Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, October 15, 2010

Off WE Go

I don't know  why the Air Force theme song comes to mind as I post of our departure tomorrow for PA where we have Uncle's home to winterize and things to do for him.  Sounds like he  is doing good with his therapy in the skilled facility and will be released  in about a week or less to the personal care  assisted facility where he has made his home for over a year now. 

It's always something.  And as usual I am in a tizzie here trying to select clothing and pack up the motor home.  Though I am done except for tomorrow morning when it's shower and take out my  toiletries and roll on down the road.  Pondering what weather we might encounter over the next  few weeks keeps me adding and taking more clothing than necessary.  We seldom go anywhere where we "dress up" if anyone does that anymore at all, I wonder. Maybe on cruises.  But I am compelled to take more than my jeans & capris, some nicer slacks and tops will suffice.  I know  I have loaded excessive clothes again, but it can be warm, cool and or wet. I have started to journal what I wear on these trips and always have twice what I need.  I plan to use the journal to keep myself in better check in the future.  It helps some as I did put back a few outfits already this trip.  Which makes me wonder if I will ever get this packing lite down! 

Jerry just grabs some shirts,jeans, unders and he is ready in  a couple hours tops.  Meantime Pat is still pondering.  Which is why I worked out this morning, when I could have used the time to sort and pack.   I knew the stress would creep in and I can handle  that better with physical activity..

And if I need something the Pgh. Mills Mall is close with all the big  stores and selections. A good excuse to shop, something I do less and less of in retirement.  I, who had a personal shopper at Nordstroms and Macy's in my career days, have now descended to JCPenney, an occasional stop at Macy's, sometimes even Wal Mart but primarily just not shopping.  My casual retirement wardrobe has eliminated my desire to shop.  One good thing about PA is no sales tax on clothing, just like MN.  Of course we shop mostly across the Mississippi in WI where a  5 3/4% sales tax is on clothing,  so unless I go to Rochester or Minneapolis, I am accustomed to paying sales tax.  Shoes, that's the dilemma that wrapped this evening; how many to take and which ones.  I like to wear my sandals as long as I  can, so we shall see. 

I hope we get some all around down time enjoying  my New Ken cronies and are not just in to and fro mode. We will be spending our 43 anniversary in PA so  that  evening may be a nice time to gather and celebrate.  Our RV spot awaits us at Mt. Top RV in Tarentum. Ed and Fran, the owners have  become like cousins as we have stayed there every PA trip.  Nice people.  And the only place in the area. 

Off the keyboard now and to peruse my "to read" bookshelf for another book to take along.  Right now I am in the midst of  a historical novel,  "Andrew Jackson" by Byrd, but I'll finish that in a few evenings and  will need another book for the trip.  Next post may be in PA or if I get very ambitious on the road.  Mostly any interesting  quirks will show up on my Facebook page. 

2 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for finding my blog and commenting. I am now following you. I have just spent some time meandering through your blog. Your flowers are amazing; I adore teddy bears; my husband and I travel a lot but have not yet retired...hopefully soon. We live in Pennsylvania too but near Philly. I lost my brother to murder and my husband lost his son to suicide. After going through your postings I really felt like I wanted to give you a really big (((HUG))). Have a safe tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Pat. I just caught up a bit on blog reading. I DO know what you mean about finding it hard to pack for a trip and like you I can never decide and either take too much or forget something. Grenville on the other hand is like Jerry and can just count out some clothes and be ready to go in no time. Also we tend to to not dress up now that we are retired. Shopping holds no big excitement, thrift stores are favorite haunts. Have a safe trip to PA. Hope all turns out well and your uncle's house gets set for winter. Enjoy your visit with friends too.

    ReplyDelete