Other blog dominating

Blogger insists on showing my posts and comments to others as my Books Blog, You can click on it to get here and vice versa....the Book blog is just that while this one, my first, original has miscellany

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Long John Winter

For obvious reasons I have not been wrting. Finally at the urging of friends and my psyche I will get back to my meanderings. Briefly the Jan 10, 2009 service for Steve in Auburn could not have been lovelier, other than if it had not had to be. We were blessed with a sunny, balmy day with warmth streaming through the lovely stained glass windows at Auburn Pioneer UMC. The music was beyond comforting, praising, outstanding. The songs, On Eagles Wings, Father I Place Into Your Hands, Be Not Afraid and You'll Never Walk Alone stole the show. Everyone commented and some asked if we had recorded it. Jerry said, "Hell no! Who wants to go through this more than once!" Pastor John delivered a eulogy as though he'd known Steve, just from briefly talking to us. The comments about Steve's cars brought lots of memories to his friends and laughter around the church, a good thing. The church was filled with friends and family; not all signed in but it was about 200 folks! Beyond our expectations. We were overwhelmed. So many of Steve's high school friends came, I had not seen them since the 80's. So many spoke about their memories and about how dear a person and loving a friend Steve was. To see so many full of grief and support was a tremendous blessing. I know that his spirit had to be filled with joy and wonder overlooking us. I spoke first because I knew that if I could others would. And they did. Rhonda wrote her pages down and gave them to us. After each one spoke they gave us both a big hug. Jerry really fell apart at the church. He finally gathered himself to bring the urn downstairs to the fellowship hall. He said, "I guess I'm not as tough as I thought I was." One friend replied, "We knew that about you." One of Steve's long time friends,Eric Knierem is a pilot with Alaska airlines. His folks still live in the area and they told him about Steve's death. Eric and family live in Washington and were on vacation in Puerto Rico. Eric flew in just for the service. The service and the people helped dull the bitter sting. My only regret is that we did not get to speak to everyone. So many of the school folks, Steve's co-workers did not come down to the fellowship hall. But even in the hall with the food and visiting I did not get to speak to everyone. Jerry's brother, Rodney and family drove up from southern CA; his sister Barb flew in from Denver, my cousins Larry & Lori from Cottonwood and my aunt Pearl from Grass Valley and of course the Morrisons of Murietta, Alan (son) and Angel and Janine,grand daughter and Brian, grandson. Such are the times when we know what family really means.

Well life in the arctic tundra of MN goes on. Jerry acquired a bad head cold that is making the La Crescent rounds. Being a thoughtful husband he shared it with me in it's last stages. I of course had to improve upon it and am now in my last stages, at least I hope the last. The second full week is wearing me out mostly with the night cough; but this too shall pass. Some days last week I didn't even get dressed. Merely got up, drank hot tea and went back to bed. All my life whenever I'm sick I can sleep, so that works for me.

Such sub zero temperatures as we had through January prompted me to take Jerry's advice and buy long underwear. Even before in the CA Sierra mountains when I cross country skied I didn't need long underwear. Some days here when I ventured outside to help shovel snow in the beaming sun, I donned tights under my jeans. Jerry and others all wear longies. I noticed viisiting with a neighbor that she wore them too. So, maybe it's time for me to breeak down and invest to make life more tolerable in sub-zero temperatures. I was astonished at the cost of women's longies! So I waited till the big sale and even then at half off these cuddlies are costly. But now I'm ready. Thankfully now the snow is melting and temperatures are in the 40's and yesterday a record 51 degrees! We will be putting this long john winter behind us!

I've been working on the Snow White quilt for granddaughter. I've learned that I will not make another quilt starting with 2 1/2 inch squares. No sir, the next time I will have larger pieces. It is looking good but the cutting, sewing and pressing each seam is taking lots of time. That keeps me inside and out of trouble. I had to order some 108 inch wide fabric for the backing from Hancock of Paducah, KY. For several days I could not get through on the phone. Well, duh, it dawned on me. KY had those horrid ice storms and their power was out. Finally though I made contact. The fabric I selected will not be aailable until March 1, which is just fine. I will be done maybe with the front by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment