Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, February 12, 2010

Sepia Saturday

I have just signed onto a new blog, Sepia Saturday which I discovered through Willow who BTW has set up  Magpie Tales to be unveiled here on February 16, Tuesday....But Sepia Saturday offers a place to share my  wonderful old photos and my  thoughts and meanderings about these.  "Launched by Alan Burnett and Kat Mortensen in 2009, Sepia Saturday provides bloggers with an opportunity to share their history through the medium of photographs. Historical photographs of any age or kind."   Just yesterday I posted copies of  newsclippings I had salvaged from 1959 of our Jr. HIgh School basketball team.  I am amazed that these survived all these years in my collection of photos, from PA to CA, in CA and finally back here to MN in retirement.   

So here we have the 1959 championship boys’ basketball team,  well girls sports were not sponsored back then as they are today pre-title IX ( the number may be off) and the rest. So we gals were loyal supporters of our team; we played girls basketball in gym class and that was the extent of it. I know I have always been a basketball fan but seeing these clippings cemented just how devoted a fan I was. And don’t forget if there was a sports team, there were the cheerleaders. I never had ambition to be a cheer leader and I would have been way too clumsy and uncoordinated anyway. Just as well, it allowed me to be busy as usual on the bleachers and around the area, visiting, being verbal, etc.  



Today I am in touch with some of these people through hometown connections and Facebook. It is a long way from Ridge Avenue Jr. High School. Our class moved to Ridge Ave which was the former high school after the new high school was built out the road. Ridge Ave Jr. High was much closer to my home than the old 4th Avenue School downtown where we went to 7th grade. I had forgotten that, but my friend Kathy Zabec reminded me of it in a conversation last year. It takes a cadre of old friends to retrieve long buried memories.

We were such busy kids, running up and down all the hills around New Kensington, PA. No one ever got a ride to or from school. Most families had only one car if that and Dad usually had it at work. We did wear out the soles of our shoes, which were then replaced if our feet had not grown. Every day in 7th grade, we ran that mile or more home and back to school for lunch. There was no school cafeteria and no one suggested carrying lunch to school. It had to be at least a mile from our neighborhood up the hill to the downtown Fourth Ave. Jr. High, but we trekked that four times a day, to school, home for lunch, back to school, and home again in the afternoon, rain, snow, sleet or sunshine. It didn’t faze us. We just did it. No one talked to us about needing exercise and we had little problem with childhood obesity all the concern today. It was a different world.  I found this picture taken my last day of 6th grade, standing in the alley near our home, notice the hill behind me.  I remember looking so forward to junior high.  I don't remember looking this dorky, but here we have it, my own handwriting across the bottom of the photo.  
 
So moving up the hill to Ridge Avenue for 8th and 9th grade with a school only 5 blocks from my home was a big benefit. It was easier to go home for lunch and I can remember even having time to eat leisurely and catch some of the TV soap operas if my grandma was at our house. She followed Guiding Light and Search for Tomorrow which had migrated from radio.

Today this old junior high after sitting empty for years has been leveled and renovated into lovely senior housing. I wonder if any of my school friends will eventually live there.  I will have to take a photo of it the next trip back home, then and now.  I heard they sold the bricks from the old school.  Some of my friends bought those.  Think about it how would you like to move into your old junior high school in your real senior years!


12 comments:

  1. Great post. Welcome to Sepia Saturday and thanks so much for sharing your images and your memories. Strangely enough, my old Junior School over here in Yorkshire in the UK had just been turned into retirement flats and I was only thinking a few weeks ago what it would be like to move back to the building I almost started life out in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought back memories of my own walk to school, long before the 'school run' was invented. I can't remember any of my friends being dropped off or picked up by their parents.

    Nice photographs and, if it's any consolation, I don't think you look dorky at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat invited me over for this and I'll be on Magpie Tales, as well...

    Facebook has been a boon to connecting with old family and friends, right you are!

    And not suprising these clippings did survive. I'm still going through boxes and finding at how well things are preserved.

    And good thing the school wasn't any farther, yes? One of mine wasn' as far and I know the exercise did me good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos remind me of some early 50s pictures of my parents, especially the basketball team pic. Lovely post of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and clippings!

    I remember trudging home from school for lunch. My wife is a teacher and she tells me now almost none of the children go home for lunch.

    How times have changed!

    But at least girls sports are getting the respect they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Pat! I'm so glad you joined our Saturday group! What fun memories you have of jr. high. Loved the team picture and you supportive girls! I went to a small private school where there was only enough money for boy's sports. Lovely old photos...I enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I really enjoyed your reminiscenses and you reminded me of my own grandmother, who followed, "Edge of Night" and "Another World" because (she said) "They had no sex or violence"!

    I was looking for your name in the picture of the girls, but didn't see it. You were just an avid fan.

    So nice to have that photo from the last day of school. It's a really good picture.

    Glad to have you on board!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am jazzed tohave viewers leaving comments! And jazzed to be linked to others so I can read their stories....thanks to Willow:)
    I do not know why my photo of the two of us does not show up; it is on the blog aside at bottom

    Today I talked to Kathy Z(my first friend way back in the 'hood) who retired as a teacher in PA. She said today if you mentioned that kids would have to walk two blocks, you would be set afire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the pic of you waving is absolutely charming. And I love the detail of how you snuck in a bit of soap opera before returning to school!ecliess

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is an amazing thought to consider: living in one's old high school as an elderly person! For myself, I think I'd pass! Thanks for the great photos & history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photo of the school with that cool car in front is just great! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome aboard to Sepia Saturday. The number of members has become very large since I join. I am from Iowa and find you blog so interesting. My heart breaks when I see your lost son. I hope life is still good for you anyway. Loved the old basketball shots.

    ReplyDelete