Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It is the little things that get ya' everytime

So yesterday I paid the plumber for the inspection and dye test required by the city of Lower Burrell; he has to turn in the paperwork to the city and  now to get the inspectors out.  Of course I paid that fee to the city as well last week and still no word on when they might find time in their schedule to check out the house.  I will stop into city hall this morning on our way to the house and try to find out something. This is a perfect example of government make work.  Even Allegheny County  across the river does not have this requirement; well I suppose in the city of Pittsburgh itself there is a similar happening. 

Jerry mowed the entire lawn the long hard way with the old mower which thankfully we kept.  It looks far better than the way the  lawn mowers had left it.  I tried calling several lawn and landscaping services yesterday that advertise in the local paper and not a one of them come to Lower Burrell; I wonder why do they advertise in the local paper then? 

Yesterday, Jerry was reminiscing about how precise Uncle Carl was in designing shelves, fitting things together and how detailed Carl's vision and engineering were.  Of course a craftsman like Jerry would appreciate that.  Today many would be clueless.  Jerry also mentioned how  he hated to see all the tools gone and the man cave basement empty.  I miss the old wooden porch swing that belonged to my grandparents.  We saw nothing in the estate sale receipts  to document tool sales.  This leads us to suspect  a fast one by the woman and husband team who did the sale for us.  If I had it to do over, and I realize that I don't I would have waited.  But this is looking  through that marvelous 20/20 hind sight.  At the time the realtor encouraged clearing the place and I realize it had to be done.  But perhaps we could have deferred on the basement contents.   Jerry said he would have towed the trailer back here and loaded it up now that we made  zippo on all that.  Ah well,  regrets do no good and tasks  aplenty await us still onward and forward.

But it is the little things that cause the pangs of regret.  Jerry had placed a very small box of small tools and an old hunting knife that he left on the shelf above the washing machine in the basement which was fully and clearly  marked, "Not for Sale" " Do Not Sell."  The estate woman had  covered over the ironing board and iron atop the washer and dryer & marked it all "Not for Sale"   Well, damned didn't someone go out of their way to steal that small box of metal tape measure, screw drivers', and the knife.  Someone had to work at taking that and we assume it was taken.  Same thing happened with a metal industrial dust pan which we had set aside with the mower and a bucket.  The country western song, says it all,   "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy....."  Small things in the grand scheme and yet it is the little things......These are the things that get ya; when you are honest as we think we are, it is a difficult truth to  reconcile that others do not share the same values. 

After meeting with my friend and attorney yesterday and lamenting that we did not keep the hedge shears and the nephew has not  done what he said he would do, trim the hedges, etc.  Rich, the attorney proved himself to be full service.  Last night we had a reunion planning meeting for our 50th High School event next year.  Rich brought his electric hedge clippers and a long extension cord to loan to us, that's the royal "us" because  Jerry, will use them.  Once again it is good to have friends.  Another friend gave me the name of her lawn mower and I will call him today. 

I laughed at the reunion meeting when people asked me if I came home just for the meeting.  Carlie knows differently as does Rich, but the others?  I joked that since  the last time I had been to one was the  10th I didn't want to be left out.  Rich teased, "We tried to keep her away...."  I have another mission/task now which is to ensure that out of our graduating class of about 360 with about 40 already dead and gone, we have at least 100 at our 50th. Rich has bet me $20 that we will be lucky to have 70 there.  I say surely if we cannot get 100 of us we are the sorriest group to ever graduate from Ken Hi in the Glory Days.   There are so many of our classmates who live locally and yet do not come to the reunions for whatever reasons.  Perhaps if you live in the same place where you grew up there is not a whit of nostalgia?   Still a  50th!  Surely they will come out of  curiosity.  We have planned a very informal beer/pizza gathering for Friday night and a banquet for Saturday night with a live band to play our hits.  People will likely complain about the cost and some will not come because of that, but don't you think that given a year's notice they can save the $50 to attend?  So being someone who hates to lose a bet, I will campaign on Facebookc'mon people, your excuses are well ridiculously small, "I don't know anyone"  I don't have anyone to dance with"  "I need to lose weight" and yet those excuses  are what can take you under.  Get over yourself and come out and enjoy the  50th.

1 comment:

  1. The only two reunions our class ever had, the folks who set them up invited both the class ahead and the class behind us. These were the people we mostly associated with and it assured a good number of attendees for what was in 1946 a small graduating class. Something to think about. By today's standards, we were also a weird bunch as we agreed to have our first reunion at twenty five years rather than the 5 or 10 so prevalent now. High schools now usually have a "homecoming" game at some time during the football season. I have often thought how nice it would be to combine that game with a whole school reunion. Large name tag with the graduation date prominently displayed. Perhaps a register with dated pages for attendees to sign in. Would also be a way to keep more or less current addresses and to facilitate contact with old friends with whom we've lost contact. Tom

    ReplyDelete