Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

First Day out around Branson



We arrived yesterday afternoon at the Shenanigan's RV Park.  It is lovely driving into Branson.  Although this is reportedly 3 blocks from the strip, we walked yesterday and it is up some very steep hills..quite a trek that we really don't care to repeat.  Even as athletic (?) as we are, nope.  There are cabs and shuttles, too but after considering all options, we want a car to come and go as we like.  Spoiled that way.  "Should have towed," Jerry remarked.  Oh well we knew we could rent  and so called Enterprise today for a rental. First question after where we were staying so they could pick us up, "are you a veteran?" "Yes, my husband is." "Well, mam that entitles you to another 5% discount on the rental." Branson is BIG on veterans....Very big, places welcoming vets all over. We had a 10% discount from the RV park as well as 10% Good Sam...on the rental which we will keep till Saturday AM. Enterprise accepted all discounts where most places will only give one discount. Hooray for Branson hospitality. We are driving a Hyundai (sp?) Elan....shudder.  It will be fine for these  4 days.


I learned today when I went to pick up our tickets for the Dolly Parton Christmas Stampede that the show includes dinner. In fact the cordial young lady at the box office told me, "Y'all come hungry now...there is a 4 course meal served during the show. It starts with a choice of soup, then three salads, chicken, beef and vegetables, potatoes grits and gravy, and pie and cake for dessert And we give you choice of coffee or sweet tea too.!" I thanked her for warning me as I didn't expect we'd be fed. The place is huge and we will take a photo of the outside tomorrow when we have the bigger camera with us. We walked along and saw the horses in the stables for what seemed like a mile outside. Dolly P is doing well--inside it says there is a Dolly Stampede home in Myrtle Beach, SC too...these in addition to her own Dollywood in the Smokie Mts. So our two tickets for $89.26 including our discount coupon from the RV park are quite a deal==the pre-show starts at 4:15, dinner show at 5:30. Will report on it Thursday but expect it to be spectacular. No photo taking allowed inside and of course they have their own gift shop.

Prices are very good here in Branson. We ate lunch to be our big meal today at Sadie's Sideboard, a bar-b-que buffet. We had a two for one coupon from the RV park so total for both was $14 including tip. Home made soups, salad bar and smorgasbord spread including pork ribs, sauerkraut and sausage, chicken livers, fried chicken, catfish, mashed potatoes, gravies (white and dark), macaroni and cheese,stuffings cornbread and sausage bread (I tried a dip of both), fried okra, carrots, green beans, baked beans, and more. I loved the okra and chicken and chicken livers. Jerry feasted on ribs, livers, chicken, potatoes, beans,and more. I had a small salad from the salad bar which he passed up. They had scrumptious pickled beets, one of my favorites, and all the greens, veggies, pastas, pickled okra, which I also sampled, jello's & more. Then they had a dessert table too with steamers of 4 cobblers--peach, cherry, apple, blackberry and chocolate cakes. We each had some cobbler, cherry for me, berry and apple for Jerry. We waddled out of Sadie's to the rental car and cruised more of Branson. As much as we try we just can't pack much away at those buffets. I find that even regular order off the menu restaurants serve too much food for me.

Then we spotted the Veterans' Museum. We spent several hours in there. That leaves tomorrow afternoon open as we'd planned to spend Wednesday there. It is a private museum and I just cannot say enough about it! $29 admission for veteran (Jerry) & spouse. (Includes veteran discount)

No government funds used in anyway or received to this museum. In the entry is a lifesize bronze statue of 3 soldiers in combat gear. Ten halls dedicated to soldiers and our armed forces beginning with WWI and through Iraq  now Afghanistan.  Numerous artifacts and  all sorts of exhibits. That 70 foot long statute of 50 life size soldiers in one of the WWII rooms, took my breath away when I stepped into that room.  Even though I knew about it, it is magnificent.  I was teary eyed when I looked at that massive wall with the names of 400,000 killed in WWII. I found my dad's name right away, still teary. You'd think I'd be over this after 65 years!

I took some pictures which I have not yet downloaded and will wait till we get home. The exhibits of uniforms and memorabilia donated by people from all over are interesting. There is a write up about each individual. There is one window dedicated to George Herbert Bush and his days as a Navy pilot and the bronze model bust which was the first cast for the original now in his presidential library. I was astounded when I saw the exhibit of the "underaged" in WWII 14 and 15 year olds (from Nebraska, Illinois, Kansas,) who lied about their age and went to defend this country. I keep learning new things about WWII as much as I've read, there is always more. By comparison we have cowards in this country who stick their head in the sand rather than enlist, they look the other way and have no sense of patriotism or duty. They are there for a handout and demand student grants though so they can go to college! What a different world. Not better! My soapbox please! Jerry remarked that there was not as much on the Korean War. The Vietnam War hall is bigger. By far WWII has the most halls. Men and women have contributed part or all of their collections. An array of uniforms, medals, documents, photots, etc. Many rifles, guns, weapons of all kinds. Even a room of German exhibits, Nazi uniforms, Japanese and Russian pilots uniforms, medical equipment, and more. The very last room exhibits photos of Arlington and foreign cemeteries where our soldiers are buried and graves memorialized--France, Philippines,, In the center is a big wooden box with a folded flag It is one of two surviving boxes in which the bodies of those killed in WWII were shipped home. Gulp and a few more tears.

One observation I had among many--the uniforms of the Americans are tiny! We had lots of small men and women in the services in WWI & WWII. The SS & Nazi uniforms are way bigger. Even their shoes are bigger. I know there were all sizes, but for some reason we look little.

We both liked the exhibit of the WWII ski patrol soldier, hunched over,Eskimo like, white uniform to blend in snow. Jerry's Uncle Joe who received bronze stars and purple hearts from WWII did that as well as other things. Jerry looked at it and said, "Uncle Joe!"

I expected to find a book available about the museum in the gift shop but there were none. Fred Hoppe who sculpted the statutes and spear headed the museum effort deserves an award. The gift shop did have postcards of the statue and lots of t-shirts and hats for the services. I told Jerry we should buy one that says, "Dysfunctional veteran, leave me alone!" for my Uncle Carl..We did find a WWII Veteran cap for him, but I know he will tuck it away in his room. Sending it to him anyway.





I told the nice young man in the gift shop that I'd like to get a photo of my dad's name on the WWII wall but that I didn't think they would appreciate my moving the bench in that room and climbing on it. I am amazed at my self control. Of course, Jerry was near by and would not have permitted that eccentric act! My dad's name is near the top and three names in from the right side in that column. This young man didn't blink but said, "well I can help you with that, let me get the ladder." He went to a closet, returned with a ladder and back we went to the room with the walls of 400,000 names and statute. I pointed it out, he climbed up with my camera and snapped photo's for me. He said he is allowed to climb but I cannot!





On our way to the Dutton family show now.  So much to chose from here that it is really difficult to decide.  But I have made some selections.  A show a day shoudl be enogh, but we may be tempted to more!



My AWON group had a conference in Branson in 2002 and presented a plaque of appreciation to the museum for remembering our dads. I intend to send them some additional $$ next year. The WWII museum in New Orleans is magnificent but this is smaller scale and done with love in the effort. It was not busy in there as this is an off time for Branson but there were several folks wandering through. I think we spent the longest time in there. I would go back again. Not this trip but another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment