Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Thursday, September 17, 2009

History with a family of choice.






Our good long time friends from CA, Nevin and Alicia, who now live in NC spent a few days here on their way west. This was their second trip here and we have yet to make it to NC. We really enjoyed the visit. Lots of laughs, reminiscing, eating, drinking, laughing and showing them the local sites.

I got to thinking today that is what I miss the most about being relocated, the familiarity of our history. We do not live in the past but it is a strong link that pulls us together today. Even though most of my friends also relocated out of CA when we all retired, I ponder how it might have been had we all stayed. It is a difficult transition for me here in the MN, small town Midwest. No one who really knows me. I volunteer and belong to several organizations of interest to me, but it is not the same, the history is lacking. I've met only two professional retired women. There are few here where I can buzz by and say, "hey, let's go to ...the store, library, Starbucks.." Even those in the organizations have their own circle with them, the quilters, the Legion auxiliary, the church.

This is a place where people are born and raised for generations and never venture away from hearth and home. This limits their experiences and their judgement is very parochial; truly they do not know what they don't know! Just yesterday at Curves one of the gals asked, "wow, how did you get from PA where you were born and raised to CA?" Unheard of for them but easy to me, "marry young, big bad mistake and then stay in CA." "But what, you didn't go back home?" "No I did not want to." How could they understand my streak of independence, let alone my life story? True I do not share my story openly with many. It takes some time to build that bridge of trust and familiarity and that is what I miss. My bridges with so many.

But today while ironing, thinking about our visit with our friends, I was reminded that is what I miss--that long time connection, a history, with those who know us, those who know our history. People with whom we share a long time bond.

In CA life was different. So many of us lived away from our families so we bonded. We formed connections stronger than family, we did build our own family. People reached out to one another and somehow linked. We became a family of choice. We learned about each other. Here no one is interested, they think everyone is like them and they neither ask nor learn about anyone else. Maybe it's their "MN nice." But to me it is very cold. The culture has a heavy Scandinavian influence and perhaps that is the way that culture is, closed. At least so it seems to me.

This weekend is "Applefest" here in La Crescent. It's a weekend long celebration of the apple orchards that used to be that made this town the Apple Capital of the State. No more, but they cling to the past, their history, try to resurrect it and celebrate it. People return to their home base. These are people who have expanded their horizons and their experiences far beyond this tiny settlement. People return knowing more. While they enjoy their respite, do they long for their pasts? I think not. Tomorrow the Legion hosts an "Old timers meal" one where the old folks eat, congregate and greet. Except the old folks are here, they've remained. Jerry's mother goes to this event each year. She's 92 and wonders why she knows no one from the past! Don't laugh, she means it--but does not realize she has outlived everyone! She has outlived her history.

When I am in PA and with my long time school friends, it is not just a reliving of our past, our history but a reconnection of that link. We update and enjoy. That's what this weekend was. We did not wallow in the past as we caught up on our lives. But that bond of history from the past binds us. They moved to NC to follow their son & family. It would not have been their place of choice, but they too wanted out of CA. Nevin should have been the first one out the door, retired military and wanting to leave long before we did. It just didn't happen until their son moved.

Too bad CA lost us all, because we all share a history of a place where we enjoyed chosen families. I don't think that happens anyplace else in this country--maybe AZ when the snow birds congregate? I think about this. While I don't cling to the past, I miss that link.

No comments:

Post a Comment