Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, November 8, 2013

Sepia Saturday 202 Cloche hats and the same couple or?

Oh what a treat, I offer this week a couple unknown to me who posed sans camera and whose photo was  amongst those of my late Uncle John Irwin, grandson of the  very late JR Irwin last week's post.  I have suspected that this small photo might be of  Uncle John's parents, Ned and Jessie Irwin....but since it was not labeled, I am unsure.  If it is it is only one of two photos I know of Ned, his father.  The cloche hat and the auto in the background make me think of the early 30's.  I cannot identify what she is holding in her hand, a treat?  He appears to have a cigarette hanging from his mouth and his left arm has moved blurring the photo...And what's up with the man behind them?. Ned and Jessie traveled extensively, Europe and especially England, are they off to parts unknown or just returning?  Why is he bare headed when all other photos of this era have men in  hats?  She appears bundled up in trench coat and hat and he is sans overcoat too?  So many questions and suppositions, for this photo of mystery to me today a couple out and about, no beach no camera..

To see what others have shared this week, click here to the International Sepia site....
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2013/11/sepia-saturday-202-9-november-2013.html

16 comments:

  1. Still, for all that, an interesting photo. I wonder what she is holding in her hand. The cloche hat suits her face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must have been a reason for taking the photo, but it's certainly not obvious to an uninformed observer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me it looks like he is about to put his hat on, which is why there is movement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Sharon's right about the hat business; I'm not sure that's a cigarette he's got in his mouth (too fat, too big). But that cloche hat certainly fits the bill here; is she holding a big peach pit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is she eating something perhaps? She holds it like it's sticky or messy to touch. I really like this couple, very engaging they are and it's cool how the photographer caught his taking off or putting on of his hat. Possibly not what the photographer had in mind, but it's very fun for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh almost forgot, I bet that's a cigar in his mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ned and Jessie were obviously spies incognito, and the guy in behind is tailing them. Case Closed. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe she's holding a ring-box with a diamond in it, and he removed his hat when he proposed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the guy in the hat is about to arrest Ned because of the big "cigarette" he has hanging out of his mouth. He was about to cover his face with the hat, but too late for that. She is, perhaps, eating a candy bar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh my fellow Sepians have not disappointed me, great tales now to hang with the photo! Perhaps so, movement with the hat, cigar, spies....yes good fun. Sometimes it's more amusing to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's holding his hat. Maybe he took it off to greet someone. Maybe that is some kind of candy in his mouth, or one of those party things that you blow in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's holding something in both hands (unless she has 2 thumbs on the right hand). OK, now I can't quit studying that picture. I hate being defeated by a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah family history, full of mysteries. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is about to show how he throws his hand on with a frisbee motion,

    ReplyDelete
  15. sure enough Ned has hat in hand; I did not notice that before---how's this he has a big bubblegum cigar in his mouth and Jessie plans to squash it with the lump of coal in her hand...

    ReplyDelete