Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, January 20, 2012

Dolls for Sepia Saturday 109


About 1947 me with doll

Our prompt this week is Dolls which should be easy for me because I was the oh so very typical little girl with dolls, dolls, dolls.  Being from the sheltered good old days, times of  years ago, in a small town in Pennsylvania, I enjoyed my dolls a long time, and had them across my bed into my teen years.  But I have few photos of me with my dolls, as you can see I was not a very careful mama here....


I took a doll or two with me everywhere I went which was not that far in that town,  mostly down the hill to my grandparents. I had another stash of dolls at their house as well as dolls at home....someone (likely my aunt Jinx who was a working bachelorette for many years, living with her parents)  decided that it would be easier for all concerned that I keep dolls at their house where I spent most of my time anyway.  This decision came likely after I was walking in the rain with my grandma and dropped one of my dolls, soaking  her and generating my tears and fussing.  Shortly after that, my Granpap fashioned a miniature umbrella for my dollies, wonder what ever became of that.  My dolls had an extensive wardrobe made by my grandmother and aunt and even myself, who learned to sew early and had my own miniature sewing machine, something else I wish I had today.

About 1949 me and my talking doll, Marcella
I  still have this doll today

These next photos show me at my grandparents' with dolls; I am guessing the years because they were not marked on the photos..

About 1950 with  2 dolls, the one on the
left survived from a few years



Prize bride doll today
original dres, shoes and a
green plastic  trim I  glued on her veil  to the consternation of
my aunt.




Still today I have two of my most cherished dolls, Marcella, a  talking doll who still utters a few words, "pick me up"  and my  prize bride doll acquired from a tantrum I demonstrated in the  former GCMurphy Five and Ten Store while shopping  with my aunt Jinx when  I was about 9 years old.. I spotted this bride doll and had to have her; while my aunt tried to reason with me to wait until my birthday, I was not to be dissuaded and she could not bear my pout or worse so she bought her on the spot.  The first time my aunt Jinx met Jerry, husband, she told  that story of when she was forced to buy me that bride doll as an example of how far back (and thereby well ingrained) my stubbornness and determination could be, this was to warn him about my traits, and that I would pull out all stops to get my way as I was used to having it....but it was too late, he'd already experienced the same by then.  She talked about the bride doll until she died in 2009, so you know it was really a master tantrum and an example of how I could get my way as a child.  Such a shock to grow up and learn life doesn't work always the way we want, expect, demand...


Marcella today, talking doll..Like the bride doll all original dress & shoes

While scanning other photos I  found these of my cousin Paula Jean with her father and her own big dolly, across the country in California in about 1952. 

About 1952 Paul and Paula Jean
I don't ever recall having a doll bigger than me, but her mother, my aunt had written across the back, "I won this at the Carnival for her, it's bigger than her but she drags it all around."     Our family genes have determination embedded, here follows Paula with Big Dolly, "stay there," she seems to demand.  She will get a laugh when she sees these two photos, especially with the "babushka" on her head, no match for the Big Dolly's big hat!


Paula Jean positioning her Big Dolly
Clck here to go to the Sepia Site to see what else is shared this week.  

  http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2012/01/sepia-saturday-109-21st-january-2012.html

19 comments:

  1. Oh this is just all too cute! Especially your first photo with your baby doll, your expression and how you lean into the picture it so reminds me of my little 2 year grandbaby..who just adores her dolls! We even spend (far too many hours) in the local Creative Kids store where she spends all her time checking out all the latest in dolls fashions and equipment! Her room can't hold all the stuff she'd drag home if she could! Oh what fun we girls can have playing house right! This is an awesome doll post and I bet the boys are just having fun tee hee!....I have to get cracking on my own post....if this side of the ocean (from Alan)is posting already I better get to it! Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised your aunt gave in to your tantrum. At least you still treasure that bride doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would still be waiting for that bride doll if I had had a tantrum about it. I used to have a little sewing machine too. it wasn't too bad though, for sewing doll clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolls weren't available in the war - I'm still making up for it now! LOL You had an amazing selection, luck girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much fun to read and brings back all kinds of memories for most of us. I'm impressed how both the pictures and the dolls survived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol's mom had a nice collection of dolls; mostly, I'd say, collector types not kid toy types of dolls I was going to put her and her dolls on video so she could comment on the dolls, explaining the source and other information. She died before we got into the dolls. Strange, but none of the daughters or grand daughters seemed interested in them except for one or two as memorial to Verna. Carol and her sisters made an effort to catalogue them, talked about contacting a dealer etc. Not an item of interest to me, so I really don't know the disposition of them. They might still be in the house, for all I know. Carol or Sandy might be able to fill in the gaps.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin, My tantrum only worked with my aunt or Grandmother; Mom would have had no qualms about swatting my behind and I knew better at an early age than to try with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These stories and the photos are wonderful Pat. You’ve reminded me that I too had a little sewing machine, which must have been what set me on the road to being a sew and sew! Weren’t we lucky to have family who made clothes for our dolls too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcella and the bride doll have stood the test of time. Sewing - now there's a task I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!!!! That Doll Was Massive!You Must Have Had Some Muscles Carting it About!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat, this is such a delightful post! I loved reading it and seeing your photos so much. It seems as if you were a well loved little girl.

    Take care,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well loved dolls indeed! I bet she loved making you so happy by giving you the doll. She knew you would treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fantastic photos. personally, I'm glad you threw that tantrum because I think you deserved that doll. You have taken such fabulous care of them over the years. They still look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some really stunning photographs there, that first one, in particular. A fascinating post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the first photo of you with your doll - you're so cute. I'm glad no one reminds me of my "master tantrums" - but at least you got the bride doll! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pat, this post reminded me of dolls I had, a couple are now in mt attic. One is a Revlon doll that I can never recall playing with. I think it was the Barbie of its time, but I never had any outfits for it, other than the red velvet dress it came with. And, I also had a bride doll, though different than the one shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As others have said, that first shot is a prize. Just wonderful. And all the dolls look so grand. The last one in color looks like my long gone Rosie. And you've pointed something out to me which is that considering how I've collected dolls all my life I can only think of two photos of me with any of them. I don't even have a shot of Rosie and for me, as an only child, she was my little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not big on dolls,
    but you and Marcella, looking good there.
    Too sweet!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete