Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Monday, August 24, 2009

Tall weeds and collections




Yesterday was about as good a day as it gets, weather wise and relaxation style. I sprayed my long neglected roses with some fungicide to ward off the black spot attacks that are sure to increase now with our delightful, fall like, cool weather. I also pulled many more tall weeds out of the garden though there are more yet to go. I posted on Facebook how tall the weeds are and if anyone doubts me, check out the photo. They are taller than me. I'm only 5'3" but still, how do weeds materialize from nowhere and thrive in 3 weeks while cultivated plants cannot? We miss our fresh veggies out of the garden this year but are making do with trips to the local farmers markets. I am only pulling weeds with full tennies on in the garden now. Why? Because on Saturday as I was shucking fresh corn for dinner near the garden I witnessed a big grass snake chasing a smallish fat brown rodent, like the critter that invaded our garage. Aagh! I do not like snakes of any kind. I was thankful to be outside the garden fence as this 2 1/2 foot black and white striped snake slithered more like raced s-like after the creature. Just thinking that I could have been in there in the midst of the chase in my sandals made me shiver. So no, sir, from now on full tennies for me. You will be surprised to know I did not scream when I spotted the snake. That surprises myself as I just watched it shuddering.

After my outside work was done and at the protest of my right rear side/cheek seat which attacked me with a sharp pain as if to say, "enough bending!" I came inside to "red up" the sun porch. "Red up" translated for you non-Pennsylvanians is like tidy up, clear up, clean out. I love sitting out on our sun porch room, see the wicker onthe photo, but as we only use it during the warm weather I am way behind on my enjoyment of using it this year. Instead it had been getting regular contributions of things to be stored, packed or just put somewhere out of sight for a bit. In this effort, I reviewed my collection of Martha Stewart magazines and determined that years 2002--2006 had to be contributed to the library bins. Our wonderful little local library has bins where we can contribute our used magazines in the foyer. anyone who wants them then can help themselves, free. It's a great resource for schools who need materials for collages, artwork, as well as for people who just want something to read. I have donated regularly and sometimes I even find something of interest in the bins to pick out and bring home with me! Why I accumulate these magazines I cannot explain. It's with that intention to make, bake, cook, fix, some thing in the magazine. Sometimes I really have used the recipe or idea and then referred back to it. Just not often enough to justify accumulations. So I keep them fully intending to someday get back to that. Soon, they are taking up far too much room. So these went to the library bin today along with a years worth of gardening magazines. Next I need to "red up" the Art/Antique magazines which I also amass.

After clearing through my aunt's house in PA I have vowed to reduce my own collecting habits. We will see how long this lasts. Right now I'm in a simplification mode but as soon as that gremlin, strikes I will have a lot of self talking going on. You know the gremlin that lurks, making you look for something that you have kept for years and just recently tossed and now must have! I have a couple bags and boxes of items set aside for Goodwill or the Church rummage sale.

As usual with my projects one thing leads to another. I found that to store items I need an additional shelf in the side of the cupboard we have on the sun porch. We bought this for the kitchen and I decided I did not like having this moveable island in there. So it resides onthe sun porch and makes a handy bar or serving buffet. On the right is a long tall side where stuff gets piled on top of stuff. So that is keeping Jerry busy today. Otherwise I have gained the solace of the sun porch for morning coffee and evening wine and just general enjoyment looking out over the back yard and flowers. A lovely way to spend time. And today as my right seat cheek still tingles I am taking advantage of that. Another day off, no bike riding or Curves today. I am listening to my body say, "just give it up for another day." Even when I don't go to physically work out I am not sedentary.

This morning I did rose bush patrol and picked up 2 more Japanese beetles. This year those nasties got a strong hold on the gardens. I was gone and could not keep after them. But now that we have been home they are nearly gone again. My method involves scooting them into a jar of water where they swim desperately one on top of the other round and round. Then I set the jar covered in the sun to bake. It takes a day or so to do them in! They are really tough bugs! But I hate them for the destruction they do to the roses. We never had these in CA so this is a new to MN issue for me. I remember my grandma would pick them off and dump them into a can of kerosene and then when grandpap burned the bugs went up in flame. Mine are flushed down the toilet. Oh did I tell you I sometimes use my garden clippers to cut off a leg or so before tossing them into the jar! Who said I don't have a mean streak!

No comments:

Post a Comment