Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day memories 2009

This morning Jerry got up before me, nothing unusual about that, but he went out side and put up our flag. We had taken it down before we left for PA and so on this special day it had to come out just as the day light broke! If we had a horn reveilee would be heard! When I got up I went out to place the several small flags along the lawn and rose garden.


This is a day to remember and honor veterans. For me it is a very special day where I think about my dad, 2 Lt. Lewis S Ball, pilot on that fatal flight June 1944, gone forever with his combat crew 193. I never knew him but over the years from 2004 on especially I am learning more all the time. The suitcase of photos and documents at Mom's house afte she died opened up my world. I knew the story of his death and the disappearance of the plane. I had some records and momentos. But nothing like what was in Mom's house. I learned early on not to ask questions because no one would answer. And my Grandma Ball would cry whenever she saw me. I wouldn't ask her for the world because I did not want to see her cry. That's just the way it was then, they kept it all quiet. Unlike today when we have to know everybody's business down to the nitty gritty. Privacy is an unfamiliar concept in 2009, not so growing up in PA in the 50's and 60's.

My mother had little to no contact with my father's family even though we lived close in PA just across the river. Now I've been blessed with contact with cousins from that side. I have learned a bit more about the Ball family. In October in PA I had a visit after 47 years with my cousin Carol. What a joy that was though too brief, but a start. She told me about the War memorial in Harwick with my dad's name. I never knew it was there. Of course we went to see it! To my small dismay his name is misspelled. No not the Ball, that would take some doing. But the Lewis. Sure enough there it is "Louis Ball" NO! He was officially Lewis.  However I can understand how this went wrong. He went by Lou and or Louie. He signed cards and notes "Lou." But his official documents and Army Air Corp records have Lewis S. Ball. That was his official legal signature. 




So today, Veterans Day is for the men and women who serve this country in uniform. It is especially the day for those who gave their lives. Here is my dad, Dorr Field FL  1943.  I have that aviator cap. 




But back to another Veteran's Day story. My birthday is November 13, very close to Veterans Day. In my small town growing up there was always a big parade on Veterans Day. I loved parades and was always there front row with my grandma to watch. Uncle Carl who is now the last of the family at 92 and in assisted living with varying stages of dementia always marched in those parades. He was a fireman and marched with spit shined shoes and white gloves in a dress up uniform!   It must have been a dilemma for him  to choose  which group to march with because he too was a WWII vet, US Army, tank destroyers. But here he is the proud young fireman, Uncle Carl, New Kensington Fire Department.


Sometime in my very young years Uncle Carl told me that the parade "is for you, Patty. Your birthday is coming up!" So of all parades I especially loved the one on Veterans Day. After all, I believed it was all about me! How proud I was. Kind of a little queen standing there nodding to each and every group! Music and marching all for me!

I was such an innocent trusting child. But then back in our day we all were.  No TV's to distort our beliefs.  I believed in Santa Claus until I was nearly 12 or maybe I was 13. I loved my delusions even then! Or was it the wonderful make believe world. I was quite happy with my fairy tales! I was upset in grade school, maybe it was 3rd grade Brownies? Our Scout leader explained the true purpose of Veterans Day parades. I remember interrupting, "and don't forget the parade is for me! It's always before my birthday!" I was so proud. I'd even convinced some of my neighborhood playmates of the same thing. I'd told them, "don't forget to go to my parade tomorrow!" My parade, that's what I believed. And they believed it too.


This was an early and life long trait I have, the ability to convince people of what I believed to be true. They had no reason to doubt at 8-9 years old. Back to the Brownie meeting. I am sure I had heard of Veterans Day but to me that was an aside to my birthday parade. So I continued to interrupt and my friends supported me, nodding their heads in agreement, "yes, it's Patty's parade!" I don't think the scout leader knew what to do.

Somehow I came to the realization that maybe it was really not just for me. This did not seem to upset me, I still stood proudly. Maybe my young mind just adjusted better and made the case that it could be for the soldiers after all. Still, today here in 2009 as I approach my 65th birthday, I continue to enjoy Veterans' Day parades. Somewhere inside deep is that little girl, Patty, who knew it was all about her! I think she emerges and taps her feet to the marching music still! Proudly reviewing each passing group!

Veterans' Day--all about me and you too! It's about all of us in this country. It's about all those who sacrifice their lives for our freedoms. I pray we can keep all those freedoms. Celebrate and honor this Day and display the flag proudly!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment