Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Still Branson 12-3

Yesterday, Wednesday,  I found the neatest women's botique, Dressin' Gaudy!  All things glitz and bling.  I passed up all the costume jewelry easily because of my accumulation at home, but  I did buy two tops with sequins that I can wear most anywhere.  I asked if they have a website and unfortunately they do not but have been in business in Branson for  nearly 20 years.  Although the crowds are small here now, the shop was busy with women, many older than me buying and browsing.  Jackets were paired with tops and skirts and jewelry to give shoppers ideas for the entire ensemble.   Clever marketing strategy because it works.  I saw many women buying the entire outfit from necklace to purse and all else!  I'd noticed this shop on the Branson Info Mercial TV channel that we can pick up here in the RV park.  Could not remember where it was but yesterday driving around looking for a post office, which was in a bank, I spotted it in the same center.

That is another strange thing about Branson--we have not seen a single post office! I had some postcards to mail.  We have seen mail boxes, just no post offices.   I inquired in the Stone Hedge Winery where we'd stopped so I could pick up some Missouri wine.  I was sure surprised when the woman said to go to the bank which had a teller counter set up as a post office.  Bank tellers also worked the post office window.  That was something I have never seen anyplace.  Private sector employees taking over the post office?  I bet those tellers wish they had the UPS benefits!  Earlier we had noticed several banks with flags outside and thought those were post offices but as we drove by we noticed they were banks.  Maybe they too had post offices inside thier banks.

We drove all over yesterday to see the scenery.  It is lovely here but so many of the hillsides have been carved out into making new  roads.  Lots of development  going on,.  Hope it does not overtake the Ozark setting and become like Lake Tahoe, over commercialized.  Table Lake Mt. and the Lake were gorgeous.  But lots of condos  going up; big places many many stories high.  We also checked out other RV parks and likely we would use ABC next Branson trip.  Shenanigans, where we are is ok, peaceful, but very tight spaces.  If we wanted to we could not put ot the awning on our motor home.  There are few of us here this time of year.  Someone really used imagination and planning to carve these spots out of the hillside!

The Dixie Stampede last night was quite an experience.  At the pre show we met Curt, a reitred Merced, CA fireman who will be leaving CA too.  He'd been in TN & most recently in Arkansas helping a sick friend.  He's on his way back to CA to wrap things up before moving out.  We  talked about the decline of CA.  He is a rare breed, a CA native, raised in Castro Valley and  lived in Merced & Atwater as a fire captain.  Newly divorced.  His ex-wife lives in Lincoln.  He said we were fortunate to get out when we did to which we couldn't have agreed more!

The Dolly Parton Stampede show was super.  It was the first venue we have attended that  was full, sold out.  Much to see and absorb, with all the horses, pig races by some cute little pot bellieds, miniature horse races, trick riding,Skeeter the clown  and more.  The nativity was beyond-beyond.  I have seen and enjoyed many live nativity portrayals, but this one took the cake!  Live camels carried the Magi into the manger setting.  Shepherds herded in real flocks of many many sheep.  It was magnificent.  An angel descended from the ceiling and at the end a white homing pigeon released from somewhere flew into the angel's outstretched hands while Alleluias played.  Very touching.  Very Christian. 

However this was a dinner show and as we were warned there was plenty of food, all delicious.  BUT no forks or knives were provided.  All eating was to be done with fingers.  We were seated next to a couple from Okibijiwe (sp?) Iowa.  She and I looked for our soup spoons as our  bowls were filled with a scrumptious creamy soup.  Huh?  No one had any utensils.  Well, we could drink that from the  bowls, just not  all of it.  Delicious cheesy biscuit reminiscent of what Red Lobster serves.  No problem eating that with our fingers.  Next came a full rotisserie chicken to each one of us.  Now we were really puzzled. 

The servers each carried huge trays and placed the food on our plates.  It was very well done as our food arrived plenty hot!  We were still looking for our forks!  The emcee invited us to dig in, use your fingers. Dixie style!  I could not believe this!    We were served more food, a slice of pork tenderloin, a half huge  potato slatered in butter, an ear of corn on the cob.  I just did not like pulling that chicken apart with my fingers.  Luckily I had some  clean wipes in my purse.  Jerry was not at all happy about this either.  But what to do, dig in! 

I should not have been so apalled because all my life I had to be reminded to keep my fingers out of my food.  As a kid growing up, I was always being swatted to keep my fingers out of my food.  A few years back inPA I was eating with my Aunt Jinx when she reached over and swatted my fingers which had found their way onto something on my plate!  I don't even realize when I do this. Jinx commented, "Patty, you always did pick around with your fingers!  You never did out grow that bad habit! I thought by now you woudl not have your fingers poking around your food!"  Well I am quite proper eating out, etc, but there are just times when these fingers go for something! But to eat an entire meal without any utensils!   Nah, that's too okie for me.   Besides we have okie friends and I have  never seen them gnaw into food without utensils, and they all set a nice table with knives, forks, and spoons.  Jerry said for the price they could have given us platic at least.  I suppose this is easier and less mess for the crew. Less danger of anything making its way into the arena.  We were in front row seats and  close enough to touch the horses if we stood up.   It was all efficiently served. Just this morning, Jerry noticed that the envelope with our tickets said, Come prepared to eat with your fingers, Dixie Stampede style."  He said he's have taken his fold up multi purpose all in one  tool with him ,had he read that ahead of time. 

 Plenty of coffee, Pepsi, tea, water to drink.  That caused me concern, how would I get out of such a long table.  It is theater seating with rails and long tables.  Maybe 20 some people, no room to get out.  As we were coming in I remarked to Jerry, "Now just what will I do if I have to go to the bathroom?"  The couple from Iowa heard me and said, "we can move down so you can sit on this end."  Wasn't that nice!  Here  in the Midwest people are so accommodating.

Dessert was a scrumptious apple turnover, flaky melt in the mouth crust and full of apples. That was easy to eat by hand.  Most of us had take out bags, except Jerry who managed to pack away his meal.  When our server came by for our dessert plates, she commented, "well you didn't eat all your food but you sure did that dessert."  It was a one time experience, glad we did it, but not one to repeat.    

We ate breakfast this morning at the Plantation restaurant, upp the hill.  A good buffet spread which will keep us going all day.  This afternoon is the 12 Irish Tenors show.  I do not have time now to proof or spell scheck,  so will post this and edit way later. 

We are enjoying our stay and loving Branson.  A clean place.  Many elderly people are here by the busloads.

No comments:

Post a Comment