Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, February 19, 2010

Sepia Saturday February 20

Ostrowski (aka Ostroski) my maternal grandmother’s family appx. 1910 Mystery gathering




Preparing this for Sepia Saturday reminded me how difficult my genealogical research has been. I must get some of this organized to share with whoever from the next generation might be interested. I have been asked to send what I have to the Mroz adult children of my cousin Roland who died in Madison in October. My Polish history becomes complicated due to the various spellings of the names. This happened all too commonly with the immigrants. It was Ostrowski, also spelled as Ostroski, Ostroskie, depending on who singed and wrote their name. In addition many changed their names to a more accepted Americanized version as my uncle did by changing Kochanowski to Konesky; some even changed their first names to something very different, for example, Walter became known as Bill. I suppose part of this was by reason of wanting to be accepted, to fit in.  Yet life was extrememly segregated by ethnic heritage.  Another curious name game in my family is the repetitive use of the same name within families. This happened with Helen, Frank and Francis, Frances, and John. It must have been comical at a family event when they called for John and three boys responded!


In about 1977, before she died, my Great Aunt Frances, my (maternal) grandmother’s baby sister gave me this photo. She is seated on the ground, in this photo, between the two boys, second person from the left with a big bow or flower in her hair. I knew that she was the youngest of my grandma’s family of sisters and brothers. But until she began to talk about the photo, I did not know that her father, my great grandfather, Frank Ostrowski had three wives two of whom he outlived. She knew nothing about where it was taken or why. But this photo is the only such of a gathering of the Ostrowski clan to my knowledge.



Great Aunt Frances was born in 1906, which makes me guess that her age is about four in the photo which then dates this to about 1910. She married a Mroz. I tried for years to identify all the relatives. Neither my mother nor my aunts were able to identify all the people or why the photo was taken. I know which ones are my grandmother and her sisters and brothers, all standing in the back, young folks, some forcing a straight face. My grandmother’s sister, Mary has such a twinkle in her eye that it appears hard for her to look grim. I always remember this about Great Aunt Mary; she was a happy soul, full of laughter. Actually most of my grandmother’s relatives were jovial people, who enjoyed what little they had and certainly reveled in each other’s company.



My mother speculated this photo was taken in Ohio at a funeral that was a family scandal, something no one talked about. I don’t know how she knew that if she knew little else. It was the end of the conversation in her kitchen in PA during one of my visits home, as she walked away leaving me to my thoughts and to accept her explanation. My mother died of Alzheimer’s in 2004 and I believe that she had early symptoms which we did not recognize. So who knows if her comment was from dementia or truth? I accepted that as closed conversation. That was a prevalent way to deal with questions in my family, no one talked about anything. If they didn’t speak it or repeat it, it didn’t happen. I don’t know if all immigrant families had this same way of dealing with life, but my Polish family kept things to themselves. There is a Polish proverb about not speaking of misfortune so that the devil does not gain an open door to enter and bring in more trouble. I suspect the immigrants were cautious of discussions and suspicious as most of them had fled Poland to escape oppression. I am different and want to know and tell our stories. Too bad that as a child I didn’t pay more attention. I wonder what might have been the scandal worthy of stoic silence in this mystery photo. By the time I received this photo, my grandmother and all her sisters and brothers were long gone so there is no one to ask.



Great Grandfather Frank Ostrowski is seated in the middle row, third from the left. His third wife who is Great Aunt Fran’s mother, Helen Sekoski (aka Sajikowski) is 2nd from the left next to him. Frank (aka Franz) Francis Ostrowski is a story unto himself what I have learned about him in research. He immigrated from Poland and made his living as a coal miner in PA.



Here are the folks I know for sure:

Seated on the ground on what appears to be carpet, the front row: 2nd from left between 2 unidentified boys, Great Aunt Fran Ostrowski Mroz; after the 2nd boy, in a plaid dress with her hair parted in the middle is Annie Ostrowski Kaluzney and Gorleski, my grandmother’s cousin, unknown child next to her. Notice that none of these kids look very happy!



Second row from the left: Unknown woman, next to her, 2nd woman is Helen Sekoski, then Great Grandfather Frank, unknown couple, the people in the rest of the row are unidentified but I suspect Annie’s mother may be seated right behind her.



Third (Back) row from the left: (most are my grandmother Rose’s sisters, brothers, full or half siblings; progeny of Franks first two wives)  I have included the married names of the women.



Joseph John Ostrowski (surviving Twin whose brother died shortly after birth), unknown woman, we speculate that might be Katherine Buhl whom Joseph married; she resembles the woman at the end left in the second row, John Martin Ostrowski; Bill (nee Walter F) Ostrowski who changed his last name to Austin, unknown man, Mary Ostrowski Janosky, unknown man with his arm through my grandmother’s arm, My grandmother Rose Ostrowski Kochanowski, unknown man, Veronica (aka Vernie) Ostrowski Roginski, Ben (nee Bernard John) Ostrowski, Ben’s wife-Anna Boguzinska Ostrowski and their first born Walter (Louie).



There you have it the Mystery gathering. In 2002, my research led a previously unknown cousin to me. That was interesting as we pieced together different pieces of the puzzle of the Ostrowski clan. Today I have not heard from Sharon in months as she has not returned emails or answered her phone when we are in PA. Not sure what is going on with her. I have genealogy which traces Frank Ostrowski’s line to Poland in the 1300’s supplied by another 2nd cousin, Maxine, in Utah. Complicated strings of Polish links.

& here is link to the Sepia Sat site, I hope, if you would like to see others tales and  photos
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2010/02/sepia-saturday-week-12.html   


15 comments:

  1. Oooh. I love a mystery. I'm trying to solve some of my own.

    I've got families of Smiths marrying Smiths and the recurrence of the names William, Walter and Elizabeth.

    Maddening but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. My husband has a colleague in Ottawa, Canada named Ostrowski

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family pnoto! Many times you can deduct from the date why the family might be having a photo made. Maybe a wedding anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a (potentially) fascinating story about the funeral. It's interesting how tightly secrets were held back then and how they are blared over the internet and cellular clouds these days. If we could just meet halfway in the middle of don't tell and tell it all...
    I too am researching my Polish ancestry, and the optional name spellings are quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to have so much information on your Polish forebears. I tried researching my boys' Lithuanian heritage, but couldn't get back beyond their great-grandparents, the American immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a mystery!

    In our family, the first born sons down the generations were all known as Alexander. It sure gets confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating story. And I thought I was having a hard time trying to trace details of my ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous photo, and such interesting research. A great addition to Sepia Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one fantastic photo! I can't help but smile at the bow on the head of the little girl in the front (Great Aunt Fran, is it?)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay ... I'm curious. Why are the two gentlemen in the upper left shaking hands??

    I can completely relate to you saying you wish you'd paid more attention as a kid. I kick myself all the time, wishing I'd asked questions or seemed even the least bit interested when family stories were told. Now my sister and I try to piece things together from memory and from what we can confirm with cousins. Frustrating, isn't it?

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patty F I think perhaps the two men in the upper left who are holding or shaking hands are just being friendly brothers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photo! Some of the text weirded out so I missed a lot of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat,
    Thanks for sharing this ancestrial picture. I enlarged it and I found beautiful faces. And the house in the background is fashioned with good design and shutters. Hope you will have a good week this week! :) The Bach

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even imagine the hours and hours that have gone into this!!! You need to see it into a proper archive.
    I believe the switching (shortening,etc) of names was very common with the immigrants. I'm sure it eased recording various records such as time cards, property receipts, etc. The "adjusting" of first names makes me think of all of our commonly known "nicknames."

    What a grand job!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pat,
    Thanks so much for posting that wonderful Ostrowski family photo. Have been searching for Frank Francis today, having finally Googled him,ended up here. Was absolutely thrilled Frank/Franz is my Great Grandmothers brother. I never knew what any of the family looked like.Would love to learn what you know! Please e-mail me at pamela.lemon09@gmail.com.

    Would love to share!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete