Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, January 29, 2010

Edgar A Guest Poem "Fellowship of Books"

While downloading photos I was perusing an old Ideals magazine and ran across this poem by Edgar A. Guest.  He was known as the poet of the people for some time and was syndicated in over  300 newspapers in the early 1900's...Kind of reminds me of  something that Tom's father could have written.

I was up at the Library today pestering Lavonne, our librarian to have application copies available of our 2010 essay contest for senior high students who live in this county.  She being  the great gal she is, said, even better she'd get it onto their website!  I always enjoy my time at the library, but as you know I do not check out the books, because i have the urge to always write in my books and the library does not appreciate that.  I am on the friends of the Library organization and  a good  supporter of  the efforts.   

Every time I am there I  fondly gaze at the desk where  still sits Tom's father's  poem...  But enough,  here is 

The Fellowship of Books

I care not who the man may be,
Nor how his tasks may fret him,
Nor where he fares, nor how his cares,
And troubles may beset him,
If books have won the love of him,
Whatever fortune hands him,
He'll always own,, when he's alone,
A friend who understands him.

Though other friends my come and go,
And some may stoop to treason,
His books remain through loss or gain,
And season after season
The faithful friends for every mood,
His joy and sorrow sharing,
For old times sake, they'll lighter make
The burdens he is bearing.

Oh he has counsel at his side,
And wisdom for his duty,
And laughter gay for hours of play,
And tenderness and beauty,
And fellowship divinely rare,
True friends who never doubt him
Unchanging love and God above
Who keeps good books about him.


1 comment: