Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Overwhelmed and under slept

Just when I think it's safe to go back in the water---oh wait that's sharks. I have been off blog for so long because I have been too darn tootin' busy. I thought I was retired but with estate work, power of attorney and trying to keep our heads above water here (there's the water again) I feel like I have a job. At least it feels like employment without the compensation, because I have little control over my time. Well, I can choose to not do something at the certain moment and wait another day but then it all piles up.

My friend Sandy, in CA, has cautioned me about time loss in retirement but even Sandy didn't tell me it could get this nutsy! She's frequently said, "everyone wants your time and it becomes very precious. Days fly and you wonder where they went or what happened." Time our elusive wave in the ocean. Everyone thinks you have all the time in the world when retired. HAH! I have so many projects pending--when can I get to them?

I keep thinking of water because I would love to be somewhere on a beach right now! It is wonderful to be back home after PA but so much to do. How can weeds in an untended garden grow over 5 feet high in 3 weeks? Sure would be great if cultivated plants did that! Thrived on neglect. We did not plant our vegetable garden this year because we expected to be traveling. Little did we know the travels would be back and forth to PA.

So I think headway is underway and instead it is the head lights of oncoming traffic. Something like that--the light at the end of the tunnel is oncoming train.

Well boo boo freakin' whoo--you get the picture. I am overwhelmed or at least feel that way these days. Have not yet completely unpacked the treasures we brought from PA. The antiques we shipped arrived safe and sound and were delivered by the same two young men who packed us up in PA. That surprised us and it was nice to see them. They sure work hard. We gave them a nice $$ tip when they left here.

Sunday Jerry took it upon himself to begin to unpack. I had mentioned that I could not find the gold flatware set I'd brought from my aunt's. I wasn't really looking for it, just curious. So his interpretation or attempt to help meant he unpacked a couple boxes of what nots and set them into my Grandma's hutch which we have downstairs. Well that was not helpful as I have certain ways of doing and displaying things. His design did not fit my design. I don't know why he does that because he surely would not want myself arranging things in his garage or shop. Oh but he thinks this is different because it's his house too. So Sunday which I'd wanted to be my leisure kick back and read the Sunday papers day, I had to rearrange and then unpack other things to keep him away from those boxes. It really ticked me off which he could not understand so we replayed our episode of Men are from Mars. He still does not understand why I did not just appreciate his help. And as another friend reminded me, "in 5 years what difference will it make?" None. In fact in 5 days it won't make a difference but it did at the moment.

I thought that I had a buyer for my aunt's home. That is until this evening when my realtor called about results from a home inspection report taken on by the potential buyer. I'd already negotiated down in price because I agreed to pay for 2% of the buyer's closing costs; at first they asked for 6%. I said no way. That means about a couple grand off our proceeds at 2% but I figured it was worth my being able o scratch this off the list of estate tasks. This is a biggee. Reportedly the buyer is a single woman who wants to close by September. Also suspect she is a first time home buyer with out cash down. But supposedly she has a loan secured and the house did come in appraised above our listing price. Well with tonight's demands she better find another house. I said if there was anything shown up in that inspection report it was tough. My same response to my realtor tonite. I hate being nickled and dimed. I hate bartering and negotiating. I am not a rug merchant! Well we have not yet been on the market and I know the house is a gem. So back to square one unless they concede they will fix the "radon" and some hokey business about the electric box, themselves. The electric box as Jerry explained is a higher level than what is needed. Jerry said tell them to go soak their heads. Water again! Home inspectors privately paid look for things to make their fees seem worthwhile. Well the woman now can continue to house hunt and my realtor better get to work selling.

The estate sale will be Saturday and I surely hope it goes well. Another estate task pending until.

Ahh I could get into a black mood and think I celebrated way too soon. But I must trust that if it is right it will be. I know I first turned down their offer when they did not come in full price and they came back two days later with , "OK.." Maybe it will be so again. Or here's a thought, they can take the fix it cost our of their commission, my realtor as Lister and the buyer's as seller! Realtors, maybe a step above used car salesmen!

So here I am at blog again--only it is far too late for me. I have not been sleeping very well off and on. I figure a good night sleep will come sooner or later. Usually I just lay in bed and rest but tonight I got up and came to the computer. Perhaps this is not a good thing because it tends to awaken me...awaken, heck it's already 1:37AM! I'm off and up to bed to lay there till these big brownish eyes close!

I'll count blessings--instead of sheep as the old song goes. First blessing, that I am retired because could not handle this if still in career mode; another, our health reports are good on both of us. Jerry's cardiologist check up went great with another clear for the year and "keep doing what you are doing." Another, Uncle Carl is amenable in assisted living even though he still thinks he should go home. Another, I signed up for Medicare effective in November...oh but I need to find out how my retirement system handles that. Another phone call I need to make...ahh even counting my blessings runs into tasks to be done!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure retirement can consume all of your time. I cannot even begin to understand the concept of retirement. :)

    Your weeds are that tall? My goodness! What healthy soil you must have.

    Best of luck to you selling your Aunt's home. Estate sales are always a little rough.

    ReplyDelete