Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, December 5, 2014

Sepia Saturday December 6 Horse rides

This weeks theme evoked many possibilities, but truth be told, where ever else can I share a photo of my first horse rides and where else would people would look at the photos?

So here I am with my first horsey rides; my grandpap, Teofil was not a woodworker but somehow somewhere with help from his friends he made this rocking horse for me.  It doesn't look like much  today but it was really all I needed to keep myself entertained and then some.   My Uncle Carl who was the artist of the family painted it.  

In this first photo I am on my premier ride, the year is early 1946, flowers  in bloom  to the side in this very Sepia small  print that  my grandparents and later my aunt kept framed over the years, though much is faded on it. They said I had just begun walking all about and this was my next challenge.  They said I had a grand time but they had to put the horse away into a corral else I would climb on it when someone wasn't around and they did not want me to hurt myself.    I was about 16-17 months old in this first photo.  It must have been a cool spring day because I was dressed in bonnet and coat. 

Funny thing is I remember having this wooden rocking horse, I wonder what  ever became of it?    It was quite rudimentary but no one could have convinced me of that.  
Me about 2 1/2 years old...1947, same horse
This  girl loved the ride  There were no
fancy get ups yet, no hats, no chaps.

1947 same as above, better view of the horse
Happy to have Sepia for my  own Sepian memories.  To see what others  have taken to theme from this weeks's prompt, go here to the primary site.  
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/12/sepia-saturday-257-6-december-2014.html

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful rocking horse hand made for you. I loved cowboys and horses from an early age too and had a Hopalong Cassidy outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely rocking horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can see from the side on view why you thought that rocking horse was so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even without a fringed skirt and holster, you made a sweet cowgirl. Ride 'em! Such a sweet memory of how much you loved your rocking horse

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horse doesn't look like much from the front, but the side view is great. The painted features give it a real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great horse! My father built one for me out of a nail keg...I even named it! Did you name this one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Postcardy said, once you see the side of the horse it really is a nice horsie & if it rocked well, no wonder you were so fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice rocking horse. My sister and I had to be content with saw horses with closeline and pillow saddles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gift made with love and still giving pleasure all these years later through your happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only been on horseback once and then not for very long before I bit the dust. I'm sure I could have managed a rocking horse like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You looked like you were holding on for dear life in the first photo, but by the second you were a true cowgirl! How wonderful to have the memories of this gift!

    ReplyDelete

  12. sometimes I wish Blogger had a simple"thanks" "like" or thumbs up such as Facebook. Bu to answer, yes I name it "horsey" because in my babbling stage that's what I remember them callin it, sounded good to me. Sure was a great ride as I grew into it. Many years later in CA those reak life horses were tough to mount and way high up there to me... Thanks all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandmother would have "pinched" your cheeks as she said how cute you were. Oh, but those Sepia photos are treasures! Kinda envy your ability to ride. Love horses from afar but not to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was always deeply envious of anyone with a rocking horse and yours looks like a mighty fine steed. Charming photos.

    ReplyDelete