Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, August 26, 2011

A knock at the door and......

Yesterday AM a knock on the motor home door revealed an elderly man who stood outside, ready to enter with a pair of moccasins in his hand to not track in wet grass or dirt.  Trouble was, we had no clue of his identity.  Jerry was mystified as the man began to enter and asked, "can I help you?" to which the man replied, "I came to sell you something." to which Jerry replied, "well I have a house to sell you."  The man looked at him as if to say, "what is wrong with you, get out of the doorway and let me in."  I appeared, took one look and thought, "oh no another elderly man who should not be out driving, he's confused."  When I asked who he was looking for, he replied, "Bauman's" and then suddenly realized that was not us.   He said, "oh am I at the wrong place?"  We said yes, we did not know them, but then he said, "Well I saw your HHR and thought...."  Six  spaces down at the end of our line was another motor home with an HHR.  We suggested that might be the right one and he laughed, "well I wondered why there was no one outside to greet me, They told me to make a left at the hill and I guess I made one left too many."  Obviously he was not totally confused.  He drove his car down to the other motor home and there his friends awaited.  When we returned back yesterday  afternoon we noticed his car and theirs were still there.  We laughed about what he must have thought when Jerry offered to sell him a house.  Can you just hear him telling his friends, "Those nutty people wouldn't just tell me I was at the wrong place, he wanted to sell me a house."  All's well that ends well but after posting the event on facebook, several others have had similar experiences at  motels, etc. where children or adults came in to the wrong place. 

  I recalled an episode from Marilyn,  my Louisiana rose friend, who jumped right into the passenger side of a waiting pick up truck outside the post office to the astonishment of her husband in their truck and the man who was in the driver's seat waiting for his wife.  Marilyn then, the epitome of southern lady charm said, "well, tell ya what I'm gonna do, just get myself over there to Myron's truck.  Bye now."  She was only in her 50's at the time and not senile and all had a good laugh.  But I thought about how immediately I suspected the gentleman at the door of having dementia when it was just a simple mistake.  I suppose these things jump out of my head because of recent years dealing with relatives with dementia.  Last Sunday's Valley News Dispatch here featured a front page story of a man diagnosed with dementia at age 36, now 42 years old he resides in a nursing home unable to feed himself, unaware of anyone and wheel chair bound.  A friend and I discussed how tragic that is and it is surely one of the youngest people to get a dementia diagnosis.

This AM I enjoyed two cuppa's from the new Keurig  B31 that I bought yesterday at JCPenney's, Mills Mall for the motor home. It will stay in here and travel easily.  Carlie had given me an assortment of teas and cocoas leaving me bound to buy the Keurig now and it was on sale at JC's.   Although Jerry disdained my purchase  because he brews and consumes a pot of Folgers each morning while I prefer better coffees,  this morning he allowed as how the Keurig might be quite handy on the road when he wants just a quick cup of coffee.  This baby brews 3 sizes, 6, 8, and 10 ounce however my tall travel mug does not fit into it but  Jerry's squattier travel mug does.  To this discovery  his eyes said, "never mind and hands off my mug. "  Not to worry at home, I have a big ceramic mug that will do and or, I may now search for a squattier travel mug.  I bought a box of Paul Newman's extra bold because I enjoy strong coffee and also because I buy other Newman brands and have never been disappointed.  Besides they donate all proceeds/profits to worthwhile charities.
Today is a meeting with the realtor and a discussion of whether or not we can winterize the home or if we will have to return again  late October to shut off water, etc.  Regardless I am looking forward to a good month at home.  Things could be far worse, this area is not in the path of Irene. 

We had dinner at the local Anchor Inn last night which was just as busy as ever.  It is time for me to go home as I just could not decide what to eat, I was feeling picky and settled on a  grilled chicken salad while Jerry had a big heaping  open faced meatloaf sandwich with mashed potatoes, etc. However they do make delicious pies and yesterday's was coconut cream a favorite of mine which I never make because Jerry does not like coconut.  But I did  get a slice to bring back to the motor home and had a taste last night later.  It is sweeter than I like and enough for  3 servings, kind of the size that Marge's in La Crosse, WI serves.  Which brings me to my last  comment, why serve so much food.  I never finish mine  and really with the obesity problems in this country, serving sizes need to be smaller.   I can understand why there are so many heavy people especially if they eat out all the time and consume it all.  Really other than those who do hard physical work all day, nobody needs that much food.  Now I know I am channelling my Aunt Jinx, skinny all her life who could eat with the best of them, but who always noticed when an overly large person was eating a lot. I guess some people only think they get their money's worth with huge portions.  I should think a smaller portion at a lower price would be preferable, but that's just my opinion.  And what do I know, I immediately  think an old man at the door has dementia.

5 comments:

  1. One of my dad's friends opened the door and stepped into the living room, waved a bottle of booze in the air and loudly proclaimed, "I brang you some refreshments." Then realized he didn't recognize a single person in the room. Was in the house next door. He was only about 50 at the time. One of those subdivisions where every house looked alike, just reversed plan for every other house. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on serving sizes, so you are not alone on this. It must be why I like White Castle burgers so much.

    But hey, given how bad inflation has gotten for food, smaller portions will be coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Old man at the door has dementia." As I used to tell a staffer who worked for me, and have mentioned to Carol a few times, "If the Olympics recognized conclusion jumping as a sport, you'd be a gold medalist." I was amused by the "path of Irene" comment too. My first mother in law, Irene, was old country raised by Austrian parents. She was short, stout, and like a tank both physically and with attitude. If you were standing at the sink and she wanted to go there she never asked you to move. You'd just receive a football style body block and find yourself three feet away while she was now at the sink. We all used to laugh at her direct way of getting things done. First time I had thought of this in years. What an appropriate name for a hurricane! Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat, thanks for the post on our blog and how ironic that I posted a meat loaf recipe right after Jerry had the same for dinner. You are right about some portion sizes being way too large. At home we prepare our plates in the kitchen so there won't be any chance for seconds which we don't need anyway and besides leftovers are great later in the week - a no cooking night! The story about the confused caller was amusing and glad he found his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a HOOT!!! Now I could really entertain you with the "odd" things I do on the moment!! Oh, and no I don't want to buy a house! I could just hear that poor man trying to explain those demented, crazy talking people withe HHR..

    Now as to the pie. I rarely go out for pie so if they served me a piece that was large I would simply dive in and take the remainder with me, of course I weigh 124 #'s. It is time for you to have a dose of homeland. You need to get away from the quagmire of your current situation. Reality and pressure needs to be replaced with some calm and joy, even if it is the weeds and trimming your home base will need.

    But then what do I know?? I might be suffering with dementia in a world that is oblivious!! But I still don't wanta' buy that house!

    Hugs and
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete