Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Friday, November 27, 2009

3 Reads updates

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows was a delight.  It sounds repetitive of the many reviews but this  little book, Mary Annn's first and last was an absolute fun, joy read.   My cousin, Carol mentioned this and when we met  in Oct. I was just reading it and loving it.  This book is very different written as letters to and from Juliet, the  primary character and her friends and agent.   It's like reading someone's diary.  Because of the brevity of the letters, back and forth it is a book that can be read here and there,  pieces at a time without any loss to the story line.  It really deserves its multiple honors and selections of best book of the year.  The characters reminded me of different people I have known or know in my life.  Juliet Ashton is an author and  supposed to be  working on a new book but finds herself stuck for inspiration and then the letter arrives which  spins this story.  The tale is set in the aftermath of WWII and the Guernsey Channel Islands off the English coast.  The  horrors of WWII are  felt in the Nazi occupation of the island yet even  then there is something good abrew.   Actually this book demonstrates that good can and does come out of bad if we persevere.  The array of so many characters from Sydney, her agent to Dawsey Adams, a local islander and society member,  to Markham Reynolds, her avid suitor, Amelia Maugery, Isola Pribby, the eccentric who is one of my faves and so many more, each contribute something in their letters and notes to demonstrate the magnitude in ranges of human attributes.  I was already enjoying  this book and then on page 53,  I read, "Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books."   This  certainly is the former.  The final  lines in afterword, "We are transformed..into the literary society eachtime we pass a book along, each time we ask a question about it, each time we say, .."If you liked that, I bet you'd also like this."  Whenever we are willing to be delighted and share our delight as Mary Ann did, we are part of the ongoing story...."   A book to keep and to share! A booklover's must read!


Dewey by Vicki Myron.  This true story of Dewey Readmore Books, the small town library cat who touched the world.  It's written by Vicki the librarian who finds this  frozen kitten one wintry January morning in the book drop box at the Spenser Iowa library.  I have wanted to read this book for a while.  I'd bought it and sent it to Steve when it came out because the picture of Dewey on the cover resembled Spazmo, a cat he had.  Dewey takes over the library and the hearts of the patrons. His job becomes patron care from the youngest to the oldest to the staff.    I thoroughly enjoyed the  historical descriptions of Iowa, of Spenser and the way of life in that very small farming community.  After reading this book, I am more curious about Iowa, where we have friends, cousins  and visit frequently.  Even more,  I am  more appreciative of the Midwest  lifestyle.  Pg. 2, "..northwest Iowa is.. always changing.  Not in the way suburbs change as one chain restaurant replaces another or the way cities change as buildings crowd each other ever higher, but in the way the country changes, slowly, back and forth in a gentle motion that is always sliding forward, but never very fast...".    Dewey does become world famous and some of his visitors to Spenser are  comical and heart warming.  Dewey begins the morning with Vicki but is always at the door to greet people.   When he does escape  and disappears intown for a few days, my heart was in my throat reading along.  Maybe because I am an animal lover, I found his antics endearing.  I  liked the way Vicki personalized parts by including anecdotes of her life.  I thought she wove  that well into Dewey's  life.    One of my local friends whose book club read this mentioned that she did not enjoy that as much.  Over all, it is a well written book.  I am sure a movie will follow and I can't imagine where they will find a cat to portray Dewey!   Sadly as all animals, we outlive them, Dewey is gone, RIP, Dewey.   

A Killer Stitch by Maggie Sefton is a quick read.  This is the second in this series I have read and enjoyed as it is just a good clean mystery set in a knitting shop in fictitious Ft. Conner, Colorado.  Kelly Flynn continues her adventures as the newest transplant, now  happily  ensconsed with her online accounting business and learning to knit so well that she accomplishes a couple projects through the book.  It is  similar to the books by Diane Mott Williams which feature a catering business.  This  book includes instructions for knitting the cable knit scarf and the recipe for mint fudge.   The book has romance at a high level and  intrigue with out nasty 4 letter words.  Doubts are  conveyed about all the characters through the story,  making it unlikely to fathom the real culprit.  I will read more in the series, enjoyable and quick reading.     Reminds me of  my enjoyment of Nancy Drew  mysteries as a young girl.    

No comments:

Post a Comment