Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Thursday, December 22, 2011

A morning sight and memories

November 13 Amaryllis just planted
out of the box into the container
November 13 twin Amaryllis
 just planted
I had an early AM blood test at the doctor's  (just routine) and so I was awake in the dark and all was quiet, as I walked down the hall toward the kitchen and  flipped the light switch I caught sight of the progress of my Birthday Amaryllis in our living room; I had been given two and now I  hearken back to my years of Latin, what is the plural amarilli, amarilla, amarillae?  I will have to find out, Miss Rohrbach and Miss Hood, our Latin teachers would expect me to know.   

We have been watching these twins grow at different rates, although ala  Jack & the Beanstalk as only a healthy amaryllis will.  Ours have sped up over the month.


Amaryllis November 22,  nine days from planting
The pilgrim  guy was Uncle Carl's

This morning  I recalled how much Mom  &; Aunt Jinx enjoyed these; I lived across the country and always strived to send them something that would be unique, really appreciated and enjoyable.  It was a challenge.  Today I fully comprehend why; at this stage of life and age we have been blessed and  own everything we want or will buy something if it appeals and we really want it.  The last thing I need are trinkets, knick knacks, etc and the like or more "what nots", Jinx' term.  


November 22, the other amaryllis
They grew at different rates
Mom's way of thanking on the phone was something I came to expect, "Quit spending money on these things, I really do not need them. But thank you."  Or, if I sent food, "Well we ate those but really we can buy them here in the stores too, save your money."  Other than the mandarin oranges we could ship direct from our Newcastle orchard to her in PA there was really little  I could come up with that she did not protest my spending  money.  Sometimes in frustration I used to think, "Mom!  For crying out loud just say thank you."  But she  and her sister and the entire clan were of the generation where money was not to be wasted; they  had survived the depression, World War II and strikes at the mills,  factories and mines.  They did not waste a dime.  Money was hard to come by and they valued saving. 


December 22 living room sight
both amaryllis;
one is31 inches tall and still in bud;
 the blooming beauty is  29 inches tall 
 But one year I ordered amaryllis and that absolutely enchanted her.  She had never seen one and was so curious, placed it on the mid stair landing near a window where it was the first  thing she would see when she was on her way downstairs each morning.  Each morning she measured it delighting as it grew and grew and then bloomed in full glory.  Voila, victory was mine. 

From then on I sent amaryllis at Christmas and birthday flowers, bouquets, arrangements.  I was fortunate to have a home town florist ; only a phone call away across country.  I'd  call and tell them how much I wanted to spend and they did the rest.  Steiner's Florist a reliable friend,  retired and is long  now closed up in New Kensington, as everything else.  Mom loved the flowers and the amaryllis and changed her advice to "I am so glad to have these flowers while I am still alive to see them.  They don't do a dead person any good."  I heard that she would brag to her sister or friends, "Patty sent me flowers" proof of her enjoyment.  

October 1996 the sisters visited us in CA
Jerry seated, Aunt Jinx to  left, Mom to right, me standing
Mom died suddenly in 2004 of a  heart attack, the youngest of the family of sister's and brother at only 80.  She was healthy other than the mind.  Her sudden death  was a shock but a blessing as her dementia was progressing and we had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's, the years ahead would not have been good.  I thought about her this morning.

Today we receive gifts of fruit arrays from the CA son and DIL and I feel like my mother, really we can buy delicious pears and apples right here, but I never say that because I know they are working, busy caring for DIL's mother and son's  mother (Jerry's long ago ex) who live with them.  So a stop at Costco or online suits them.  Still, I often think the same as Mom, save your money.   Jerry does not eat pears which leaves them all to me; while I enjoy one now and then I have these to share with others.  But , I do not say that, recalling my own frustration, "thank you" is the phrase. 

The shorter amaryllis shows off
8 blooms,  four per bud

This the taller of the twins
is 31 inches but it has
only one bud. 

I do very little with house plants, inside but these amaryllis are seasonal and after the blooms, the leaves will die back and I can store them down in the well cellar.  Perhaps they will rebloom next year.  I have a few  other  amaryllis bulbs given to me by a friend.  Some of those rebloom around Easter yearly but they are pink, so these Christmas reds are a welcome change of color. 

We have a jade plant and a Christmas (zygo) cactus that blooms on my birthday inside now as they could not survive outdoors here.  But come springtime, those potted plants will go back outside.  Living in CA and gardening outside as I did, I have little interest or tolerance for house plants.  I shudder when someone offers me one and I decline explaining that it would need a babysitter when we are on our travels.  I have seen RV'ers who travel with plants, or maybe they are full time RV'ers who travel with their house plants.  I do not want to do that and the other half of this house would strenuously object. 

3 comments:

  1. I love amaryllis and paper whites at this time of the year. I get them for myself,if I remember. Otherwise, the idea doesn't come to me until Christmas is past!

    We have resorted to Oregon products like jams and jellies and wine, or gift cards, or subscriptions to magazines they like. It is hard finding just the right stuff.

    Enjoy your fruit!
    (I have never appreciated avocados until now,btw, as they are quite expensive here.) Now, I ask for avocados for Christmas from my California family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, what a timely post that really hit home with me because my mother makes most of the very same comments. We will not be seeing her until January when we make our road trip to visit family in PA, RI, CT and NJ. I wanted to send her a gift for Christmas and got the same comments as from your mom. My mother also says "don't waste your money." And I can understand her not wanting more "things" and "stuff" at her age (89) because we too do not want "things." Still I wanted to send something, so a small floral arrangement will be arriving this weekend. Hopefully she will enjoy it, but I know she will think I should not have sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we may have discussed this before. As my folks aged we gave up giving them 'trinkets' for their home and went to consumables that we knew they liked and would use. Even so, when dad, the last to go, died, we found shirts, embroidered handkerchiefs, ties, socks and other items, many years old and still in the original packaging. With the kids, I send money, Christmas and birthdays. For my brother and a couple of 40 and 50 year friendships I do send consumable items. We now also seem to receive consumables as the kids say, "Anything you want or need you already have or would buy for yourself. I have a cabinet loaded with a variety of nuts and candies, the kinds I will love but might never think to buy for myself. And now, 1330, it's time to make something for lunch.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete