Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fiddling with my blog layout and links

After visitng so many other "better presented" blogs thourgh Magpies and Sepia I am inspired to improving my own blog. Well I am always looking for improvement, which  wearies even me at times.  My blog layout is ok, but I would like to enable  links to other blogs to which  I may refer  in my writings and also enable a faster movement to other writings on  my blog.  This is presenting a challenge and stretching my techno ability.  Well I find I am having to stretch my mind back to old ago  times of computer language to write the bloggger language to  get some of these features in place. Being a fidgety person, I have not yet found the time to dedicate myself to this. 

One thing I want to do is make it easier for the reader to look back through  my blog about something.  For example, you know I read avidly and  have a list of my books on the sidebar.  But I would like to enable the reader to click on that title and  get right to my review.  As it is now, the date of the posting is included in my list and the reader has to browse through my Archive tab or older posts.  Faster to look through the archive for the date and title, but takes a bit of a key stroke. 

I noticed  "Blogging for Dummies" and "Blogger on Google" or something similar in the internet section of  books in Barnes and Noble the other day.  You know them, those black and yellow striped paperback books, which  now are released on every subject one can dream up.  Actually I have recommended the  Dummies book on growing roses to many aspiring gardeners;  it is basic and everyone can understand it.  I have recommended the Ebay for Dummies for those who need such things.  But the blogger Dummies book looked way too basic; I am already past setting up this blog and did so following the  Blog spot prompts.  I can figure out most applications, drivers and software additions by following along, but the linkage business has me stumped.   A learning opportunity yet again in cyber form.  Some of the linkage language is written by a techie and has stymied me to the point of printing it out to digest it.  Still no aha moment has prevailed.  But I don't give up easily when I am on a mission.

Some blogs have inspired me to do better with more photos on my own.  Some blogs, particularly those with black backgound left me quite contented with my own.  For my eyes the black and dark backgrounds with subdued letters are difficutl to read.  It reminds me of so many movies and television shows which are being made in darkness these days. Being a fan of "let there be light" I do not like that darkness.   Some blogs are just too busy and make it hard for me to focus on what I want to  read.  And some blogs are just right, like Goldilocks in the baby bear's seat!  Willow's , Nancy's Life in the 2nd half, Vickie Lane's and Laurie's Back Porch Musings come to mind immediately as attractive to me.  Now see, if I had the  linkage enabled you could click right there and see what I mean.  But I don't so you will have to browse if you are interested..   

On this blog, when a reader has issue with the print being too small all the reader has to do is click on the small  % indicator in the lower  right hand corner of their monitor, and the size of the print can be changed to accomodate their choice.   But these other challenging improvements will keep me otherwise entertained. 

I am also annoyed with the lack of spell check while composing here.  I try to remember to compose in Word then cut and paste to the blog.  But today I am not doing that and will have to carefully reread this for typos which creep in too easily, especially when I am clicking on my laptop like now. I don't know why Blogger removed the spell check on composing but they did.         

Well I have spouted enough about my intentions.  Time to get out the door to work off the frustration at Curves; past time already!

3 comments:

  1. Your are getting into the spring fever cleaning with your blog. Sometimes you just have to go back and straighten things out. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L D well, I have been doing heavy spring cleaning inside the house too; done with TV/rec. room but still have the library study, so this fits...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment. I'm not sure I'm clear about what all you are trying to do on your blog, but if you are using "Blogger" to post, you can go to the blog you want to link to. Right click on the title of the blog up at the very top of your screen (where it usually has a "B" with a red background. In the list that pops up, left click "copy". Then go back to your post you are working on. Left click and drag your mouse over the name of the blog you want to link. At the top of your post you are working on is something that looks to me like a little frog with big eyes (I don't know how else to describe it). After highlighting the blog name, click on that "frog". A box will pop up. On the second line of the box, there is a blank with "http://. Delete that; right click, and in the box that pops up, click on "paste". Click "ok", and your link should work. It sounds like a lot of trouble, but once you've done it a time or two, there's nothing to it. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about it. I'm enjoying looking at all of the scenic photographs on your sidebar. laurie

    ReplyDelete