Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, June 10, 2011

Sepia Saturday 78 Uncle Carl"s Paris 1945?

He wrote, "Eiffel Tour Paris"
Alan  is aboard in New York and hopefully enjoying all things the city offers.  He mentioned buildings as the prompt for this week.  I am engaged with much business of my uncle's estate but finally able to do some sharing here on our Sepia community.  As I have shared before, Uncle Carl was with the US Army 809th Tank Destroyer Unit in World War II and all over Europe, even serving time with General Patton.  At one point they were in Paris.   I have scanned a few of the photos he sent home to his mother and sisters, small black and whites still like new all these many many years later.

The year is not identified but based on the  photos in the album from Germany I suspect this was about 1945, perhaps after the war ended.  If you enlarge these photos you can see the old cars.  I like the fountains here in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Along with photos he sent his sisters silk handkerchiefs.  I have the white and blue ones that he'd given to my Mom and to my aunt.  I have scanned only the blue silk one.  Both are under glass on an antique dresser in a bedroom here.

Never having been to Paris I am not sure of this next photo however he did write de la Concorde on the back.  This one shows the Eiffel Tower far off to the right in the distance.  Enlarging the photo makes the old cars visible, which makes me think that this is  after the war. 

He wrote "Palace de la Concorde"
The blue silk handkerchief.  To my sister
 Notice the flags on the corner of the handkerchief.  This is a bit faded but at 66 years it is entitled to have some wrinkles and fade spots.  I have not attempted to do any restoration or cleaning to this because I do not want to destroy it.  It appears to be painted on silk. I wonder if Uncle Carl might not have done this himself because he was an artist in his own right.

Wherever he went he never forgot home and his family. As busy as he was he always took time to remember. Whatever he saw, and I know there were horrors of war, he never wanted to return. Years later his wife would travel to Europe but he always said he had seen enough to last a lifetime.

All the photos are small, about 2inches  by 3 inches,  black and whites and I wonder if they might have been some type of postcard, but there appears to be no way to determine that.  All are stamped, "approved by Censor" on the back side.  Other than Uncle Carl's writing that is all I know about them.  Although the landmarks still exist today, I expect the surrounding areas have had significant changes.  This last one that I scanned for this week is my favorite, showing the river and the bridge. On the back of it, Uncle Carl wrote, "La Cite, Paris"   
Paris about 1945?
This is my return to the Sepia Saturday community after so many weeks away.  As usual click on the title to this post to go to the Sepia site from where you can see what others have shared this week.     







17 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to hve those inscribed on the back, even if Uncle Carl confused his tour with his tower! That silk handkerchief is a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first view of the Eiffel Tower was fro the back of an Army truck in the late 1950s. That just might be Place de la Concorde rather than Palace. When in the Army I spent some interesting time in Paris but have not been back since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting photos. The cars might not be as big a determination as to what year it was. There were plenty of officials, officers, and the like running around after Paris was liberated and they weren't using jeeps. Still it is a marvelous glimpse into what it was like after the allies retook France!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think palace was confused with place! The last photo is my favorite too, and I love the souvenir handkerchief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures, thank you for showing them to us! I've been to Paris multiple times when I was very young, so I can't remember that much. I must return soon, it isn't that far from Amersfoort (300 miles).

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are like the ones i posted on my blog:

    http://www.ticklebear4u.com/2010/12/sepia-saturday-38.html

    but if yours were stamped "approved by censor", wouldn't it be possible this was DURING the war?
    perhaps shortly before the end, but still...
    after the liberation of Paris?
    nice post!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat, I'm sorry that your Uncle Carl has passed on, but what treasures you have come across! I enjoyed reading about his adventures and seeing the wonderful pictures. To think that he was in Paris during WWII ... and the hand painted handkerchiefs. Have you considered making a shadow box, grouping everything all together in one place?

    Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope that your week is wonderful.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not be surprised if Uncle had not found a way to snea,k over to Paris from Germany for fun. So much I do not know because he never would talk to me, the baby girl about his war times. He was ever aware of the lost men, in his later years he would say, "It was OK if you made it out...."

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It was OK if you made it out...."

    in french, a normal response would be "OUF!!", just as if someone had shoved a fist in your stomach... you know what i mean? that is one of the reasons i am anti-war... even those who survive, don't!! something inside dies in them... and there is not enough hugs in this world to console them. i'm a nurturer. i don't think i could take a life. i don't have any kids and that's about the only reason i would lose it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silk embroidered postcards were a hot with the British soldiers in the Great War too, and often had flags in a very similar manner to those on your handkerchief. Great mementoes - thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brett the other silk handkerchief has only the British and American flags; I was surprised to find these in 2009 when my aunt passed; I remembered seeing hers and Mom's when I was a child. Then they were gone...when I found them in 2009 I asked Uncle Carl about them and he said he had sent them to his sisters from France because they were cheap and easy to mail...

    TB I agree that war leaves lasting scars on survivors; myself for one having lost the dad I never knew..these so many years down life I still wonder, what if he had made it, how would life have been different, better....sometimes though how can free countries avoid it & remain free....today more sinister than outright battles of the past wars because we don"t know who we are "fighting" and the politicos interfere with their incessant words and "rules" none of which the enemy abides by....sigh There is nothing victorious about any of it and it takes the youngest always...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures again Pat. I love the way he attempted to write the picture titles in French, despite not being a fluent speaker (eg La Tour Eiffel, Place de la Concorde)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the winner is the one who loses the least... but everybody loses something. i wonder what it will take for mankind to reach its age of reason... i find there is enough with crimes, accidents and illnesses, we shouldn't have to deal with war and be able to resolve matters peacefully.

    wishful thinking, i know, but i'm a dreamer!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it's nice to see the Place de le Concorde from above instead of in the middle of it in the backseat of a cab with a driver intent on making near misses a sport!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love these black and white photos. I scanned in my mother's (she was born in 1905, died 2003) and made a family history book. She had collected a lot of photos and also included pictures in what she wrote about her honeymoon in 1939. This is GREAT stuff.

    You said you half finished my memoir last night. Everyone is telling me it's so compelling. I guess it did turn out pretty well. When you write a review, Pat, let me know. And if you would also post it on Amazon, I'd be so grateful. A friend is trying to help me get the book into the library where she works, and she says they're big on such reviews. If you've never posted one, it's very easy. I'll tell you how to do it.

    Thanks SO much. And I'm glad you're enjoying the book!
    WordPress blog of Ann Best, Memoir Author
    Blogspot of Ann Best

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nuts. I think Blogger just ate up my comment. It's not here. Anyway, I said I'm so glad you like my memoir. And thank you in advance for the review. Would you also post it on Amazon? A friend is trying to get the book in the library where she works and they're big on reviews. I'd appreciate it SO much. If you've never done this, I can tell you how. It's so simple even I can do it!

    I just went over to Sepia Saturday. What a wonderful site! I signed on and made a comment. SO glad I came over here to day. I love your black and white photos, my favorite kind of photographs. I love Ansel Adams.

    Later, Ann :)
    WordPress blog of Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, p.s. I guess I didn't see that you approve it before it's published. So use whichever comment you'd like to!

    ReplyDelete