  July 4th 1942 taken at Aunt Mary  Janosky's home  where  the families gathered.  Here on the porch are Stella Janosky, Josephine Roginsky, my Mom-Helen Konesky who was not yet married to my father though they were dating, my Aunt Virginia Konesky with her back to them returning to the kitchen and  Helen Janosky leaning over the rail.  What I find amusing is that they are all dressed, with aprons  covering their clothes and even wearing  high heels.  It must have been a dress up gathering!  Mom appears to have some one's military hat on and Stella appears to have just removed it from her head and is fixing her hair.  Likely Joe Janosky, one of aunt Mary's son's (cousin  & brother to the girls)  was home on leave  because my aunt  wrote on the back, "Helen with Joe's hat." Maybe they dressed up because one of their own was home over the 4th and they honored him.


Now it's 1943 and  four of the girl cousins have traveled to Lake Erie, PA where it might have been cool because they are wearing coats and jackets, but at last I have a 4th of July photo with flags prominent.   This was titled "near the lake on the  fourth" the cousins are Aunt Mary's girls-- Helen, Stella and Jean Janosky and my Aunt Virginia Konesky.   I have no idea what they were doing nor how they got away and it must have been quite the adventure to travel this 100 miles from home to celebrate.    They are still dressed up heels and all.


But now it's 1944 and this is my favorite 4th  photo because these gals mean business! I find it striking because here again the girl cousins of the Ostrowski clan are together again, all the men are off to war. The girls are hanging tough!  I also have always found this photo sad,  because  as you can notice some one's leg sticking out the back on the right, that was my Mom, pregnant with me having just lost her husband June 20th.  I guess she did not want to celebrate climbing the flag pole with the girls, at least that's what I surmise.  My aunt said they  surrounded her anyway and dragged her along to all the family events.  It was a good support system for a young widow. I wish she had at least  gotten in the front for the photo shoot to see me in progress but  back in that day it didn't happen.  Mom appears to still be dressed up but notice than now all the  cousins are wearing trousers and all appear to be the same pattern.  By this time most of them were working in the plate glass factory, doing their Rosie the Riveter like jobs.  At the bottom of the flag pole, Jean Janosky, then  Loretta Roginski (hand in the air), my Aunt Francie Konesky who would leave after this and join the army herself, and  Helen Roginsky with my Mom, Helen behind her, now up the  pole from the bottom,  Helen Janosky, my aunt Virginia again, and Stella Janosky on top.  Note that within the family  all three sisters had a daughter named Helen, I don't know how they kept things straight.  My grandmother said she named Mom after her stepmother, Helen, who was Frank O's 3rd wife and I do not know if Aunt Mary and Vernie did the same with their daughters.  The name Helen goes back to Poland in our genealogy.


I am now part of the Sepia's as in November I had arrived on this planet and here in July 4 1945 I'm in  my Kewpie  doll baby pose ready to become the subject of many photos.  This 4th finds me with my Uncle Carl who is about ready to ship  out to Europe and  got to come home for a day on his way to Europe.  You recall my uncle Carl for a couple weeks of Sepias.  He was USArmy  809th Tank Destroyers, a sniper and  such a good shot that he became an instructor but he was now to go to the front himself. The skills with the gun likely came from growing up hunting with his father. 




July 4th 1948 and in this photo I am ready for the festivities, squinting into the sunshine as has been mentioned before,  hair combed up  and back and bows holding it.  In other photos my hair is all over my head and I'm not so neat and clean.  My grandmother Rose stands behind me in the door way.

Happy 4th everyone, those are the only Sepia 4th photos I could find.

As always to read other great posts by this international community click on the title above to get to the Sepia mainpage..

8 comments:

  1. Lovely Photos.
    Hey! Have A Fine 4th July.
    Regards
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to see WWII photographs and read about the people in them. Life must have been hard for your mother as a young widow. What a cute baby you were -- well, really, adorable! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos so evocative of the time. I can easily imagine my folks in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truly wonderful collection around a theme. The images and the words fit so well together and provide a great read. Thanks for taking the trouble to share this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely no trouble at all Alan. If not for these Sepia Saturdays, I am sure that these photos would still be sitting in the envelopes and suitcases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely collection of photos..these woman were all so strong and supportive of each other..I guess they had to be..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is too wierd for me, there were a few other comments here which have vanished! That's a new one on me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were the sweetest little girl and your Uncle was very handsome. Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete