Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, April 30, 2010

Bill Austin SEPIA SATURDAY Week 21 Click here to link to others' posts

Bill Austin 1889-1956 


This is my Great Uncle Bill, another Ostrowski, my grandmother Rose’s brother and his wife, Louise in 1944.Check out his white shoes and she in heels. Sometime early in his life as happened all too often in those times Bill may have experienced discrimination toward the Polish because he changed his last name to Austin. Not only that he changed his first name from Walter F to William, no middle name or initial. I can only imagine what went through his head to do this but surely wish I knew the story to share here. Maybe it was just as simple as a wish to fully assimilate—as far as he was concerned he was American. Maybe the Polish last name did not match is idea of being an American. As if I do not have enough to deal with in my genealogy with the changing of the spelling of Ostrowski, Uncle Bill had to go further.

He was born to Frank Ostroski and his second wife, Frances Swartz in Detroit Michigan according to my research. But Frank and Frances moved on to the mines of PA and there they settled; Bill lived in the New Kensington, PA area all his life.

Well my grandma Rose did not care if changed his name to “Yehudi” as she would say; he was her brother and that was that, though she thought it was very silly. When I was learning to spell, I asked her if the name change was because Ostrowski was just too hard to spell , to which she said that Uncle Bill was educated and could read, write and spell. I do not know what schools he attended, or how far he went in school, but she recalled he was the smartest boy in the family. I remember going to visit with my grandmother and my Aunt Virginia to the Anderson St. house where Bill and his wife Louise lived all their life and where she stayed after his death. I was fascinated with that area of our town known as Parnassus, and I imagined that Parnassus was a mythical name. Bill and Louise had no children and so far I do not know Louise’s maiden name. I know that she was my godmother, so identified on my Baptismal Certificate.

I enjoyed our visits to Uncle Bill and Aunt Louise because she always made fresh cold lemonade or freshly squeezed orange juice. My Grandmother would tell her not to bother that we only had a short time to spend, but that was Louise’s hospitality. Louise always had glasses being iced in the refrigerator, so they would be cold; this fascinated me, something no one else did. And more remarkable, Louise lined the glass rims with sugar and served proudly to each of us, even me the kid with gorgeous linen and crochet coasters. Mostly grandma made sure that Bill knew about family events, so anytime anyone had a new addition to the family, a baptism, a confirmation, a graduation whatever, my grandma would visit Bill. I never understood why she didn’t just call him on the phone, but suppose that was her way of being sure that her brother heard the news and would attend the upcoming event. I don’t recall him coming to many of the family gatherings or if he did it was just brief. Perhaps the others were not pleased with his Americanization attempt; my family were all proud of their Polishness.

I found his WWII draft card on ancestry.com showng his residence as the Anderson Street address. At that time he was still using the name Walter Ostrowski. But I learned something else from that. I have mentioned elsewhere on this blog that I grew up very close with my grandmother, she and I went to the movies every Sunday. In our small town which thrived in the days of the steel mills and the Alcoa Plant, there were three movie theaters. And some Sunday’s she and I would go to two of the theaters.   But we always went to the Liberty first, sometimes they were not showing a movie I preferred, I really liked cowboys and Indians in Technicolor so we had to take in one of those. I found this clipping about Uncle Bill in my grandma’s collection which shows that was his employment; evidently he loaded the films and ran them. This was a newsclip which I love showing the old equipment.  It explains why we always went there first, no matter what was on. I imagine we got free passes. On his WWII draft card Warner Brothers is identified as the owner of the theater, formerly known as the Ritz. I’d thought our three theaters were independently owned. Interesting to learn that Warner Brothers owned theaters across the country and in our little town in PA. This is my limited information about Uncle Bill and Aunt Louise for our  21st week of Sepia posts.

9 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR SHARING UNCLE BILL AND AUNT LOUISE..THOSE WHITE SHOES WERE PROBABLY HIS PRIDE AND JOY.. THEY LOOK VERY NICE PEOPLE.SHE WAS VERY CARING WITH THE ORANGE JUICE AND LEMONADE.. ITS HARD TO LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY AND GO TO ANOTHER TO LIVE. BUT THEY LOOKS HAPPY.I WONDER WHY BILL CHANGED HIS NAME FROM WALTER?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Uncle Bill and Aunt Louise make an interesting historical tale. Your information might be limited, but what you know is wonderful.
    Sepia Saturday Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed, on the clipping, it reads Walter Austin. I guess, having changed his surname from Ostrowski to Austin, he later opted for William instead of Walter? I thought you were going to tell us that he worked in the mines. You must have been surprised to discover that he was, in fact, a projectionist.

    Fascinating post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Uncle Bill" has such a friendly sound. Everyone should have one. Sounds like yours fit the description well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changing his last name to avoid discrimination...not at all uncommon in those days! Would be interesting to know the story there! And you found his draft card on ancestry.com? You could be a commercial for them! :) Lovely post...I never tire of the old pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martin, Come to think of it I never knew what Uncle Bill did for a living and when I found this clipping it solved for me why we always went to that theater. I am sure if I'd known he was the man in that big area of the theater I would have asked to go in there and see what was what....Knowing about my incessant curiosity, perhaps my grandma didn't tell me everything! Indeed I had heard that he was not going to work in the mines and decided that as a very young guy; he lived by that decision. All I knew was he worked someplace where he dressed up in good clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those white shoes bring back memories. My maternal grandfather always wore white leather shoes from May until September. I can still see his big feet encased in those gleaming white shoes. He also changed his name ... from Steigerwald to Wall during the second world war, but changed it back again afterwards.

    Such an interesting, informative post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least he chose to change it rather the immigration people who changed them as they came into the harbor to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These "ordinary" stories do tell some extraordinary tales. I had never thought about the genealogical confusion that must result from name-changes : as if family history research wasn't complicated enough. But, I suspect, the harder it is the more we like it.

    ReplyDelete