Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sepia Saturday 13 for February 27, 2010

Frank ( Francis) Ostrowski 1855 appx--1915 
Frank Ostrowski is my maternal great grandfather who was a coal  and sometimes iron ore miner in Poland and in the United States. I grew up knowing the family was full Polish on all sides, but some ancestral research indicates German, Prussia, etc. My study of the history of Poland reveals how often it was invaded conquered and became part of another country. My grandmother and her sisters spoke Polish as did my mother and aunt; it was especially annoying as a child because I could not understand what they were saying. I know that was the reason they spoke it around me! I discovered Frank in 1977 when my great aunt Fran gave me the photo of the Ostrowski (aka Ostroskie) gathering which I posted last week on Sepia Saturday. I spent most of my childhood growing up with my grandmother, Rose, Frank’s daughter from his second wife. How I wish I had known about him back then and could have asked my Baba (Polish) about her father. She talked very little about her family but said that her father died of stomach cancer and that there were several others in the family who had it too. She feared that and sadly she died of pancreatic cancer; perhaps that was Frank’s diagnosis too.

After Aunt Fran gave me the gathering photo she found this snapshot of Frank in his miner’s hat which I had copied and enlarged into a 5 x 7 Sepia print. It has always been prominently displayed in our home and is a good conversation piece. My grandmother’s hand writing is on the back so at one time she had the photo but there is no date. I adore the old coal miner hat. Those were the most dangerous days of the mines and many Europeans flocked to the states to do the dangerous dirty work. My mother and aunts were of no help in verifying dates, saying that they never knew any grandparents but lots of aunts and uncles. Notice the clean shirt and the pick axe over his shoulder, arm crossed and holding hands with someone.  Someone really had to work at keeping that shirt clean and without today's automatic  washers and dryers. 

Frank married three times and outlived two wives. By his photo he does not appear to be that handsome, but I suppose a coal miner in America was a good catch for the times. If the historical fiction “A Coal Miner’s Bride “by Susan Campbell Bartoletti has any truth, the old miners wanted a woman to care for them. Frank fathered many children so that would also account for his need to remarry when one wife passed on. I notice he has one eyelid that droops and my grandmother had the same affliction.

I have two different years for his birth 1855 and 1857 and have been unable to confirm which is correct. However, the date of November 11 is certain. This would make him and me fellow Scorpios. Perhaps on our next trip to PA I can visit the Union cemetery in Arnold where he is buried and that may clarify date of his death. I should hope it will not add yet another date.

Frank was born in Prussia or Germany to Franz Ostrowski and Catherine Biegonski. I surmise that his parents likely immigrated to America with the children, but there are no records of when and where they arrived. His sisters were Kate, Mary and Pauline who is recorded to have been born in Cleveland, and a brother Maryn John who died in 1869 in Poland and may not have migrated with the family.

Information shows his father was buried in Detroit, MI in 1893. His mother is buried in Cleveland, OH and died in 1910. That date makes me wonder if the mystery Ostrowski photo taken in Ohio which I dated at about 1910 could have been for Frank’s mother’s funeral; perhaps confirming some of what my mother alluded to of a funeral in Ohio. The research is flawed but I am nevertheless grateful to my 2nd cousin who attempted to piece all this together with infrequent trips to PA. Maxine lives in Utah today is in poor health and as a member of the LDS church had access to many records. Still, I know there are some errors in the lineage and names and am skeptical of some of the information; dates show as appx. Maxine spent some time interviewing my grandmother in the 1960’s. But I know that my grandmother could be evasive; many of the Polish relatives had this same trait. Whether they were untruthful to avoid attention I cannot determine. I know that they feared and respected government authority and as immigrants escaping tyrants or worse in Poland, they kept quiet about many things. Someone usually knew someone back in “the old country” though and kept in touch, frequently sending some  cash along to help out.

Frank married his first wife Frances appx. 1877. Her last name is incorrectly recorded as my grandfather’s last name on the documents and I know that is wrong. She was born in Poland and died appx 1888 in PA. They had three children Joseph (born 1878 with a twin John who did not survive the birth), John (the second son to be so named born appx. 1882), and Benjamin Frank who was distinctly given the middle name (born 1883 appx.) Years ago when we lived in CA a previously unknown to me cousin, Sharon, granddaughter of Benjamin contacted me. When I asked my mother and aunt about this, they shrugged their shoulders. While they knew nothing about a grandfather they recalled their aunts and uncles and made no distinction of their being half brothers and sisters.

Frank’s second wife and my grandmother’s mother was Frances Swartz (aka Schwartz) whom he married about 1889. Frances came from Poland, was born in 1869, died in 1902 in PA. Sometime during this marriage they dropped the “w” from Ostrowski. They had five children although I recall my grandmother mentioning that some of her brothers died when very young; there is no record of others. These were Walter  (born 1889 in Detroit, MI who went by Bill and changed the family name to Austin), Mary (born 1891 in Salamanca New York), Veronica Bernice (born 1892 in PA), and Rose (my grandmother born 1894) and Adam Maryan who died at birth in 1895 or shortly thereafter. My grandmother said he was her mother’s last child and did not live. I spent so much time with my grandparents I never called any of her sisters or brothers Great, they were aunt and uncle to me just like to my mother. Growing up I called them the Polish word for aunt, “czotczhe” (sp?). We spent many Sunday's across the river at Aunt Mary's.  My grandmother was close to her sisters.  Observing the different places the Ostrowski's moved before settling in PA, it appears Frank was following the mines. It was the heyday of coal mining in PA and that  must have offered him steady employment.

Frank married his third wife, Helen Sajowksi (aka Sekoski) in 1905. Their only child was Frances born in 1906. She was always known as the baby sister without distinction as to half sister. Helen is seated next to Frank in the Ostrowski Ohio gathering photo along with many of his children from his other wives. Helen would survive Frank who died April 19, 1915 making him either 60 or 62 depending on which birth year is correct.   Whether Frank fathered more than nine children is unknown but each wife seemed to give birth annually. How they traveled around from Michigan, to Ohio, to New York and to Pennsylvania is a mystery; I suspect it was by rail car. They certainly did not have vehicles to drive. His descendants are all over the eastern United States, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and on to Michigan and Ohio into Newfoundland, Canada and some in California. All my years in CA I never knew of any Ostroski relatives there. When I see the Ostrowski (Ostroski) name today I wonder if that is a shirttail relation. Writing this piece I googled and found many; one example is Frank, a "falseley accused murderer in Canada" released on bail to his daughter. 

Finally here is the third photo of Frank with his son, John. I found this in a drawer after my mother died in 2004. The back has the names and says coalfield, but no date. My grandmother told that she learned to cook as a very young girl because her father was skinny but could eat like a horse and said that her daughter, my aunt, Virginia took after him. Not all Frank’s progeny were as lean as this photo where Frank is poking John’s belly! John who was born in 1882 must be at least  20 years old here which would date this to 1902. Imagine what was being said here, but there he is my great grandfather, Frank Ostrowski.

Click  on the title Sepia Saturday to go the Sepia website and visit other posts from shared stories.

15 comments:

  1. Nice article and photos. Re the lean body of your great grandfather, I would imagine that working in coal mines would keep most anybody lean; especially in the days before automated mechanical equipment. His clothing was interesting. I particularly noticed the leggings, stockings, or whatever he was wearing on the calves of his legs. Appeared to be designed to keep coal dust and dirt out of his pants legs. Our inmate forestry crews always "bloused" their pant legs for that reason. Some of your articles and photos could be duplicated for the Polish museum that we almost visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, Frank had a hard life. He looks as though he had a sense of humour though.

    My grandfather's weight never varied more than a pound on or off during his lifetime. I think it was partly genetic and partly down to the physical work he did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the humor of the last photo -- but they are all treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating photos and stories. I love the pickaxe photo, the miner's hat, and it is remarkable, the whiteness of the shirt. I can't imagine the life he led, how hard he worked in the mines.
    I'm bitten by the geaneology bug too, it seems no matter how much I learn, I'm always left wanting to know so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that last photo is quite funny! Too bad we don't know what they are saying! Very interesting post you have here...love all the tidbits and information that you have. I too am impressed by that clean shirt on a coalminer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many of the immigrants worked the tougher jobs, jobs the American -born often felt they themselves were "too good" for. Besides, so what if they did dangerous work> Someone had to do it, and since they were really "foreigners," they were expendable, right? Reminds me of the Woody Guthrie song, "Deportees."

    I wish I could say times have changed since then, but only on the surface, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very interesting. My husband just asked if that was the Eiffel tower on his hat. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eiffel tower :) that was funny..do you think they got the design for it from the miner hats, old gas lamps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, now that is funny, because I just told my son it looks like the Eiffel tower on his hat! Fabulous pic! I love how he's holding his mining pick, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wondering if they all immigrated through Ellis Island....quite possible. Coal-mining's still a harsh job but Frank here hailed from sturdy stock...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've really pieced together a difficult family history. Having different name spellings has got to be very trying.

    That miner's hat is wild - never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought like Silver Fox as I wrote this--immigrants have always had the rough life; they still do so today. A bit different with the Eastern Europeans though was, they were welcomed by no Welfare system, they had to support themselves and they struggled to assimilate. I have stories of my grandfather learning to speak, read & write English to beome a citizen; I will share that when I post about Teofil.

    Years ago when I worked I had a framed poster in my office--it showed a railcar full of young coal miners, appx. 1930's--1940's the caption, "Who cares they don't even speak English!" That was the way of life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that really what the miner's hats looked like? Keen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pat, I don't know very much about Poland but I have always been under the impression that times were very hard. Your grandfather looks to have been a proud man though and was obviously a winner with the ladies. I found your post extremely interesting and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way your post just seems to sum up all the joys, all the challenges, and all the mysteries of trying to pin down the history of any particular family. But challenges and mysteries apart, what emerges is a fascinating story - a story which deserves telling and recording forever.

    ReplyDelete