Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, January 7, 2011

Sepia Saturday 56 The Model Ts and Horse Drawn

Charlie Behrndt driving horse team in La Crescent
Appx 1920's
This is my response to the horse drawn photo on the Sepia site, from the Library of Congress.   I'm back to sorting photos from Jerry's side, ones we rescued from his 93 year old mother's stacks when we moved her into the nursing home in September.  Among our many frustrations with her is the big unanswered question, "why  didn't she share any of this stash earlier so the family might have been able to identify people and events, when folks  were alive and around when there could have been discussions?."  Such is the theme song of her life, self centered, poor decisions with little care about others as I have written about before but this is not about her only as  she is the source of these photos....  Jerry has most fond  memories of his maternal Grandpa Charlie Behrndt and knows that Grandpa Charlie did not  like to drive instead leaving the driving to Grandma Esther a diffferent attitude for that time. Charlie preferred his horses, so when we found this old photo where Aunt Marie had written across the back, "Pa, moving rail road debris"  it brought a laugh.  Unfortunately it was not dated, so we can guess it is likely the  1920's and easily identified as winter or spring thaw.    We have a very old photo, mounted on a splintered wooden board, nailed into a frame, of a rail road wreck  that came from Aunt Marie; it shows the old steamer train well off the track in the snow.  Jerry has it hanging near his evening chair downstairs; it won't scan as is and I have not been able to get a good photo of it to share here, but we think it is the same event.  We recall Aunt Marie saying that Pa (Charlie) picked up extra money when there was something to be hauled.  Notice the  gentleman standing off to the  left side  dressed with hat, that same man and others dressed like that are present in the train wreck photo.   He appears to be some sort of official overseeing the process. 


Charlie Behrndt beside the Model T appx 1923
 This photo shows Charlie dressed up beside the family auto, Model T. Reportedly the family  was not at all wealthy, but for  farmers of this time to have an auto seems somewhat on the prosperous end of things to me.  There is some speculation that the auto may have been a gift to Charlie when he and Esther married a dowry from her parents, the Wetchens.  The back of the photo and the suit Charlie is wearing (seen in other photos of the same day)  indicate it was taken at his parent's  50th anniversary,  in  1923. There's someone taking the photo, whose shadow appears in the left.  Jerry loves this photo and wants to have it enlarged and framed to hang in the relatives' gallery downstairs.

One last auto photo for this post shows Charlie's in laws, or Esther's parents, Dietrick and Louisa Wetchen coming or going in their automobile.  Aunt Marie's writing  on the top; they lived in the city--La Crosse and had come out to the farm to visit Esther and the girls.  Guessing again that this is in the 1920's but no later than 1925 because Dietrick died  August 1925.  None of the color selections that  abound now for vehicles  were available back then and really the designs show little variation, although the pair of greats  are going  top down!

This is my first Sepia Saturday post of 2011; to see  others' contributions to our international community, click on the title to this post above. 

17 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed these, Pat! The one with the horses is terrific - the perspective is so good.

    I know what you mean about not having anyone around to clear up some of the details - I'm not sure I will ever be able to piece together the mystery of my father's father.

    If you're on Facebook, look for me - just "Kat Mortensen" (it's a photo of my grandmother, I'm using just now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love pictures of ancestors in vintage autos. They always look so proud of their new-fangled possession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shots and great to have information to go with them. It is sad how the majority of photos in the world do not and will not have any reference point. And I still kick myself for not asking more questions, but so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all wonderful photos to have. As you said, it's a shame that you weren't shown them earlier when you would have been able to ask questions but they are still so good to have. They are real treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great working horses in the snow. I can't remember the last time I saw a horse working in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really were horseless carriages in those days, weren't they? Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great posts Pat! Any info on the camera used above? Thanks for your comments on our blog! We are now following you so beware of stalkers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the first photo you can see why a horse would be better than an automobile or truck. The road looks like a car from that time period could slide right down (or back down if it were headed up). A while ago I read L. M. Montgomery's journals and she recounted over and over the challenges of driving those early vehicles. All three of these are great photographs.

    As we all share our old family photos on Sepia Saturday I'm amazed at the variety of photos that have been taken over the years. I think the photo of the grands is really unusual and one that I would never have thought to take but which, if I had it of my own grands, I would certainly treasure. Well, I'd treasure all three of these photos! They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great response to the photograph on the call. And another great example of how family history can be fascinating to people outside the immediate family. Sepia Saturday at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed seeing these old family photos, Pat, and wish I had similar ones to share. I can understand your frustration at Jerry's mom too because my mother has old B&W photos of her and my dad (deceased) that I never saw until a year ago. It would have been nice to have seen them earlier and even to have them in a photo album. Instead she has them in photo envelopes. I managed to snag an old photo of my dad and his sister when they were all dressed up for a formal affair and may post it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. not to defend the lady but maybe she didn't deem these important and just forgot about these photographs. some people just don't care about such things. i did enjoy your post though.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed seeing your photographs Pat, and like you, I think how neat it would have been to have the subjects identified in your mother in law's old photos. Really like that Model T pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i especially like the horse photo. at least she didn't toss the photos out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how cool your sepia photos are, and the photo with the shadow, priceless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michael & Hanne, no idea about the camera used backthen...glad to have you aboard. I tried to send an email but it would not go through...
    Karen I like that shadow too, so distinctive. Back then they didn't even think or concern themselves over such things we might avoid today

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if the tops really did nothing for warmth and so they didn't bother. It was like riding in a wagon pulled by horse except they did have a windshield. It was a big improvement. I like all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love these photos! My mom, who sounds a lot like Jerry's mother at least gave me all her old photos. I remember thinking then, even though I was much younger, why she had no sentimental value of anything. I am at least glad she didn't toss them.
    I think the car would be wonderful framed up, I have an old photo of a couple standing next to an old Model A or T, not sure, no one in the family is sure who they are but I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete