Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, December 16, 2011

No Time

A multitude of tasks have been completed and now I am amidst clearing shelves and clutter from the downstairs study.  Amidst, is an appropriate term, inch by inch and my interest wanes despite my discomfort with the sight.   Photos in frames have been rearranged and tidied up on top of the two movable book shelves. Two tiny crystal  lamps which belonged to my grandmother and which Jerry rewired  are now atop the shelves.  I have no other place for them but at least for now do not want to send them on their way to Goodwill.

This room is the  primary area where we  display photos in a gallery of sorts and it is also my project room, the library, and the computer site. More photos in boxes and piles, amassed from my departeds reside in the  back bedroom off this room, where I can close the door and keep going through  that sorting.   I have found if I put  something away by the time I return to it, I can't find where I left off.  So I take advantage of the luxury of space to keep my mess active.  In the far corner of this picture is the small portable sewing machine; my other machine which I prefer to use has its own  sewing closet off the rec room.   

The last many days have been dreary but today the sun is shining although it is plenty cold but at least the cold north wind is not blowing from yesterday where  34 degrees felt  like zero.  Just the day before that I was about wearing only a vest but now it is time for the heavy coat and hood.   With sunshine I am likely to amble away from the midst of this mess; outside to give the squirrels a new suet box and to just check on the smells and colds of winter.  

These two chairs which we moved from CA face the computer
space and the gas inset fireplace; built in book shelves to the left 
behind the chairs is  activity clutter.
Actually I suppose it is not all that bad compared to some, but I dislike disarray; it makes me very uncomfortable, I suppose it is the Polish clean genes from my grandmother and shades of Aunt Jinx's ghost.  I have talked myself into leaving for  the outdoors,  ...the benefit is all the doors could be closed off to hide this if someone happened over and down to our TV/rec room the other side of the wall.  But then upstairs is
devoid of activities and that is where most of our entertaining is done and guests gather.  And  this is the benefit of retirement, to dabble when and how long as I want to do so.  

The scene behind the chairs

Behind the chairs is a magnificent large leather covered coffee table acquired for the rec room but which I have confiscated here to provide my measuring cutting space, one of the four stools which slide under it is quite handy for working from, the other three serve as  stools, tables in the rec room. 

 Below is an in process idea, which just might be accomplished soon.  A way to recycle an old friend t-shirt from 1998, Newcastle Mandarin Days.  I found just the right fabric for the back of the pillow, setting  there on the right.  
Here is a tshirt which is about to become a pillow
These folding doors are the entry to this inner sanctum
and the green door is to the downstairs bedroom or
the room with the photo messes.  Built in book shelves
are to the right and the left, all  filled.
So this is  one reason why I have not had time to blog post, much else to do.  Alright then, so many projects, so little time, too many ideas, time for fresh air the sun is calling!

7 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I do know what you mean both about clearing clutter and not having time to blog post or to read other blog posts. For the past 3-4 weeks, I have working on getting rid of stuff we no longer need or use (or both). I put items that are in good condition to be donated in a box and as soon as the box is full it goes out the door. We went through holiday stuffed toys and donated 2 bagfuls to a local nursing home. There's still much more to do, but at least it's a start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bea, Oh yes, I hauled 4 bags to Goodwill yesterday, my clothing and things we just don"t use, including some paintings I did that I am tired looking at when I was taking a class, but lots more to do. Today when Jerry returned from a trip to Sam's where we buy our toilet paper & plastic sandwich and other bags in bulk, he started to store them in the closet upstairs and found 2 more items for the donation box--a beautiful ceramic cover for cubes kleenex boxes...,.someone gave it to me when I worked and it is lovely but truly I do not use such things. Most Kleenex boxes have decent designs...

    Another was a vintage Seal a Meal, still works apparatus that my aunt passed along to me when she tired of it in PA, I believe that was in 2003. I have never used it so it is going on now too.

    Along with two huge corning ware roaster and big deep pan. I used these last in CA when we had big family gatherings, etc. No longer do we have those. Although I moved them here I have not used them since 2005. I tried to donate them to our Church kitchen but the old ladies ( they are slightly older than me) who run the place do not want them--they are afraid someone would break them....go figure) so they are going to Goodwill.

    Have you noticed that as soon as you dispose of something you want it? I have, but after 6 years of no use, I can't justify the space it takes up. We never have such a crowd here to entertain; if it should happen it would have to be something very easy--soups, snacks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes I know about no time. I waste whatever time I find on the computer. And I have the nerve to call the computer stupid.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, it's once you throw it out...you suddenly need it so bad....I've been doing some of this myself and found some things my children had tucked away...and it was lots of fun going over this and that...and now it's out the door and home with them! Cool right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pat, so far I haven't noticed that I need anything I have donated/tossed out. Of course, that may not be so if I continue going as madly as I have been the past couple of weeks. More stuff was loaded in my car today for drop-off at the local Hospice Thrift Store tommorrow. GOod luck to both of as we continue our de-cluttering..I still have a long way to go, but at least have started!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Bend Oregon wishing you Joyeux Noël

    ReplyDelete