Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, November 12, 2010

Sepia Saturday,week 49 Stella Janosky (Click here to go to other posts of Sepia 49)

I had so  many choices for my return to  Sepia Saturday that it was difficult to choose until something happened that  fellow genealogists will appreciate and that brought me to feature Stella Janosky (1910--1987). I had a contact from a previously unknown cousin, on the Janosky side so began to try to update some of that information.   Stella was  a  daughter of my Grand/Great Aunt Mary and Uncle Tom Janosky, a very close cousin to Mom and Aunt Virginia (Jinx), Jinx' best friend too for a long time.  Aunt Mary was an Ostroski (Ostrowski) my grandma Rose's sister,  I introduced her on Sepia Week  18; that sure seems a long time ago now, but it was only April    http://patonlinenewtime.blogspot.com/2010/04/sepia-saturday-week-18-ostrowski.html

Stella  was the first daughter and third child born to Mary and Tommy Janosky.   She never married, the only one of her eight  brothers and sisters to remain single, she lived at home with Mom and Dad all her life.   Here is Stella  with her suster Josephine who married a Mentecky.  I am guessing that this photo dated about 1930 when Stella was 20 and Josephine was 18.  It is the hairstyles that make me think that and the dresses.  Mom's handwriting is on the photo but I found this at my Uncle Carl's home this trip.  Don't know how  he got it, but being Mom's brother and also a cousin to the  Janosky girls it's explainable.  I wonder if my Uncle Carl was not going to sketch these cousins as he was an artist and I found a portfolio of  his sketches done after Worlkd War II.  There were none of these girls, but many others.    I love this photo and the  gold leaf scroll work bordering it.  Wish Mom had not written across it, but at least this identifies who they are.  We saw some of Stella with the cousins back on the July  4th photos http://patonlinenewtime.blogspot.com/2010/07/fourth-of-july-sepia-saturday-week-30.html

 Stella and my aunt Jinx were very close and traveled around together.  They did have their spats off and on though, kind of the way sisters do.  Stella was especially fond of my grandma, too.  I remember seeing Stella in church and she would always  flutter a handkerchief towards us during mass to acknowledge that she saw us.  This next photo is about 1941  of Stella and my Aunt Virginia.  They both worked at Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company and this  5" x 7" photo is sealed in a 1 inch thick hunk of gorgeous cut beveled  glass.  I have never seen anything else like glass encased photo  among the family collection and I wonder if they got a discount at the glass factory to do this?  Kind of unusual, don't  you think. 

Stella and Virginia traveled to Milwaukie to visit their aunt Francie Mroz and family together and somewhere there are many of those photos, to be scanned.  These two cousins were the single ones for a long time until Virginia married John in  the  late 50's.  That put an end to their days together, I know. 
Last but not least, here is myself, approximately January--March  1945,   a balmy day  by the  dresses without coats although I am bundled up.  Stella is  holding me, with Mom standing alongside her.    They said she always volunteered to watch me, but  my Grandma never needed the help. 
.  

The last photo is just of Stella and me. I look a bit worried about something.  I lost track of Stella as I grew up seeing less and less of her, and of course by my teen years  I was not   much for family visits other than those that were mandatory.  I had other things to do as a teenager.   By the time Stella died I was in California and I do not recall  any of the details about her death.   I wonder  now about her life, was she satisfied to  be the maiden aunt to so many?   Was she ahead of her time?  


As always click on the title to this post above or here to link to the others who are sharing this week 49 on the Sepia Saturday link.  http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2010/11/sepia-saturday-week-49.html

11 comments:

  1. What a great post to learn about Stella. Fun to see another photo of Jinx, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, it is wonderful that you have all of these wonderful old photos and that you are making a record of them through your blogging. When I see photos like these, they always look a little familiar to me - the clothes, the hair styles, etc. look like some I have stashed away. I should bring mine out and try to leave some family history for my children and grandchildren. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Stella with us today! I have an aunt, the only one of my paternal grandparents who never married - took care of Grandma during her last illness and cared for Grandpa for the next 30 years. I too wondered if she was content with her life. I think she was. Perhaps Stella was too. I love browsing through the flowers on your sidebar when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat, I enjoy your posts and especially seeing the family photos even though all the people are unknown to me. It's a nice way to remember your family history - thanks for sharing once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, you were a cute baby. Ho wonderful that you have pictures of Stella and pictures of her with you. I am also curious about what it was like to NOT get married then. Now it's not such a big deal, but I wonder how different it was then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it´s nice with old photos, especially when you know who it is.

    My sunset was originally color, or mostly just grey. Looked better in sepia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always so many questions unanswered in the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of the three daughters my greatgrandmother had, only my grandmother married. There were no sons. I knew them when I was young but have no idea if they were happy or sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing all of your photos and reading about Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to have you back on Sepia Saturday and with some more pictures of your ancestors. I remember one or two of the names from previous posts - its always fascinating to add extra bits of information to faces in photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the spinster of the family!! nowadays, such a thing wouldn't arouse the curiosity of no one, but back then?
    oh well!!...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete