Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Monday, February 25, 2008

Political journey

When I was growing up Catholic in PA and JFK ran for President I lived in the most thrilling time ever. In college 1962-63 I remember how we sat in the dorm main room around the only TV watching the news about the Bay of Pigs. Back in those days we were in same sex only (female) dorms and shared a room with a roommate. Our rooms had a bed and a small desk where we could Study! We had no personal TV's, microwaves,cell phones, refrigerators--none of that stuff. How primitive this would be today! Anyhow we all supported our President and looked sadly around worrying about war. I especially worried about war and deaths. Those who know my life of losing my father WWII months before I was born know that it really bothered me.

Flash forward to CA and myself lying pregnant, knowing this first marriage was the biggest mistake I'd ever made, across the country from anyone and wondering what the *&^% I was to do while the black and white TV showed President Kennedy had been shot. I was so sick and so pregnant and now this. Surely not. I have read everything about the assassination of President Kennedy and still do not believe we know the truth. But I won't go there. Leave the speculation to others.

Move forward in time now to the 60's. Jerry & I were married and settled with Steve in our first home in Fair Oaks. I'm still a registered Democrat and Bobby Kennedy is now running. Then his assassination. I was devastated; there went our political hopes.

Sometime later and I don't know when, but I knew that I was not a Democrat. Actually we had become successful and I hated paying more and more taxes. We were part of the Jarvis Gann property tax revolution in CA which was something we benefited from as long as we lived in CA. A good thing.

I realized I was more a Republican but I sure did not like Richard Nixon. Never had. After his resignation I changed my party registration to Republican. I'm sure it was due to Reagan, whom I idolized and was so proud to begin working for at the state while he was still Governor. We were so happy when he ran for and became president! Such wit and managerial style He appointed good smart people who gave him good advice. (I am mostly impressed with smart--I don't do stupid at all!) I remember being advised when we worked on a welfare cost containment proposal that it would be presented to an incoming Democrat, Jerry Brown and his administration. Right then things became real clear to me that there is a big difference in political philosophies. I naively asked if they would not want the truth! What a laugh that brought from my colleagues and manager! So I learned more about politics.

Incidentally, Gov Moonbeam Brown had the strangest appointees. But you know they were deeply human and always concerned about those who worked in the system. True they started the worst thing to ever happen in CA state government--unions and affirmative action. But that's the way they believed, I think. I have other stories about some of those appointees.

I do remember voting for Jimmy Carter. Wow was that a big bad mistake! I remember thinking, "He seems human. He even carries his own suitcase! He wears jeans" What a way to waste a vote!

Now it's 2007 and I know that I'm not always a Republican, but I sure am not a Democrat. Independent doesn't appeal to me at all; what fun would that be to have no candidate? So I remain a registered Republican and go along with most of it. But I seriously depart from the ultra right wing (mostly old men and women) who ride the Abortion soapbox. I am for the woman's right to choose--always have been always will be. It is the most difficult decision a woman will ever have to make and it should be between she and her doctor! Don't tell me anything else! Don't mess with Roe v. Wade and quit wasting my time with your drivel! Besides that let science do it's thing with stem cell research! Sheesh!

Still the choice is not enough to make me support Hillary or Barack! McCain was not my first choice either but that's what we have going for us.

So here I sit in MN in Hubert Humphrey land surrounded by more Dems than ever. At least where we lived in Placer County in CA there were many Republicans. Here every school teacher or farmer has their hand out for $$ and are Dems. They call themselves DFL= Democratic Farm Labor. That says it all. I think these people just don't know any better. Lots of them born and raised in the same place and never lived anyplace else!

But Jerry--now he has been a registered Democrat all his voting life. He says it is because of Truman. I guess he liked Harry. He thinks it's funny and says that his party never sends mailings asking for money nor do they call and ask for $$. Well he's got that right. When Arnold Schwarzenegger became Gov of CA, I thought he'd be the answer to troubles but he backed way off. Arnold came with Maria Shriver, his wife, a life long Democrat--a Kennedy. So I laugh and tell people that Jerry is my Maria. Actually I know that Jerry votes more Republican than I do some time! He's a Rush listener, NRA supporter, etc. Hard core Republican but just won't change his registration. When we moved to MN I thought surely he'd change his registration to Republican. But no he didn't. So he accompanies me to most Republican events, supports Republicans and tells them that he's a Democrat. Gregg Davids, our former state rep. who lost his seat in the anti-Bush, Republican backlash last election but is running again laughs. He says that Jerry can be the head of the Democrats for Davids!

So I'm continuing in retirement some involvement in local and state race candidates. I'm a delegate to the endorsing district and state conventions. I have to learn about MN politics. The caucuses are very different. I sure would prefer a primary but don't think I'll be the one to change that. If I get bored, or frustrated, I'll sit back. For now, it's a way to meet more people and the candidates. I miss the insider info. I had when I was a state of CA mgr.

And so for my Polish grandfather who desperately struggled to learn English, become a citizen and believed this the greatest country in the world, I keep an interest in politics. Umh, I know as a coal miner he was a Union guy and a Democrat, but sorry, Grandpap, this only goes so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment