Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, August 27, 2010

Continued-other half early episodes Sepia Saturday Week 38 (Click here to go to the Sepia Site)

May 1941 Jerry (held by Grandma) cousins gather at the farm
This week I'll share a few more photos of husband's early days starting with this first photo taken May 1941 with cousins and his  maternal grandparents farm on one of their anniversaries.  This is his beloved Grampa Charlie and Grandma Esther Behrndt who were farmers and who actually raised him and his sister,Dianne, while his mother who was then divorced, worked and socialized, ahem.  Jerry's Aunt Marie gave me this photo several years ago and I framed it for Jerry's anniversary present on our anniversary that year; he loves it because he had no other photo of both grandparents.  The two boys on either side on the bikes are Alden on left  and Clifford (on right) Cook, Aunt Marie & Uncle Tommy's sons.  Aunt Marie said, when the Ender cousins, (children of Aunt Ruth and Uncle Leonard) Don and Lavonne seated on the ground with LaVonne holding Dianne, came they brought their bicycles.  Well her boys, who didn't have such expensive conveniences, always commandeered their  cousins' bikes and would not give them up until it was time to leave.  Notice the difference in the dress between Don and Lavonne, the city kids, and their country cousins in dungarees and hand me downs.  Marie also laughed saying, "see Jerry with Grandma hugging him, he really was her favorite child."  He is almost four years old in this photo.  The oldest cousin, the girl standing next to Grandma is Jeanette Wuest, Aunt Myrtle's daughter from her first marriage.  Jerry and Jeanette were very close and over the years when we came to MN to visit, that closeness was evident; she was kind of  like his big sis.  I liked her a lot too and through Jeanette, I learned a lot about the family and his mother's insanity.  We both still miss Jeanette who died in 1991.  Whenever we have visitors either family of friends now in MN, Jerry takes them up the hill to where the  farm was; all that acreage was sold off long ago and the old home gone, but a windmill still stands that his Granpa Charlie built and used.  When the grandparents first moved to town, Aunt Marie and Uncle Tommy took over the farming, but when it became too much for them the land was sold.  Jerry has lots of roots there where he had many happy days. 

As usual click on the title to get to the  hosted Sepia Saturday site.  Once there you can click on any of the individual posts. 

11 comments:

  1. What a great photo and how wonderful that you know who everybody is. I have old family photos that I am not sure about who some of the people are. I wish we had made a record of "who was who" before everyone who would know was gone. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always you highlight the interest in what, in itself is a fascinating photograph, so well. So many of thee old photographs from our American contributors feature a ubiquitous barn in the background which says so much about your history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how they are on their bikes in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, I see I said I would share a few, but only had energy for one....ahh there's always another week in Sepia land...Those bikes, Aunt Marie felt were kind of a problem when the city kids came to the farm, so she never made her boys give them back and the cousins didn't seem to mind sharing. I can still hear her telling me about this. And yes, I am so glad we know who all these folks are/were. I have so many unidentified in other photos and no one to ask..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat, such a nice shot with the grandchildren. I am sure the kids enjoyed their visits to the farm, I know I did!I appreciate how you describe the individuals and the situations.It really makes the picture come alive.
    I also love your roses and garden pictures.
    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful to read about the family in the photo..the granny looks loving , thank goodness for the children's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is certainly a photograph to cherish, with grandparents and grandchildren together, and having everyone in one place at the same time, and ALL are looking at the camera! Sweet photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful photo, I love it how all of the children have huddled in around their grandparents. Photos like this one are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Pat I see our stories are similar this week. The little girl in the front looks just like my little sister at that age. My beloved sister I lost at age 32. I love to go to my grandparents old home, not the one in my post, but the one I used to visit as a child. The house is gone, and the view is breathtaking from the top of the hill. I will have to get some pics of that. It was called 'Lone Oak Farm' the lone oak is still there and the cellar which was one of my favorite places. Loved your story.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can remember proudly owning a tricycle - but nowhere as grand as a farm to ride it on...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this picture. Grandmother looks like a happy hen with a big brood of chicks.

    ReplyDelete