Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Monday, August 31, 2009

Fiddling with the look of the blog and talking furniture



I could not take the pink blog layout any longer. Maybe it has something to do with the wonderful cool nip in our air. Fall doesn't seem to be pink to me, but golden, green, orange, brown! So my blog has returned to its prior dots. Just don't get too used to it. I'm not satisfied with the look; I liked the layout of the pink better. Will have to spend some time getting what suits me. This is just like when I move or rearrange a room and don't like what I've done.

I am proud of me because today I took a big load of old Ideals magazines and more books to the library. Do you remember Ideals? How I loved them, the poetry, the artwork, and the quaint old stories. But again, too many and taking up too much space. I do not look back through them so most are gone now. I don't know if it is even published any more and have not seen it is a long time. I kept several of the Ideals though for a resource or just to enjoy now and then. I pedaled them up town on my way to Curves, in the basket of my trike--it sure was heavy and made for slow going especially up the hill. But I did it! As I pedaled along in 2nd gear, I thought it might be quite a sight if the weight of all the books and items in the basket made me go down the street on the back tires, front one up in the air kind of like ET come home! That didn't happen and when I unloaded at the library it was much easier going!

I am starting to prepare for arrival of our good friends from CA who now live in NC. They are stopping by next week on their way to a reunion in Montana. This means baking and meal planning and cleaning just so. I love company but sometimes woek myself into a tizzy unnecessarily. Unfortunately another friend from CA is in Minneapolis the same weekend for a convention. I still have not figured how to be in 2 places at once so will miss seeing Janie. I'd asked her to make her plans to stay in MN after her convention instead of before but that did not work with her schedule, so we will not likely get together. Or maybe I can get to Minneapolis for a quick lunch with her one day.

Arrival of company means I have earnestly begun my fall cleaning frenzy. Saturday, I started by waxing all the kitchen cabinets. Now all the wood is ready and looks great. Thankfully, I only do this once a year! I love our wooden furniture, floors, woodwork, but I do not like the work=upkeep to maintain it at its best. Ah Martha Stewart only instructs doubt she does the work, why not me! Oh, I have no one to instruct! I minimize or conserve my efforts to an annual event, usually right before holidays start in November. I see the hutch will want unloading and polishing all the inside mirrors and glass shelves. Ahh well I have not done that in a couple years so it is time. But later for that. Jerry does help there by doing the glass--he thinks I cannot do it right and that is just fine with me. So I don't try to do such a good job that it lets him off the hook. In ways he reminds me of my now dead Aunt. She was very particular about how things were done and kept me off limits for certain things--washing windows was one. I made streaks and that was not acceptable. well go ahead, doesn't hurt my feelings!

Our guest bedroom is always ready but I will give it a real polishing too tomorrow. One more antique dresser resides there now from the massive set we brought from PA from my aunt's home. That's it in the photo along with one of the old clocks that Jerry inherited from my aunt. Jerry got those clocks because she remembered that I am not handy and that old watches/clocks don't have a continuous life around me. When I went to PA in 2005 to care for her when she had a cancer operation, she was vehement that I not touch the clocks nor try to wind them. "Just leave them alone, I'll do it when I'm up. You'll overwind them or do something." Well I am not mechanically inclined. So years back she told Jerry to be sure he took the clocks and to keep my fingers away from them. That's right up his alley because he has great admiration for old clocks or clocks anyway.


I look at the wonderful antiques we have and think how life is unfair. These antiques were accustomed to the best of care by dedicated servants in their heydey in the Irwin mansions in PA. Ahh, wouldn't it be grand if I had servants to maintain these as the Irwin family did. No wonder they owned all the exquisite furniture with the curlicue's, and intricacies. I hope my antiques do not look down their noses at me and my meager efforts and recall how things used to be. Furniture may have a soul but good it can't talk to compare! So for me I am thankful for these and keep myself busy with keeping the dust off and using a q-tip occasionally. One room a day, that's all I ask! And sometimes not even that!

No comments:

Post a Comment