Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, January 28, 2011

Sepia Saturday Week 59 Mystery men awaiting (Click Here to Sepia site)


Men waiting for the train
Leechburg, PA   1900
 I found these two photos among  the collections of my aunt Virgina (Jinx) and although I know nothing about any of the people and the photos are  ragged, I thought they were interesting historical slices from the past.  This first  shows six men at the train station, so it was marked on the back, writing nearly faded away along with the year 1900.  No names, no other information.  Four of the men appear to  be smoking cigars.  All are wearing hats which would have been expected at that time, but I find the variance in dress interesting.  Check out the  middle man with long coat and derby and the short swing style jacket sported on the 2nd man from the right.  The 2nd man from the left looks like he is ready to bolt.  I wonder if they were meeting passengers on that train or waiting to board. Are any of the men relatives?  The man standing on the far right  resembles  my Grandmother Roses'  brother,  Bill.  Far more questions than answers here now. I expect they  must have known one another, else why would they have posed for the photo.  I could make up a wonderful tale using this photo and just may do that someday.   Leechburg, PA is a borough  about 15 miles from my home town in PA and was founded in 1850 by David Leech who purchased land from a local Native American, White Maddock.  In  better times it was a major port on the PA canal and home to steel mills, foundries, coal mines.  It is the first place where natural gas was used for industrial purposes in the country.  

The second photo is another historical snap and interests me, the decor of the place and the flashback to a time when hats were cleaned and shoes/boots were shined as a way to make a living.  I suspect one would starve today making a living at either or both services combined.  Again I know neither who the man is nor why my aunt had this photo.  Looks like he had a great business.  Is he the owner or a customer?

Apollo, PA Hat Cleaner  1926
I wonder if this photo may have been taken in the summer, around Memorial Day or the  4th of July with the flags and all the straw hats on the shelf along the right.  The back of the photo stated only "Apollo, PA 1926"  and I have added Hat Cleaner.  Apollo, PA is another  of the small boroughs near my home town.  As I was writing I recalled  learning in elementary school that Apollo, PA named after the Greek God is a palindrome,(before you grab your Funk and Wagnalls that is a word that is spelled the same forward or backward).  It was another steel town along the rivers out of Pittsburgh founded in 1895. 

These are my two mystery photos.  Both in poor condition and both intriguing.  Wish I had known about these when I could have asked my aunt for information.  As always click on the title to go to the Sepia Saturday host site where you can see other's photos. 

14 comments:

  1. Hat cleaners! I had no idea such a thing existed, but this is a fabulous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way the men are wearing their hats is interesting also - a bit daring the one at the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting pics, definitely a window into the times. Of course hat cleaning, shoe shine parlors and shoe repair shops flourished. I can remember when most barber shops had a shoe shine stand and we'd get our shoes shined while waiting for a hair cut. In the cities, train depots and other places with significant foot traffic you would find "boot blacks" eking out a living. Clothing was expensive and people took care of it, cleaned and repaired rather than replace. We have become a throw away society, given to following fads which we term fashions and buying new at the whims of designers rather than buying quality and making it last. One of the reasons that I started buying western styled dress clothes when I moved to Susanville was because the styles were more or less permanent. I continued to use those clothes even though some very minior changes occured; mostly no more than a small change in the size or shape of lapels, for example. I still have a topcoat, pants, shirts and a couple of jackets that are as wearable today as they were in the 1960's; if I could get into them, anyway. Even my dress suits were western cut and styled. But if you couldn't wear western boots, or for dress the half boots, the effect was not the same. In fact, it would make you look pretty stupid.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting pictures. So sad no one wrote names on them. That is how so many of my family photos are

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots! I can't help but think of the Hole in the Wall Gang when I see the first one. Perhaps the gang in fancy dress right before they blow up another train car and escape with the loot.

    The hat photo is really extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tattered. Yes indeed Hole in the Wall Gang! I wondered if I have some train robbers in my ancestry! :) I keep learning more about my ancestors all the time, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these little snippets of mystery. The untold stories are so enticing. Does the man on the far right have his jacket buttons done up wrongly? I think man-in-the-middle looks rather dashing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could wander around both photographs for ages, seeing new things, new connections to things that have now long vanished. I want my hat cleaning now, but will I find anyone to offer the service. Not a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat, these really are such interesting photos. You are right, the men at the train station look like time travelers - all of them in clothing that might be from different eras. Although I know about shoe shiners, I didn't know there were hat cleaners. It does look like a prosperous establishment. Very interesting views into the past. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if either town has a historical society where you could learn more information about the people in the photos. I wonder if Apollo had a city directory for 1926 where you could learn who owned the hat store.

    They are fabulous photos. I noticed the difference in coats in the first and wondered which was the newest style. The hats are all the same, more or less. In the second photo the shop owner really decorated for the holiday. I was surprised to see streamers.

    I hope you're able to learn more about the people in the photos. One of the men's great-grandchildren might be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy, excellent suggestions...next trip to PA I will try the historical societies, not much left in Apollo these days but maybe the library?? If there is one. It's one of the towns that devastated with loss of steel industry and has not recovered much. I like to think family might want them, but if they are like the remains of mine they are at best disinterested, sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun pics!! love the long coat!! something i'd wear...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ticklebear, Yes he is looking like the one in charge...quite dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both photos are from a time warp. I like the hat cleaning store. It is strange to see how they decorated the interior. The train men makes you wonder where they were all going and why.

    ReplyDelete